Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 21, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #17,686 of 18,639
if i want to compare usb vs optical source is it ok to have both connected at once to mscaler and just switch between the two or should i do one at a time?

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #17,687 of 18,639
if i want to compare usb vs optical source is it ok to have both connected at once to mscaler and just switch between the two or should i do one at a time?
I had to physically disconnect the dual BNCs on the DAVE from the SRC-DX to fully appreciate superiority of the TosLink (into the DAVE).
When A/B-ed with the BNCs connected, the TosLink was still better, but not by a huge margin.
I suppose the same principle should be applied here.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #17,689 of 18,639
so optical was better than 1M taps you get with dual bnc?
Its logical that you should disconnect the coax cables when switching to toslink.
Bc its a copper connection that needs to be isolated.

Nov 25, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #17,691 of 18,639
Same issue with the WiiM Pro - only Airplay 2 is supported in Roon.
Mac Mini sounded a lot better than Bluesound Node, I will just use it as an endpoint.
iPad is less practical given that it needs to be changed periodically, almost negating its advantage.
Also, if I add a battery powered M Scaler between the Mac Mini and the DAVE, the ground loop issue will be resolved.
My bad - WiiM Pro is Roon Ready, I was overlooking the “Roon Ready” section in the Roon Settings.
It works like a champ.

Question: I will do my homework (listening), but has anyone tried to compare hi-res tracks through the M Scaler with their CD versions?
Do hi-res tracks sound better/different following the M Scaler’s magic?

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #17,692 of 18,639
Imo vinyl still has its place above even the best digital, I admit though I enjoy chord dacs a lot but It doesn’t compare. There’s a smoothness to the midrange and a realism to the treble that’s just not there on any digital I’ve heard. Added bonus is modern music is less compressed on records too.
Yep, the sense of ease and relaxed spund one gets from good vinyl is addictive. Thankfully, more people are trying to address exactly this problem with digital replay. Streamers from Innuos, the sacd/cd transport from PS Audio, passive power conditioning from Akiko Audio, Nordost, Puron, isolation and vibration draining from Arya Audio, countless power cables…all of them have managed to lower the noise floor, reduce electrical noise, and give digital replay that same sense of ease. Digital is finally coming of age, finally catching the very best of vinyl.

Nov 26, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #17,693 of 18,639
This discussion reminds me a bit of cinematic 24 frames per second. While higher FPS is technically possible (and some movies do so), many keep preferring 24 fps because of a certain naturalness.
Same with tube amplifiers and R2R dacs.

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/mobile-fidelity-scandal

As the article says, dacs differ in sound, streamers too, power supplies...What is 'digital sound' when it differs each time? Bits are bits became a laughing stock.
Does 100% analog sound exist nowadays? Even mains is digitally corrupted.

Some dacs are fit for certain music styles, like upfront detail fits for EDM...
Where to begin categorizing and labeling in general terms of what is better?

What is better has become a moot discussion imho. Whatever rocks your boat to happiness. 👍

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #17,694 of 18,639
As much as I am a big fan of the Mscaler and what is does, the form factor makes me sadly hide it away in a cupboard as you can just about see here if you look for the famous glowing Chord balls!

IMG_6272.jpeg

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it but I have a DAVE and as we all know Msacler was initially built with TT2 in mind

Then some time ago I stumbled across some threads by @Reactcore

I've posted here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/my-choral-housed-chord-mscaler.964931/ about my recent visit to him to hear his Super charged Dave but it was also a good chance to see his workmanship on the Mscaler up close and man this thing is a thing of real beauty!

I love the design of Dave and have it proudly on display as my centre piece in my headphone set up (As above) but I would jump at a heart beat to proudly put it back on display if mine looked like his! And yes I know Chord is soon to release a matching Choral Mscaler but...at what cost!

Link to how he did it is here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/my-choral-housed-chord-mscaler.964931/

But if you just want to see a quick picture here it is. The finish is amazing in fact up close the anodisation he has used is better than that of Chords on Dave as it blends in very well in the divide of the body but either way it's a perfect match. The pictures really don't do it justice and his work on the optical link to remove RF from it was very apparent and as always in his work, nicely executed. Just wish I had his skills and know how!

