Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 23, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #5,236 of 18,509
The point is from a purely scientific perspective or theoretical physics stance chord dacs are the only company manufacturing true digital to analogue based technologies that adhere strictly to the laws of physics amazing as this may sound. Taking into account sinc function, interpolation filters, taps etc etc. This has nothing to do with the big players as they just have more manufacturing capability, assets and capital to invest. All other dac chips are in some way flawed when talking pure science. The key is reproducing the analogue signal as it was present in the ADC with no information missing, no flaws in design, just an exact copy of the analogue waveform before it was sampled. I studied this carefully even though my background is in military history and all other dac technologies are therefore somehow flawed. It's not my business to ask or be nosy. I am sure of what i say here though.

What was the name of the german general/field marshal that surrendered to the russians ?

Why did hitler not know about the D-Day landings until 2pm

What DAC did they use on huey helicopters for psyop’s in vietnam ?

:)

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #5,237 of 18,509
Currently listening to "Truly the love songs L.Ritchie" roon redesigned.

Oh my word soundstage is definitely deeper and wider on roon 1.6. confirmed by others too. RAAT really pulled through on this update.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #5,238 of 18,509
That would be enough for me however. I would convert my CDs to 705K files (I use 44.1K files from the CDs now anyway), and then feed Chord Dacs (Dave or Mojo) with it.

You could do 16x up sampling and sinc in matlab and the like or a C program, however, even if you got the "exact" data in a flac, you wouldn't end up with the same result by playing it on Dave I don't think. The reason is that Dave turns off its WTA1 which wouldn't happen in this case.

Jan 23, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #5,240 of 18,509
You could do 16x up sampling and sinc in matlab and the like or a C program, however, even if you got the "exact" data in a flac, you wouldn't end up with the same result by playing it on Dave I don't think. The reason is that Dave turns off its WTA1 which wouldn't happen in this case.

And could you do it in matlab or a C program etc. in real time / near real time?

Jan 23, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #5,241 of 18,509
And could you do it in matlab or a C program etc. in real time / near real time?

In C or assembly I think you could, has to be highly optimized. Would depend on the hardware, those new 16/32/64 core cpus would help, a GPU for sure could. You would loop and calculate the sinc coefficients on the fly, this would be too slow, might need lookup tables etc, could get lengthy. Becomes more a task of optimization and efficiency. HQPlayer probably the closest thing there is atm.

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #5,242 of 18,509
I thought the WTA1 would turn off anytime there was a 705KHz or higher on the input. I thought the WTA1 purpose was only to get it to 705-768 KHz, That is, the same job the MScaler does, but not with 16-bit or better accuracy as the MScaler does it, which requires 1Mtaps. Without 16-bit accuracy, important transient information is lost.
But i may have got something wrong.
What do you think is the trigger to switch off WTA1?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #5,243 of 18,509
I thought the WTA1 would turn off anytime there was a 705KHz or higher on the input. I thought the WTA1 purpose was only to get it to 705-768 KHz, That is, the same job the MScaler does, but not with 16-bit or better accuracy as the MScaler does it, which requires 1Mtaps. Without 16-bit accuracy, important transient information is lost.
But i may have got something wrong.
What do you think is the trigger to switch off WTA1?

I thought it could be looking at a flag in the bnc data coming from the mscaler. You have to send 16x on USB input and it could bypass it here too, like you say, since it is 16x already. You could be right.

Jan 24, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #5,244 of 18,509
One of the guys on Stereonet posted this image on their Chord M Scaler thread... thought I’d share.

I’d say these might be the second best looking million taps ever.

I
upload_2019-1-24_18-35-53.jpeg

Jan 24, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #5,245 of 18,509
One of the guys on Stereonet posted this image on their Chord M Scaler thread... thought I’d share.

I’d say these might be the second best looking million taps ever.

I

The cover shot for the Pursuit Perfect System video of Rob's talk at Nintronics also 'tapped' into this theme.

Jan 24, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #5,246 of 18,509
Finally back to using an app that both works and sounds good.

Since I dumped tidal and went qobuz in november, I’ve barely touched Roon but, now it’s back, it feels like home.

Just stumbled across E.L.O damn I forgot about these dudes, they have some great songs.

Jan 24, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #5,247 of 18,509
The cover shot for the Pursuit Perfect System video of Rob's talk at Nintronics also 'tapped' into this theme.

Is pursuit perfect system nintronics ?

What Rob, it’s not a good idea to do it on cats either.

I’m gunna get peta on yo ass

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #5,248 of 18,509
Is pursuit perfect system nintronics ?

No, Pursuit Perfect System is a review site who has reviewed Chord Electroinics kit here (plot spoiler he really likes it). However he does often loan gear from Nintronics and he did a video of Rob's talk at Nintronics.

He also runs a YouTube review site here where he does online reviews and there are several on there of Chord gear. Terry, who runs Pursuit Perfect System, has a Chord Qutest and Chord MScaler as part of his own set up which probably says how well he rates them having had the opportunity to try all sorts of other gear.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #5,250 of 18,509
No, Pursuit Perfect System is a review site who has reviewed Chord Electroinics kit here (plot spoiler he really likes it). However he does often loan gear from Nintronics and he did a video of Rob's talk at Nintronics.

He also runs a YouTube review site here where he does online reviews and there are several on there of Chord gear. Terry, who runs Pursuit Perfect System, has a Chord Qutest and Chord MScaler as part of his own set up which probably says how well he rates them having had the opportunity to try all sorts of other gear.

Ya I know about the dude, I messaged him a week or two ago, and I also see him on utub, but when I saw the video of him above, I thought he may of worked for nintronics. But thats not the case.

Edit

What, I’ve just seen that chord have new cases for hugo 2.

A horrible red but that could be a good seller in the asian market and a pure black one, judging by the looks they are not as nice looking as the van nuys ones, but they are 2/3rds less than the vany nuys case.

My one still looks boss and in mint condition. I even bought spares cuz I forsee leather being the new currency once brexit becomes reality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back