HTC Droid Eris Vs. Sansa Fuze
Dec 30, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True. All of us love to have a 128GB phone that can play music for 5 (exaggerated) hours.

Come on now, my Blackberry Bold gets 10-12 hours of audio, while my 1st gen iPhone got nearly 30, which is more than many dedicated mp3 players.

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
germanium, thank you.
Sooner or later, phones will replace a big chunk of mp3 player. It is better they pay attention to sound quality than gimmicks, isn't it?

True.

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by prone2phone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe you could open up your Droid Eris and tell us what hardware is inside Droid Eris,? because it's interesting why such an ordinary phone like Droid Eris sounds so much better than sansa fuze. it should be something extraordinary inside this little baby. I of course have in mind Droid Eris.

Sorry not into breaking the warrantee on the phone. I need to have the seals intact if I need to replace it for any reason. As much as I like it as a media player, I need it as a phone 1st & formost. On my home equipment I don't care about that as I do with the phone as the phone serves a major function besides a media player. It also takes special equipment to open it that I don't have.

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how is the battery life on the droid?

Not super but about on par for a device of its type. I recommend getting an automotive power adapter if you spend a lot of time out like I do. I recommend also getting one of the free task killers as any open programs uses extra battery. closing a programs window does not close the program. it is still loaded & active till you use the task killer & too many open programs will slow the performance of the phone as well. Talk time if used only as a phone is about 3.5 hours.

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #23 of 47
Perhaps the sound on the HTC Eris is good, but the software players released so far for the Android platform are just toys. They have some cool features like automatic downloading of lyrics or sharing your playing habits with your friends. But I haven't found any player with an emphasis on sound control, or any with gapless playback. And they have a limited codec support. But the real downside of using a phone as MP3 player is that it is a phone. That means that someone can (and will) disturb you while you are listening to music. And nothing is more irritating than that!

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by trondis23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps the sound on the HTC Eris is good, but the software players released so far for the Android platform are just toys. They have some cool features like automatic downloading of lyrics or sharing your playing habits with your friends. But I haven't found any player with an emphasis on sound control, or any with gapless playback. And they have a limited codec support. But the real downside of using a phone as MP3 player is that it is a phone. That means that someone can (and will) disturb you while you are listening to music. And nothing is more irritating than that!

Yes, but you won't miss potentially important phone calls either so I consider it a feature rather than a drawback. That is unless you give your phone number out to people that like to call you for anything no matter how unimportant. Avoid doing that & you should be fine.

On your other points I agree, but in my case sound quality matters most to me & i found that I really don't need the other things you talk of as the sound quality of most the files I have don't require any tweaking to have the results I want in terms of proper frquency balance.

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #25 of 47
Jan 1, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but you won't miss potentially important phone calls either so I consider it a feature rather than a drawback. That is unless you give your phone number out to people that like to call you for anything no matter how unimportant. Avoid doing that & you should be fine.

On your other points I agree, but in my case sound quality matters most to me & i found that I really don't need the other things you talk of as the sound quality of most the files I have don't require any tweaking to have the results I want in terms of proper frquency balance.

I won't ever receive a phone call that is more important than my music listening. I hate the idea of always being available on the phone - I can always call back in not too long.

Apart from that - I forgot to mention the bad battery time of most phones. If I use the phone for other purposes the battery goes flat in a wink. Dedicated players usually have good battery time.

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by trondis23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I won't ever receive a phone call that is more important than my music listening. I hate the idea of always being available on the phone - I can always call back in not too long.

Apart from that - I forgot to mention the bad battery time of most phones. If I use the phone for other purposes the battery goes flat in a wink. Dedicated players usually have good battery time.

To each there own as I do have need to answer important calls even if listening to music. What if your wife is out or girlfiend & gets hurt? You going to ignore thier calls by listening to music on a media player that doesnt alert you to the call? You may not get a chance to call back to find out what happened to her for hours or even days if you don't answer at the time of her call. If shes in the hospital they have to turn off any cell phones & if she has to go into surgery immediately there may be a long recovery that she would not be able to contact you nor you her as her phone would be off due to hospital rules.

Battery time can be an issue but I circumvent that by having chargers in all my vehicles both work & personal & no I don't listen to music while I drive as it is to dangerous in my line of work (truck driver heavy hauling 80,000lbs +, Heaviest hauled 101,000lbs gross)

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #28 of 47
I just got the Eris last week and while I got it as a phone/PDA first and foremost, I would be thrilled if it could also act as a reasonably good DAP.

Much more investigation and experimentation si required but my initial thoughts are that it won't be adequate. My primary concern is battery life. On "standby" (relative term since it seems apps are always running on the phone) I'm lucky if I make it through the day without the battery running down. I'm no longer a road warrior so having a charger at home and in the office is feasible.

I have not played around with any of the software apps included on the phone or looked around for any available apps. I have installed the Pandora app which is pretty cool, but I found the sound to be a bit thin, and lacking bass. It may have been the IEMs I was using as they are the the RE252 and I haven't seemed to be able to find the right tips for it yet.

Still I have my doubts that this is going to be a DAP replacement. I am willing to sacrifice some measure of sound quality for convenience, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the Eris last week and while I got it as a phone/PDA first and foremost, I would be thrilled if it could also act as a reasonably good DAP.

Much more investigation and experimentation si required but my initial thoughts are that it won't be adequate. My primary concern is battery life. On "standby" (relative term since it seems apps are always running on the phone) I'm lucky if I make it through the day without the battery running down. I'm no longer a road warrior so having a charger at home and in the office is feasible.

I have not played around with any of the software apps included on the phone or looked around for any available apps. I have installed the Pandora app which is pretty cool, but I found the sound to be a bit thin, and lacking bass. It may have been the IEMs I was using as they are the the RE252 and I haven't seemed to be able to find the right tips for it yet.

Still I have my doubts that this is going to be a DAP replacement. I am willing to sacrifice some measure of sound quality for convenience, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Bass on mine is equal to my Essense STX sound card & therefor not lacking in any way. IEMs do need a really good seal to get anything resembling bass though. I use Etymotic Research ER4P's myself which have adaquate but not overpowering bass. All the other single balanced armature driver IEM's that I tried seem very lacking in the bass relative to the ER4P's. Most of the dynamic canalphones have much more bass but have other problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back