IMG_6186.jpeg
IMG_6185.jpeg

Nov 26, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #17,695 of 18,639
I love the design of Dave and have it proudly on display as my centre piece in my headphone set up (As above) but I would jump at a heart beat to proudly put it back on display if mine looked like his!
Lol i love your display place and those lighting. My el cheapo Ikea cabinet doesnt do my stack justice 😂

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #17,696 of 18,639
Yep, the sense of ease and relaxed spund one gets from good vinyl is addictive. Thankfully, more people are trying to address exactly this problem with digital replay. Streamers from Innuos, the sacd/cd transport from PS Audio, passive power conditioning from Akiko Audio, Nordost, Puron, isolation and vibration draining from Arya Audio, countless power cables…all of them have managed to lower the noise floor, reduce electrical noise, and give digital replay that same sense of ease. Digital is finally coming of age, finally catching the very best of vinyl.
I have always preferred Digital, vinyl to me is just too overly relaxed, real music doesn't sound like that.

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #17,697 of 18,639
This discussion reminds me a bit of cinematic 24 frames per second. While higher FPS is technically possible (and some movies do so), many keep preferring 24 fps because of a certain naturalness.
Same with tube amplifiers and R2R dacs.

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/mobile-fidelity-scandal

As the article says, dacs differ in sound, streamers too, power supplies...What is 'digital sound' when it differs each time? Bits are bits became a laughing stock.
Does 100% analog sound exist nowadays? Even mains is digitally corrupted.

Some dacs are fit for certain music styles, like upfront detail fits for EDM...
Where to begin categorizing and labeling in general terms of what is better?

What is better has become a moot discussion imho. Whatever rocks your boat to happiness. 👍

A properly smooth 24fps without judder when viewed on something like a high quality Sony Bravia has a dream like quality and emersion to it. When watching movies at high frame rates without motion blur of 24fps it looks much more true to real life but oddly distracting.

Same with audio, people have a preference for what they find the most immersive, I don't give a schiit what "the artist intended" I just want something to my taste that I can enjoy for hours without fatigue, some people don't want that though they want 100% accuracy, no distortion true to life presentation. Im not interested in seeing all the wrinkles and warts, I just want something that puts a smile on my face, vinyl does that for me but I also very much enjoy digital for background music or when its convenient.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #17,699 of 18,639
Dynamic range compression used in most of digital doesn't sound like real music either. You'd have to isolate it to well mastered audio only but then youre also missing out on a lot of musical content.
Well, not all digital music is compressed, and a lot of vinyl is also compressed and lacks the dynamic range. Digital now is fantastic, I understand that Vinyl has that tactile feel and it is a ritual for some, I understand why they love it. I don't, to me it is too much work and doesn't give me that live sensation.

Nov 29, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #17,700 of 18,639
As a classical music lover, and a frequent attender of classical concerts, I would strongly contend that listening to a modern digital recording via a Chord DAC played at a decent volume through a reasonably high-end HiFi system gets you astonishingly close to the live music experience. I am hoping that getting the M Scaler will get me closer still.
Got my M Scaler today, bought off ebay and in immaculate condition with all accessories and packaging. Hooked it up and OMG!
=8-0
Running dual BNC into Qutest everything sounds so live and organic. I thought the Qutest was good but this is just next level. Instruments sound so solid and tangible, occupying real space. A lot of music just sounds so different too, in a totally good way. I can distinguish between instruments with real clarity. I feel like I am hearing things in 3D.

Rest of my system is WiiM Pro streamer, Cambridge CXC CD transport, 1992 vintage Naim NAC72 / NAP140 pre-power amps and Fyne F501SP speakers. I thought the amps might be a limitation but clearly not.

The impact is on all music types I have tried, mainly classical and jazz, but also folk and some electronic.

It will take me a year to pay for it, but so far I think it will be worth it.

Edit: Oh, and I was forgetting what forum I am on - Naim Headline headphone amp and Sennheiser HD600 headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back