Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 9, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #1,832 of 18,413
So what could it be? If you know something don’t keep it secret :wink:

I think it is a combination of factors already mentioned plus perhaps that melatonin is produced in our brain to prepare us for sleep so we re more relaxed and in a more ‘creative’ state.
Having said that a pretty entry level PS Audio Dectet has extended that ‘late night sound ‘ throughout the day for me, so mains quality - not ideal in a big city- must play a big role too
I agree with you. I own PS audio dectet with nordost red dawn power cables. My mains quality is bad. Due to fluctuations, my iMac was damaged. Now everything is protected & the ground loop is gone.

I believe that EMI/RF/Ground loops affect the SQ to a great extent. After using ifi micro iusb3.0, nano galvanic, mercury 3.0 cables, ifi groundhog with my hugo2 there is a noticeable improvement in SQ. I can correlate with @Triode User description of RF interference on the website. (https://www.wavehighfidelity.com/storm-1/wave-storm-bnc-cable).

My hugo2 is in desktop mode. The power & data is fed separately by micro iusb3.0. Now, I cannot listen to Hugo 2 directly from the USB port or optical out. Ifi usb setup sounds better than my wire world supernova 7 optical cable imho.

I am planning to purchase m-scaler in early 2019.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #1,833 of 18,413
Any updates on solutions for the infra red sensor? Is everyone just sending the affected units for alterations? having phoned chord a replacement unit was mentioned. I want to get back to enjoying the scaler asap.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #1,835 of 18,413
Any updates on solutions for the infra red sensor? Is everyone just sending the affected units for alterations? having phoned chord a replacement unit was mentioned. I want to get back to enjoying the scaler asap.

I phoned my dealer, Fanthorpes, who in turn phoned Chord. It wasn’t clear but they seemed to think that they might have the part in a couple of weeks. I asked to be put down for the part to be posted to me for me to replace it.

No replacement unit was mentioned and that doesn’t make much sense when it is such an easy fix for the dealer or competent end user.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #1,837 of 18,413
I was able to test the Hugo TT2 and MScaler (it was on offer for 3500€) at an audio event last weekend, these were the first products I wanted to try but I was disappointed.

I tested both with a pair of Z1R, then the LCD 4, and later on with the Meze Empyrean (excellent by the way). I own a Hugo 2, which I like a lot, and honestly I was not perceiving any clear improvement with either the TT2 or the TT2+M Scaler (I felt an immediate improvement moving from the Mojo to the Hugo 2). If there’s any improvement (which I don’t deny there is) it may be subtle and/or may require some listening time to note and appreciate.

I asked the Chord distributor whether it would be possible to A/B test the M Scaler by just switching a button, he said that was not possible, so I first listened to the TT2 and then TT2+M Scaler.

I may give these products another try, but in the meantime my personal conclusion is that, at this price range, changing headphones can be a better next step to a notable and more worthwhile improvement; for instance, I was sable to listen to the Mr Speakers VOCE at the same event, and it certainly made me note there was an improvement on the music I use to listen compared to other headphones I own, I clearly noted a difference that way.

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #1,838 of 18,413
I was able to test the Hugo TT2 and MScaler (it was on offer for 3500€) at an audio event last weekend, these were the first products I wanted to try but I was disappointed.

I tested both with a pair of Z1R, then the LCD 4, and later on with the Meze Empyrean (excellent by the way). I own a Hugo 2, which I like a lot, and honestly I was not perceiving any clear improvement with either the TT2 or the TT2+M Scaler (I felt an immediate improvement moving from the Mojo to the Hugo 2). If there’s any improvement (which I don’t deny there is) it may be subtle and/or may require some listening time to note and appreciate.

I asked the Chord distributor whether it would be possible to A/B test the M Scaler by just switching a button, he said that was not possible, so I first listened to the TT2 and then TT2+M Scaler.

I may give these products another try, but in the meantime my personal conclusion is that, at this price range, changing headphones can be a better next step to a notable and more worthwhile improvement; for instance, I was sable to listen to the Mr Speakers VOCE at the same event, and it certainly made me note there was an improvement on the music I use to listen compared to other headphones I own, I clearly noted a difference that way.

I believe there is a pass through button on mscaler.

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #1,839 of 18,413
Oct 10, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #1,840 of 18,413

What the transient are you talking about:dt880smile:

Ok seriously now...
Maybe your source was not bit perfect?
As your dealer did not know about pass through mode..maybe it was in pass through mode all the time?
Also going through different headphones (that you are not familiar with... I suppose) while trying to find the differences that an m scaler makes might also be a flawed test.
As to headphones making a bigger change, I would say to always change the weakest link in the chain.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #1,842 of 18,413
Oct 10, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #1,844 of 18,413
@JaZZ How’s your M Scaler experience? How did it effect your EQ profiles and did you have to make any adjustments?
Hey Max!

My experience is very positive, and yes, the adjustments needed were/are massive – that's the reason why I still hesitate to post it. Will do after every synapse in my brain is perfectly aligned again.

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #1,845 of 18,413
Hey Max!

My experience is very positive, and yes, the adjustments needed were/are massive – that's the reason why I still hesitate to post it. Will do after every synapse in my brain is perfectly aligned again.

I would have thought all your synapses were Watts Transient Aligned by now but those million taps might take some time to fully burn your brain in :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back