HT Omega Claro Halo *or* ASUS STX
Dec 30, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"superior SNR"? these are the RMAA measurements for the Claro Halo lineout:

and just like the STX in a loopback in RMAA, the SNR figure is most likely limited by the ADC.

Your RMAA measurments are limited but what does that have to do with the output of either card? -Nothign as the RMAA results are not accurate representations of the card.
If you measured both cards with RMAA properly the STX and ST would still give much better numbers because of the DAC on both cards.
The HALO output of the HALO is spec for about 117db.
The STX and STX's DAC output is spec'd for about 124dB which is quite the difference.
Look it up. The STX ans ST have much better SNR and dynamic ranges then the Halo, that is just a fact.
Quote:

anything >100dB is overkill anyway: iXBT Labs - ASUS Xonar D2 Sound Card

So I guess we should all stick with lower quality audio gear? Did you actually read that information before posting it? - as my guess is no.
Either that or you didn't uderstand any of it. What about 24bit audio?
Quote:

and most op-amps have a max CMRR of 100/110dB.

Yes.....AND? Do you know what that actually means? My guess is you have no clue because you using that measurment in a wrong context and it does nothing to limit SNR of the end circuit! IF it did then the cards outputs would be limited but they are not.
Quote:

I've tried these 3 cards(Halo/ST/STX), they sound very similar(same DSP/same HP amp)...and the CMI8788 is really not great for games, go X-Fi if you're a gameholic IMHO.

Well consider the cards are entirely different(DAC,ADC's, opamps,caps) perhaps it is your gear that is producing a similar sound? -You know, your installing the same opamps, using the same headphones amplifier and the same cans.
Quote:

also xbitlabs says that the Xonar suck at 44.1kHz: Universal Soldier: ASUS Xonar D2 PM Sound Card Review (page 13) - X-bit labs

and they said that it wasn't fixed on the STX: Two in One: Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card Review (page 8) - X-bit labs

this russian site doesn't get bribed to publish review tests that look like press releases...for a change
wink_face.gif

Do you work for the site? How do you know anything about the site?
Thats right, you have no idea!
Maybe if you study up and figure out what your talking about perhaps you can put out a review!
Would be a interesting read considering all the BS your trying to shovel now!

Dec 30, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

I sold the STX coz it was unbearable after I got the ST, and I sold the ST coz it was way too agressive and fatiguing to me...listening to music felt like Chinese torture w/ bamboo sticks stuck under my nails...I'm trolling a bit, but you get the idea
biggrin.gif

so, what are you using then?

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #34 of 40
^------Don't forget it's HD Audio. If I had a Dollar for all my friends and colleagues that tell me there Onboard Realtek "HD Audio+Logit-$hits is just as good as the more expensive stuff I buy, I would be a rich man. It's no wonder Company's like BOSE thrive.

ALC888:
Hardware Features High-performance(weeeee) DACs with 97dB SNR
High-quality(for the mass dulded) analog differential CD input
Built-in headphone amplifiers for each re-tasking jack

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradigm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^------Don't forget it's HD Audio. If I had a Dollar for all my friends and colleagues that tell me there Onboard Realtek "HD Audio+Logit-$hits is just as good as the more expensive stuff I buy, I would be a rich man. It's no wonder Company's like BOSE thrive.

ALC888:
Hardware Features High-performance(weeeee) DACs with 97dB SNR
High-quality(for the mass dulded) analog differential CD input
Built-in headphone amplifiers for each re-tasking jack

Yes, some people just don't know the difference and don't want to.
You can read all kinds of foolish postings by people trying to talk new users into using onboards or use cheaper junk sources mainly because they are!

Dec 31, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradigm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-Which of the 2 has a more Detailed/warm yet less fatiguing sound
many have said that the STX is aggressive(does this refer to both headphone and RCA?)

I've had these two sound cards earlier this year, and I was able to test them (Halo with opa627au/AD8620 & STX with opa627au):

-Quality: In term of quality, they are very similar (as in both are very good). I can't really discern any meaningful difference between them.

-HP out: STX wins here. The STX produced a more fuller sound and less harsh trebles (it may have something to do with STX's ability to get power from your PC's PSU). In addition, the ability to switch between Hi/Lo Impedance is a big plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back