Htc One
May 24, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #241 of 533
Quote:
I have had the iPhone 4, 4S and 5. The HTC One is better than all of them. The HTC also has better Bluetooth audio as it had the apt-x codec for very high quality Bluetooth stereo.

But the apt-x codec should need a apt-x codec enabled speaker in order to shine. Are there any apt-x adapters around for existing made for i speakers?

May 24, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #242 of 533
Quote:

But the apt-x codec should need a apt-x codec enabled speaker in order to shine. Are there any apt-x adapters around for existing made for i speakers?

As per usual I will recommend the Samsung HS3000. Bluetooth receiver with Apt-X, very versatile unit. Plug in IEMs when that's what you need, cans when that's what you want, 3.5mm-3.5mm cable into a stereo or speaker or whatever when that's what you want. They can be had like $30-40USD on Ebay. 

Oh, and you're quite right of course, both playback device and receiver/headphones must have Apt-X or you fallback to A2DP.

May 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #245 of 533
Hey!

I'm new to this forum, but I've stumbled across it before reading the Sony MH1 reviews.
Quote:

As per usual I will recommend the Samsung HS3000. Bluetooth receiver with Apt-X, very versatile unit. Plug in IEMs when that's what you need, cans when that's what you want, 3.5mm-3.5mm cable into a stereo or speaker or whatever when that's what you want. They can be had like $30-40USD on Ebay.

And you could then use something like this, to connect to your existing iPod connector in your car or a speaker system at home:
http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockBoss.html
or this, which would also keep the HS3000 or whichever BT receiver you're using, charged:
http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockBossplus.html

I also need help though, so please bear with me.
I just got an HTC One as well and I've spent the last few yours researching how to best connect it to my car's stereo. In the past, I had a car mount for my iPhone with an integrated dock connector. Connected to the dock connector I had CableJive dockXtender cable going in to my glove box where it connected to the Apple AV cable which allowed for charging the iPhone (with a seperate USB car charger I had installed) and unamplified analog audio to my car stereo. The dock extender cable actually wasn't necessary, I just didn't want to see the bright white Apple cable in my otherwise all black interior.
This was very convenient, as I just had to plop the iPhone into the car mount and everything was working. Audio, power, etc. I could even chose not to charge the Phone all the time by unplugging the USB charger in the glove box to extend the battery's life time.

Now I'm looking for something similarly seamless for the HTC One and I've come up with two possible solutions:

a) Wired
Seems like some Samsung models allow for analog audio out via USB, but the HTC One doesn't. And I definitely don't want to connect an ugly separate cable into the phone's headphone jack every time. The only solution I've come up with is this:

Car mount with integrated USB cable that goes into the glovebox --> USB-OTG cable --> DAC (like the Fiio E7) --> Analog audio to the head unit

The pros would be that the signal is unamplified, the sound quality would probably be very good and I'd prefer a wired solution. I guess the drawback would be that the DAC would drain the One's battery, unless I can work in some kind of USB Y-cable to connect the phone to the 12V charger at the same time!?
EDIT: Seems like the the signal will still be amplified by the the E7. Anybody know a reasonably priced alternative that just does straight up DAC?

b) Bluetooth
Similar to what NZtechfreak described. Just put something like the HS3000 in the glovebox where I already have USB-power and analog audio in. Then use the car mount with the USB cable routed into the glove box to charge the phone when needed.
I have no experience with Apt-X, so I don't know how the sound quality would be. Other than that, this seems like a much simpler solution. The only downside I see is that the signal going into my head unit would already be amplified. (It would also drain the battery if the phone is not plugged in.) And I'm not sure if I can connect the One to two bluetooth audio devices at the same time. I also have an old school BT speaker phone system in my car from way before A2DP was invented, let alone Apt-X.
wink_face.gif

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Oliver

May 24, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #247 of 533
I use the hs3000 in my car connected into the aux socket. The HTC One connects to the hs3000 via Bluetooth.

The difference with apt-x is like night and day better. I could NEVER use another device without this if using Bluetooth.

May 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #248 of 533
Quote:
Good choice mate.

The Yamaha EPH100 pair well with pretty much every source I tried.

Wow, you weren't kidding about the phones.  I finally received a pair from Amazon last night and have spent the morning listening to them with a variety of sources.  The best $US 138.00 I've spent on head-fi in a long time.

My test track for these was The Doors, People are Strange (96kHz/24-bit ripped from DVD-Audio, then re-sampled to 48/24 with iZotope 64 for iPod and again to 44.1/16 for LAME encoding to MP3).  I listened with my desktop rig (see sig), an iPod 5.5 w/ Fiio E11 and the HTC One (using Google Play and BubbleUPnP using DLNA and the hi-res source).

I was really impressed with the separation of instruments - far better than my Senn 598, which is unnerving.  And the bass... and not just a lot of bass, but clear, pronounced sound.  With The Doors, you can really hear the bass track in a way I am not used to with my other phones.  Not quite the detail and neutrality of the Shure SE420s, however, and, of course, no real soundstage that you get with over-the-ear phones, like the Senns.  And, the vocals are not as 'lush' as the Senns (the 598s really excel at that dynamic, IMO).  But, overall, an incredible value and my new daily-driver for work since they isolate so well and are very comfortable (unlike the Shure SE420).

