HTC Droid Eris Vs. Sansa Fuze
Jan 15, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the Eris last week and while I got it as a phone/PDA first and foremost, I would be thrilled if it could also act as a reasonably good DAP.

Much more investigation and experimentation si required but my initial thoughts are that it won't be adequate. My primary concern is battery life. On "standby" (relative term since it seems apps are always running on the phone) I'm lucky if I make it through the day without the battery running down. I'm no longer a road warrior so having a charger at home and in the office is feasible.

I have not played around with any of the software apps included on the phone or looked around for any available apps. I have installed the Pandora app which is pretty cool, but I found the sound to be a bit thin, and lacking bass. It may have been the IEMs I was using as they are the the RE252 and I haven't seemed to be able to find the right tips for it yet.

Still I have my doubts that this is going to be a DAP replacement. I am willing to sacrifice some measure of sound quality for convenience, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

You can go to google market place & download an app killer that will take care of the running apps. Short battery life is an issue but can be overcome easily by having more than one charger & putting them in places where you will most likely need them. So far I haven't had much of an issue with that when just using the media player for music. Only if I talk a lot on the phone which I do at times with my girlfriend.

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can go to google market place & download an app killer that will take care of the running apps. Short battery life is an issue but can be overcome easily by having more than one charger & putting them in places where you will most likely need them. So far I haven't had much of an issue with that when just using the media player for music. Only if I talk a lot on the phone which I do at times with my girlfriend.

How much longer?

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much longer?

How much longer depends on which programs are running in the background & if you you are using the GPS features so there is no pat answer. I just keep my chargers handy & it works fine for me

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much longer depends on which programs are running in the background & if you you are using the GPS features so there is no pat answer. I just keep my chargers handy & it works fine for me

Do you know when the 2.x update's coming out?

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #35 of 47
I don't think anyone knows when the next Android update will be. On various forums I've read that 2.1 for phones running 2.0 would be released sometime early first quarter as well as 2.0 for Eris and Hero. We'll believe it when we see it.

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #36 of 47
Just got my HTC Droid Eris - will update once I plug in my customs.

No turn-by-turn GPS is a bummer =(...oh well that's tasked to the iPhone then..

When's that damn Android 2.x update coming out -.-

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #37 of 47
If and when we get the 2.x upgrade we can have turn by turn nav.

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If and when we get the 2.x upgrade we can have turn by turn nav.

Exactly. T-by-T is the only way to go. Do you know what else 2.x may bring? Updated browser? Better flash support? The Eris's flash lite's pretty weak at the moment, as I just tried youtube - not too great.

Haven't had time to download some music onto it - how'd you say its SQ was?
What made you decide on a HTC Droid Eris?

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #39 of 47
Not 100% sure on what else an update will bring. Definitely better video support.

I haven't downloaded any music either. I've tried the Pandora app which is pretty cool. Sound quality is OK. May be better with my own rips.

I primarily got it because I wanted to get a cheap smart phone. I lost my Palm Centro and needed a quick cheap replacement. I'm on Verizon and they didn't have the new Palms at the time. $99 price point seemed like a good deal for the Android operating system.

Honestly, all I really need is a phone with email. The email program that comes with the phone sucks with anything other than Exchange but I'm using an app called K9 which works great. And if you use Gmail that integrates well. I really don't care all that much about web browsing or videos.

There are some cool games on it though. Check out Robo Defense and Cestos.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #41 of 47
So far I've tried the HiFi Man RE252 and Sennheiser PX250.

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #42 of 47
Do you own any high-end universals/customs? Initial impressions, the Droid Eris has some rather big bass impact (through my Sennheiser MX 760s, I'll audition with customs soon).

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #43 of 47
Just the RE252 and UM2. RE252 seems pretty revealing. Bass was ok. Nothing to get too excited about. YMMV.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #44 of 47
Okay, scratch that, bass is nothing after an AB comparison with my Samsung P3/Touch. Also not as detailed, or revealing. However, soundstage IMO is as good, if not better than the DAPs. (tested w/UE11s)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back