Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 3, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #286 of 18,495
And what software would that be ? Why wouldn’t he use WTA filter ? Because he cant

HQPlayer. He thinks his filter is superior to WTA filter. My ears tell me opposite. Otherwise, I sold my Blu2 long time ago.

He and Rob are most open to their technical implementations. But they are completely opposite in terms of filterings. He loves DSD and gives a lot of arguments why DSD is the way to go. At the same time, he also criticizes a lot of Rob’s filter. Before you Chord fanboys jump at me, I’m not defending him as I don’t have technical knowledge to say he is right or wrong. But I love to hear both sides of the story. I am looking for responses to his arguments. Anyone if interested should read some of his responses in CA.

Aug 3, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #287 of 18,495
Not only that take la scala formula, this Italian co, doesn’t beleive in filters period. Confusing in that who wins or what’s the difference. I just like TT tho, can’t say heard anything else so not helpful.

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #289 of 18,495
HQPlayer. He thinks his filter is superior to WTA filter. My ears tell me opposite. Otherwise, I sold my Blu2 long time ago.

He and Rob are most open to their technical implementations. But they are completely opposite in terms of filterings. He loves DSD and gives a lot of arguments why DSD is the way to go. At the same time, he also criticizes a lot of Rob’s filter. Before you Chord fanboys jump at me, I’m not defending him as I don’t have technical knowledge to say he is right or wrong. But I love to hear both sides of the story. I am looking for responses to his arguments. Anyone if interested should read some of his responses in CA.
You need to take a step back, and not get so emotionally involved in trying to correct his wrong views. It just eats up your time and soul.

someoneiswrong.jpg

If you follow the Chord threads long enough, you will experience other individuals writing rubbish about Robs work, and Chord products.

Two years ago there were many posts from Schiit owners/fans rubbishing the Mojo, and proclaiming the superiority of Schiit dacs using R2R technology.
Rob has posted about the problems with R2R technology https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/page-44#post-13985864
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/page-43#post-13985322
It is impossible to try and reason with (or correct/change their views) some individuals.
It is a lesson to learn, to try and not bite, and just ignore some of the posts, and eventually the Schiit posts stopped.

The same with HQ player.
Robs view on the non-merits of DSD implementation https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/page-34#post-13934433

You will not change the views of the coder of HQ player. They have invested a lot of time/money/emotion in developing the software, and probably feel very threatened by the announcement of M Scaler.
Several of us tried to help you last night, by pointing out that the key element was the WTA filter, but your response was that we (and particularly me) did not understand.
Surprise, surprise, this morning Rob has confirmed to you that the WTA filter is the key driver in enabling the M Scaler to reveal the improved transients and timbre.

If you want to regard those of use who tried to help you, as just more wrong individuals to be corrected, then I will follow the 'do not bite, and ignore his/her posts' approach.
It is your choice whether to keep fighting.

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #290 of 18,495

I think differences of opinion are good, it gives us poor audiofools options. I know some that don't like like Robs DACs, i know crazy people, must be sick in the head :thermometer_face:

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #291 of 18,495
Several of us tried to help you last night, by pointing out that the key element was the WTA filter, but your response was that we (and particularly me) did not understand.
Surprise, surprise, this morning Rob has confirmed to you that the WTA filter is the key driver in enabling the M Scaler to reveal the improved transients and timbre.

My original question why Rob cannot implement WTA filter in PC when he says no in earlier post. But now he revises his position that he can implement WTA filter in GPU computer. In the CA's Mscaler thread, someone posted similar opinion like Rob that WTA filter cannot be implemented in PC and got challenged. Now it is all cleared up.

There are quite a few people with enough technical knowledge in CA's Mscaler thread. It is really good to read their opinions on Mscaler. I strongly encourage you to read the CA's Mscaler thread. Some of the posts are irrelevant. But it is definitely not a waste of time.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #294 of 18,495

He!! you got me interested. It's not Ted B, is it? I only ask as he's the guru of DSD, and I'd like to read some of that as a counterpoint.

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #296 of 18,495

Fanboys ?I couldn't careless what you say about Rob,John or Chord,I listen with my ears not with my eyes, who are you again? Never heard of you ?

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #298 of 18,495
Common, can’t we all get along ?

Also, the debate between DSD and other techs has been going on forever. I enjoy both DSD and NOS as equally. However, this Pulse Arrays is something new and interesting. One thing I do not understand though, why USB interface given that all the timing errors are so important, why not Direct I2S ?

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #299 of 18,495
@adyc You shouldn't care, because if someone gives you an answer here, and then you go to that forum to argue with that guy, he'll counter your (well, technically not yours) response and leave you without arguments, because you'll not know what you're talking about. The result is 0 credibility and being ashamed, doesn't sound like a good plan.

Look, if someone really knowledgeable wants to argue with him, then a proper discussion will happen, but your strategy is going to a war with a chopstick.

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #300 of 18,495
But a GPU equipped PC could do it 
Didn't he talk about possibilities? Treat audio signals in the PC full of noise? Even my USB DAC is
away from my PC. I don't understand the idea. I prefer to treat audio signals outside the PC.
If someone can make useful program to do the job of M Scaler, just do it. No need of discussion.
I don't like meaningless discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back