Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 9, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #1,816 of 18,518
Thank you for all your responses while I have been asleep!

"Music sounds better in the night": Perhaps power-related or mood-related?

Impatiently waiting for my M Scaler. Still not available locally...

Me too. Hopefully this week.. The night time thing is weird but consistent. I have found a noticeable improvement most evenings and also at weekends. I'm happy to consider that it may be me not the equipment. :)

The M Scaler will bring you closer to the music, while an additional (needless) headphone amp will bring you farther away from it.

An amp will serve as a coloring instrument at best, but it will also take a lot of the M Scaler magic away, according to my recent experience.

I have to say that I have also found this to be true. Every time I have tried to insert an amp between the HD800 and Hugo it has sounded coloured or has lost something. The only benefit is some warmth with valves but not worth the loss of magic from direct headphone connection to Hugo 2.

I can't wait for the TT2 to ship so there is a BluTT2 vs BluHugo2 vs BluDAVE comparison to be done to unwind these various factors.

I can't wait for your insights!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #1,817 of 18,518
+1 on the waiting, my dealer is also saying end of week, fingers crossed!

I agree with the nigh time thing, but with me I think it is down to the obligatory 3 large G & Ts consumed prior to any nigh time listening session.

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #1,818 of 18,518
Regarding listening at night, a number of people on another forum have experienced it and put it down to the quality of the mains supply that seems to improve dramatically at night. While this should not affect Chord kit that uses switched mode power supplies, linear power supplied kit could well be affected. I have recently seen an article that shows the mess that home solar panel installations put on the mains supply, these close down after dark so it may not be only the G&T effect but something more scientific.

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #1,819 of 18,518
Regarding listening at night, a number of people on another forum have experienced it and put it down to the quality of the mains supply that seems to improve dramatically at night. While this should not affect Chord kit that uses switched mode power supplies, linear power supplied kit could well be affected. I have recently seen an article that shows the mess that home solar panel installations put on the mains supply, these close down after dark so it may not be only the G&T effect but something more scientific.
@Rob Watts posted a couple of years ago, that he used to notice a reduction in electrical noise during night time. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-2qute-dac-announced.749582/page-4#post-11263318

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #1,821 of 18,518

I guess it makes sense that there would be far less usage of the electrical network after hours, offices and factories etc would be shut, so there could be less pollution of our electrical supply during the nights????

Oct 9, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #1,822 of 18,518
Maybe it’s an Eu thang with your dirty dirty mains. Personally I think you guys are over analyzing. Blaiming usb and mains for something else.

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #1,824 of 18,518
Oct 9, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #1,825 of 18,518
Maybe it’s an Eu thang with your dirty dirty mains. Personally I think you guys are over analyzing. Blaiming usb and mains for something else.

So what could it be? If you know something don’t keep it secret :wink:

I think it is a combination of factors already mentioned plus perhaps that melatonin is produced in our brain to prepare us for sleep so we re more relaxed and in a more ‘creative’ state.
Having said that a pretty entry level PS Audio Dectet has extended that ‘late night sound ‘ throughout the day for me, so mains quality - not ideal in a big city- must play a big role too

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #1,826 of 18,518
Or you are confounding the error in the wrong variable. Ok so now you hear glare? More at a certain time of day than another, with mscaler or without it, with Dave or without it, via a server or without it, with USB or without it, with coax or without it, with a linear ps or without it. With ferrites for God’s sake or without it. I’m no detective and don’t hear these issues so I’m really not helpful

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #1,828 of 18,518
I'm pointing out that you're saying it's not the issue and it's something else, but you're not offering any ideas as to what that something else could be.
oh I understand what you are pointing out, that it may not be something else even though you have suggested what it is yet

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #1,830 of 18,518
Oops that is even though you have not suggested what it is that im not hearing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back