My only knocks on these phones (the Yammys): microphonics are a small problem - not as bad as others I've tried, but the Shures spoiled me in this regard; and, there is some background hiss with these which, again I am spoiled, I am not used this with my other gear combinations.

Back on topic w/ HTC One: I can't find a combination with the HTC One that I like, sound-wise (excluding using an external DAC).  I love using Google Play, because of the UI and the convenience of cloud-streaming my whole collection.  However, it was really apparent in trying out my new phones that the sound quality is a problem.  I am not ready to blame the phone, but I need to try out some different Android players with the HTC One and sync'ing music directly to the phone.

A question: will the HTC One be able to handle hi-res tracks, or do I need to down-sample before copying over (I don't want tracks that will be truncated on playback, which is what BubbleUPnP did during my test - you can tell, because it sounds like an echo chamber and it's not subtle)?

May 25, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #249 of 533
Glad you like the yamahas, so far they've been my best pairing with the one.

I have some Vsonic Vsd1 on the way which should be interesting.

I have some 24k rips kicking about,i'll give them a try, i don't think geko has the htc, he just likes jumping in when someone mentions the yamahas 
tongue_smile.gif

Ok thrown on some diana krall, 24bit 96khz rips all from vinyl, poweramp is playing them very well, no noticeable difference from what it should sound like.

Just tried stock player, again playing very well, doesn't sound as nice as poweramp but that's down it having no eq settings as such.

As for wireless audio, it has all of the latest audio standards, bluetopoth 4.0 using aptx codec, and the fastest wifi i think it's a/c?

Anyway i've had no issues, feels strange streaming to my D8000 tv, only to take the audio via optical to the amp, all this coming from a teeny phone.

Impressive stuff.

May 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #250 of 533
Quote:
Glad you like the yamahas, so far they've been my best pairing with the one.

I have some Vsonic Vsd1 on the way which should be interesting.

I have some 24k rips kicking about,i'll give them a try, i don't think geko has the htc, he just likes jumping in when someone mentions the yamahas 
tongue_smile.gif

Ok thrown on some diana krall, 24bit 96khz rips all from vinyl, poweramp is playing them very well, no noticeable difference from what it should sound like.

Just tried stock player, again playing very well, doesn't sound as nice as poweramp but that's down it having no eq settings as such.

As for wireless audio, it has all of the latest audio standards, bluetopoth 4.0 using aptx codec, and the fastest wifi i think it's a/c?

Anyway i've had no issues, feels strange streaming to my D8000 tv, only to take the audio via optical to the amp, all this coming from a teeny phone.

Impressive stuff.

Cool... sounds like Poweramp may be the tool for the job, but the HTC One doesn't have that much storage available for lossless music (I have the 32Gb version), so I am not excited about going back to syncing, as opposed to streaming.  I am using AptX with the HTC bluetooth audio adapter in my car and I am impressed with that device.

May 25, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #252 of 533
Quote:
tongue_smile.gif

That says something about whether 24-bit sound is worth it or not really, since you're listening to it played at 16-bit.

May 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #253 of 533
Quote:

That says something about whether 24-bit sound is worth it or not really, since you're listening to it played at 16-bit.

From what I understand, the One down-converts to a maximum of 16/48 (Android standard?!) - which is why I've given Neutron another try, with its bespoke way of converting... - to the best of my knowledge, if you put 24/96 in, you get 24/96 out...

I've 'normalized' all of my tracks (taken off a bit of bass, and midrange), and the One sounds good again, not as good as the Sony Z1060 having had the same (normalizing, albeit basically flat EQ) done to its library, but - that is comparing apples to oranges...

I really should do something with my Xperia Z, to see what that is capable of.........

[Edit]

Sorry NZ - I see that we're agreeing, not disagreeing - I should learn to read!

May 27, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #254 of 533
Purchased the HTC One a few weeks ago.  I absolutely love this device; it is the most near perfect phone.  Audio is amazing and can power DT-770 250s quite respectably particularly with DVC and PowerAmp.  It is also quite the match for Ultrasone PRO2900s (one of the most underrated / underappreciated headphones IMHO).  

One concern I faced was the inability to get USB audio support.  I tried a FiiO E7 and the JH3a with no success.  I found the 1.29 update on XDA and tried that as well.  Even tried programs such as USB host diagnostic and USB Audio Recorder to init the kernel stream.  A mouse plugged into the OTG cable would work perfectly.  Figuring the USB dac support was a rumor, I submitted to the lack of functionality.

It wasn't until tonight that I retreated from XDA search and found this device thread.  After reading about so many of you having the functionality, frustration began to set in.  It is often the most simple solution that turns out to be overlooked.  Apparently the USB to mini cable I used was insufficient.  I am now pleasantly listening to JH-16s through a JH-3a.  Sublime portable listening.  
size]

Not one to chalk things up to a solution without knowing why, I think I have figured out the reasoning.  I believe the USB to mini cable is completely functional in the specification it was designed for.  It is the USB to mini cable for a FiiO E10.  A cable that is only designed to recharge and not pass data.  The supporting evidence: when the cable is used a notification would state insufficient power to charge the device and proper charging should be used.

So very happy to be able to listen how I always wanted.  I pass along this information and embarrassment in the hopes that it will help another.

May 27, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #255 of 533
I will say I've never got USB OTG to work on the M7...

Have had a few firmware updates since, so charging up the E17 to see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back