Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 26, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #1,501 of 18,615
For those of you looking for a very good pair of 75ohm bnc leads I can highly recommend Phasure's Blaxius cables (@PeterSt)

Have just took a leap of faith on them as Peter (@PeterSt) sells them as analogue interconnects, but as I have been very pleased with the lush USB cable I thought I would try them.
For €265.00 (+delivery) they are great value for money, certainly beating a pair I have recently tried from my dealer costing 3 times as much

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #1,502 of 18,615
Just want to say that adding an M Scaler to your system is an absolutely extraordinary, stunning change. It is extremely keenly and reasonably priced - remember that a year ago people who thought they knew what they were talking about said it would be barely cheaper than a Blu2, when in fact it is half the price of a Blu2 - so even if you guys in the States have to cough up a bit more, you are still getting a bargain for what it will do with your music.

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #1,503 of 18,615
Just want to say that adding an M Scaler to your system is an absolutely extraordinary, stunning change. It is extremely keenly and reasonably priced - remember that a year ago people who thought they knew what they were talking about said it would be barely cheaper than a Blu2, when in fact it is half the price of a Blu2 - so even if you guys in the States have to cough up a bit more, you are still getting a bargain for what it will do with your music.

How so, compared to a good server? Or a good server versus noisy Mac or pc. What are we comparing?

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #1,504 of 18,615
How so, compared to a good server? Or a good server versus noisy Mac or pc. What are we comparing?
I don't understand why you keep going back to the same line of thinking when people speak of performance gains. It seems fairly obvious to me. You're going from a 44.1kHz file to a 705.6kHz file. From a high res file to an ultra high res file. These gains will sit on top of any upstream upgrades you make. It's like going from listening to MP3's to high res FLAC files. Whether you use a server or run direct from a MAC simply changes your foundation.

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #1,505 of 18,615
I don't understand why you keep going back to the same line of thinking when people speak of performance gains. It seems fairly obvious to me. You're going from a 44.1kHz file to a 705.6kHz file. From a high res file to an ultra high res file. These gains will sit on top of any upstream upgrades you make. It's like going from listening to MP3's to high res FLAC files. Whether you use a server or run direct from a MAC simply changes your foundation.

Thank you.

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #1,506 of 18,615

Confusing, understand going from mp3 to flac, high res means nothing to me, compared to 44.1 or upsampling. So let’s leave high res out. If one has gains at present are their further gains above these gains.

Simple question, cause just saying oh ya going from 384 to 705 is all the difference. It s a foundation changer. It might be? But really. I want some basic a/b

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #1,507 of 18,615
Has anyone tried the mscaler with an LPS like Paul Haynes (SR4 or SR7)?

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #1,508 of 18,615
Confusing, understand going from mp3 to flac, high res means nothing to me, compared to 44.1 or upsampling. So let’s leave high res out. If one has gains at present are their further gains above these gains.

Simple question, cause just saying oh ya going from 384 to 705 is all the difference. It s a foundation changer. It might be? But really. I want some basic a/b

Did you watch the video where Rob Watts covers the differences that the MScaler makes? Or the impressions that have already been posted in this thread?

Forget about your server, it doesn't matter when making these comparisons as we don't know how it sounds. Take all the impressions you've read/heard and apply them to you situation. It's not any different because you have a server.

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #1,509 of 18,615
Did you watch the video where Rob Watts covers the differences that the MScaler makes? Or the impressions that have already been posted in this thread?

Forget about your server, it doesn't matter when making these comparisons as we don't know how it sounds. Take all the impressions you've read/heard and apply them to you situation. It's not any different because you have a server.
There seems to be very few impressions on this thread. At least any of basic clarity and compared to what? Concerning Robb and the graphs, means nothing to me. Not only is it above my pay grade, as a consumer I only care about sound.
So you have heard mscaler and concluded it matters not what you feed it, it equally does what it does and negates any source advantage. Ie m scaler improves sound equally from any source? Really? A basic a/b and qualitative summary would do it for me.

Sep 26, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #1,510 of 18,615

Can you please link it ?

Sep 26, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #1,511 of 18,615
There seems to be very few impressions on this thread. At least any of basic clarity and compared to what? Concerning Robb and the graphs, means nothing to me. Not only is it above my pay grade, as a consumer I only care about sound.
So you have heard mscaler and concluded it matters not what you feed it, it equally does what it does and negates any source advantage. Ie m scaler improves sound equally from any source? Really? A basic a/b and qualitative summary would do it for me.

Then you must have missed where Rob touches on how it impacts the sound you hear during that video, as he covers it fairly well.

I haven't personally heard one, but you can't get your server out of your mind. I'm fairly certain that the MScaler doesn't care what you feed it as long as it's a clean digital source serving 44.1/16. I can't see why a fancy "server" would make any bit of difference, assuming you're feeding the MScaler a good digital source.

Sep 26, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #1,513 of 18,615
What you're asking would be like asking to quantify what it looks like to go from a standard definition television to high def... I'll summarize it this way. I have spent a lot of money on the digital side of my system. If I had the choice of giving up Blu/HMS and upgrading every other digital component to end game status, or keeping Blu/HMS and running direct from my MAC, I would choose the latter. The impact of m-scaler is much more significant than any other change I've made on the digital side.

Sep 26, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #1,514 of 18,615
What you're asking would be like asking to quantify what it looks like to go from a standard definition television to high def... I'll summarize it this way. I have spent a lot of money on the digital side of my system. If I had the choice of giving up Blu/HMS and upgrading every other digital component to end game status, or keeping Blu/HMS and running direct from my MAC, I would choose the latter. The impact of m-scaler is much more significant than any other change I've made on the digital side.
well I'm happy for that change, I guess I'm there already. Im not degrading anything but I guess im looking for an A/B coming from a reference source. I get the fact that m scaler solves a source issue from noisy macs, laptops, phones etc....Ie no one needs a server just run your source to mscaler. But what about those that do? Sorry for the replay but before i or anyone would slap another box in-between a chord dac and a reference source, i would like a qualitative a/b.
Carry on, over time im sure there will be, cheers...

Sep 26, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #1,515 of 18,615
I get the fact that m scaler solves a source issue from noisy macs, laptops, phones etc....Ie no one needs a server just run your source to mscaler. But what about those that do?
I don't think you do get it. It doesn't solve any upstream deficiencies. If anything, it may point out upstream issues by giving you a clearer view into the music. It's not intended to replace a streamer. It's not a one or the other decision. Fed by a high end streamer it will provide better results than fed by a low quality source, but you'll have gains on top of your source regardless. My point was that the change is not subtle, where many other upgrades on the digital side can be subtle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back