Htc One
Apr 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #121 of 533
Took me some adjusting as I'm used to oled, but i much prefer lcd for general use.

As for my ho I love her to bits, trouble is she's always in my pants :p

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD

Apr 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #122 of 533
One thing the One does exceptionally well (for a cellphone) is drive high impedance 'phones... The Heir Audio Tzar 350s are driven just fine from the headphone out (better amped, but still VERY credible)

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #123 of 533
Took me some adjusting as I'm used to oled, but i much prefer lcd for general use.

As for my ho I love her to bits, trouble is she's always in my pants :p

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD

I see you're using a Touchpad! How does the One compare in terms of sound quality? I would hope it's much better...

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #125 of 533
Got mine today, now to get to testing a lot of stuff...

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #126 of 533
Had a weird issue with my One this morning, was using it with the Fiio E12 (and, for a short while the Fiio stock 3.5mm cable), and whenever pressing (well, touching!) the volume control, it caused an earth somewhere as there was buzzing through the amp...

Swapping back to the cable that I got many years ago with the Headroom MicroAmp/MicroDac, all was good...

Unsure really what the deal was with that - hopefully just that the stock patch cable from the E12 is a cheap one...

Other than that, all is still good in the HTC world :)

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #128 of 533
Picked up an HTC One last week and have been putting it through its paces.  Unbelievable as a phone and makes my iPhone 5 feel cheap - well, relatively speaking.

Like my other two Android devices (Nexus 7 and Nexus S 4G), there is some EMI noise when accessing the network.  It's pretty noticeable with my Shure SE420 IEMs, but it's quite a bit less than what's presented by my Nexus devices - very tolerable, but I am spoiled by my desktop rig's pitch-black background.

However, with my Grados, listening over the network to MP3/320 tracks from Google Play or lossless FLAC from my local DLNA server, I don't really notice the noise - even at the beginning when the app is loading the next track.

With Google Play, the volume is pretty high - at full volume it's uncomfortable for me and probably distorted, somewhat (I was test listening with Skrillex, so maybe it's the music and/or it's recording level - no offense to Dubstep fans).

With BubbleUPnP with DLNA from a local server, listening to Steve Wilson's Grace for Drowning from HD Tracks (48/24) sounds great, but I am at full volume to reach a desired listening level.  Switching to the Senn HD-598, as expected, the volume lowers somewhat and I would need an external amp for active listening (background would be fine, though).

Overall, the sound is really nice, for a phone or otherwise.  But switching back to my desktop rig, with the same tracks, I perceive the phone to be bright and edgy, with exaggerated bass and washed-out mids.  Thinking that this could be the effect of the Beats EQ, I disabled Beats and re-played the same Wilson tracks.  There is less bass when you turn off Beats EQ, but without being able to match the volume of my desktop rig, it's hard to make a fair comparison, but my opinion would be to disable the Beats EQ if you are using phones and high quality source material.

Regardless, the HTC One is an incredible phone and is my new portable, daily-driver.  Now I need to find new IEMs to replace the Shure SE420s
L3000.gif

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #130 of 533
Quote:
When you say you have to crank the volume to the max to get to the desired volume...do you listen to music super loudly?

Well, I don't think I really listen at excessive volume.  My desktop rig is way too loud for me at 2/3s volume with either of my phones.  But based on what I've read on Head-Fi, I would assume that many others do like ear-shredding volume.

As a reminder from the post, track playback volume varied quite a bit and for most listening it might be just fine.  However, with my Grados and playing back some tracks from my DLAN server, I found myself setting the volume to max, right away - as opposed to letting it creep up over time.

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #131 of 533
Wow.  With the exception of my 600 ohm DT990's, I don't have a single pair of device/earphones combo that I think I could get to full volume without blasting a hole in my tympanic membrane.  I get the sense though that I like to listen at quieter levels than most.

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #132 of 533
Regardless, the HTC One is an incredible phone and is my new portable, daily-driver.  Now I need to find new IEMs to replace the Shure SE420s :L3000:

It can be a funny match with some phones, dirt cheap I'd say phillips she3580 they are impressive out of the one.

My main favourite are yamaha eph100 they pair very well.

I find myself slowly warming to my FXZ200's they seem to work best when quietly running.

Apr 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #133 of 533
Quote:
It can be a funny match with some phones, dirt cheap I'd say phillips she3580 they are impressive out of the one.

My main favourite are yamaha eph100 they pair very well.

I find myself slowly warming to my FXZ200's they seem to work best when quietly running.

Thanks for that... I read some impressive reviews for the Yammys on Amazon, so I will add them to my wishlist.

Apr 30, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #134 of 533
Thanks for that... I read some impressive reviews for the Yammys on Amazon, so I will add them to my wishlist.

Good choice mate.

The Yamaha EPH100 pair well with pretty much every source I tried.

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #135 of 533
Strange. My DT880/600s could've gotten too loud to listen to purely off the One. They got plenty loud at 75% volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back