htc's new htc 10 is certified by the Japan Audio Society
Apr 12, 2016 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Hesthrim

New Head-Fier
So htc's new flagship launched today, featuring what they're calling "Hi-Res" audio, as certified by the Japan Audio Society.

Check out the audio page http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-10-audio/

They're boasting "Boomsound Hi-fi Edition" dual speakers, and hi-res audio certified earbuds along with some kind of app that can "measure your hearing" and provide a custom EQ.

Further, they've included a 24-bit DAC that'll up-convert 16-bit (although no mention of which DAC it is specifically) and a "high peformance headset amplifier".

This could be a decent phone for audiophiles.  Or, it could be marketing ********. Either way, should be fun to read some review! What do you guys think?

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 53
I believe the Snapdragon 820 SOC includes a DAC that is capable of 24-Bit audio, so I suspect it's the same Snapdragon DAC + separate amp set-up that HTC has been using in their One line for a while. This generally gives their phones more driving power, since the amp is better than what Snapdragon bundles in, but you're still somewhat limited by the quality of the DAC. It would be nice to be proven wrong though, a separate, higher quality DAC chip would be great. I'm doubtful though, I think it'll probably fall below the V10, Meizu's flagships and the like if it's only using the Snapdragon DAC

All speculation at this point of course

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 53
I messaged HTC about specs on DAC/AMP, still waiting on reply......

I'm looking forward to this phone, the G5 was a huge let down.

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 53
Apr 12, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 53
Hey guys found some info from Arstechnica: "The HTC 10 features a 1W headphone output along with a 24-bit DSP and DAC that boast a THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion Plus Noise) of -104dB and noise level of -120 dBV. I tried it out with a few headphones, including a so-called "high-res" pair bundled with the phone, and it sounded excellent. And, like the A9, it drove my quad-driver UE900 headphones with ease."

1W doesn't sound too bad to me. Might even compete with V10 (amp-wise, DAC probably not)

Apr 12, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 53
I messaged HTC about specs on DAC/AMP, still waiting on reply......

I'm looking forward to this phone, the G5 was a huge let down.

Why was it a let down for you?

I'm using one right now and I'm not impressed. The software is good but the hardware isn't. Inexplicably bad design choices.

I've ordered the Hi-Fi Plus but it's delayed (Europe).

If the Hi-Fi Plus makes the poor battery life any worse, I will return both and get the HTC 10. Likewise if there is a big gap between it and the rest of the phone.

I had a ZX2 and was hoping for a phone that is good enough by itself, so the G5 with Hi-Fi Plus excited me...

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 53
It was a let down because B&O not selling in the US at all and never will.

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 53
Seriously hope HTC delivers. I have been holding on to my M8 for quite some time now. 
Though, if they were trying to snipe the Audiophile community, they're not doing themselves any favors by hiding the specs of the DAC until launch. 
Finger's crossed though. I have faith in HTC :)

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #10 of 53
Since HTC A9 they have emphasized a 24-bit DAC but never specified what it was - they never said it wasn't integrated. Wait for a Mediatek variant of this device - chances are it will have an integrated Wolfson DAC like on the M9+, X9, and E9+ etc..

I can't really speak for the One series I had the Butterfly s which was released after the M7 with much the same specs, but unfortunately they really screwed up the amp voltage (only 0.35V), distorts at high volumes and it hisses with IEMs; so much for GSMArena's review saying it had loud and clean audio quality. I was considering the M9 and M9+ but I found the camera and stuff to be tradeoffs and went with the Xperia Z5. Despite having only 0.35V as well, it hisses less than the HTC and has less distortion at high volumes, though it does sound a bit more edgy in the highs.

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #11 of 53
Yes, I hope HTC excels here too!
In particular, I find this feature of Personal Audio Profile rather exciting!
HTC 10's Personal Audio Profile tests each ear's frequency sensitivity, and saves a profile for each headphone.
This is then used to tune the output to each headphone. Very interesting approach!
I guess one could even save a different profile for different hearing environments!

Check it out!
https://youtu.be/6uUqSMc6xdg

Of course, the devil is in the details of how the tuning is achieved.
On the other hand, will this kill the character of the headphones and make them all sound the same?
Also, for someone like me whose two ears are quite different, will this re-balancing end up sounding weird, since my brain is probably used to the inherent biases?

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #12 of 53
The Personal Audio Profile sounds similar to a feature on my Note 5. I found it made the audio sound unnatural, so hopefully HTC's feature will be more useful.

What kind of tuning do HTC typically have on their phones? Warm, bright, fairly neutral?

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #13 of 53
The Personal Audio Profile sounds similar to a feature on my Note 5. I found it made the audio sound unnatural, so hopefully HTC's feature will be more useful.

What kind of tuning do HTC typically have on their phones? Warm, bright, fairly neutral?

I've owned HTC phones since the One X days. Had an M7 and an M8 too.
Generally, Boomsound is a little bit of gimmick imo. It amplifies the volume a little while pushing the lows to the fore a bit but nothing that really throws off the overall song in general.
However, that being said. I have always felt that HTC has always been at the front of the pack in terms of sound as compared to other top competitors like Samsung or Apple. 

The signature is generally warm, but I wouldn't call it neutral. Pretty fun sounding in general which is exactly what I go for.
Your mileage may vary. 

Apr 15, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #15 of 53
yes - thinking i may upgrade from my M8 (which i have been quite happy with!)

128g SD card = plenty of spotify premium and flac files

I also have an e07k, but never use as can not hear any difference (though the eq on it is nice to have, but not a required)
When I want to drive my harder to drive cans around the house (LCD 2, XMF Vibro) I double amp to my Cayin C5 and happy with results too!  (M10 power may make this redundant)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back