HT Omega Claro Halo *or* ASUS STX
Dec 29, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

I don`t think using headphones is audiophille, but you know..

I agree, If I had the money believe me 2 channel Speaker setup in sound conditioned room all the way. However as you know headphones are popular due to there abilty to produce a clean sound and resolve detail that would cost 15 fold on a speaker config which would also need a room with sound proofing, as headphones are bascially a controlled sound ennclosure with speakers at a fraction of the cost. They just offer such great value.

Drawbacks to headphones are that there not as fun as speakers and can't produce the soundstage high end speakers can, plus with speakers you can feel the music. Music is also mastered for speakers hence it will always sound better on high end speaker config. Until they master the massive music catalog in Binaural for headphones, Speakers>Headphones

Just my 2 cents, based on my limited experience

Dec 29, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

same DSP(CMI8788), you can read an unbiased review against the X-Fi here

So that means the STX and the HALO perform the same in games?
Also I read the Xbit Labs review and the reveiwer says that the C-media is close on par to the X-fi and even in some games performs better, so why is it that you recommend X-fi to C-media?

Dec 29, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #18 of 40
from my experience, the STX in Q3 and so was pretty bad...as the guy from xbitlabs says "the Xonar Essence STX gives you no sense of direction towards the sound at all", and the sound was rather harsh...but well these 3 cards sounds agressive anyway, so if that's the sound signature you're looking for..you might be in for a treat.

I agree about the higher your equipment grade, the lower you end up listening to...I'm quite amazed by how low of a volume I often listen to on my current set up
darthsmile.gif

but I don't agree about the headphones not being audiophile....get the right card, the right (discrete or so) op-amps, good phones like the cd3k and it'll be as audiophile and the SS as wide as can get
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradigm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, If I had the money believe me 2 channel Speaker setup in sound conditioned room all the way. However as you know headphones are popular due to there abilty to produce a clean sound and resolve detail that would cost 15 fold on a speaker config which would also need a room with sound proofing, as headphones are bascially a controlled sound ennclosure with speakers at a fraction of the cost. They just offer such great value.

Drawbacks to headphones are that there not as fun as speakers and can't produce the soundstage high end speakers can, plus with speakers you can feel the music. Music is also mastered for speakers hence it will always sound better on high end speaker config. Until they master the massive music catalog in Binaural for headphones, Speakers>Headphones

Just my 2 cents, based on my limited experience

Nothing to add to this,

Dec 29, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

from my experience, the STX in Q3 and so was pretty bad...as the guy from xbitlabs says "the Xonar Essence STX gives you no sense of direction towards the sound at all", and the sound was rather harsh...but well these 3 cards sounds agressive anyway, so if that's the sound signature you're looking for..you might be in for a treat.

leeperry are there any mods I can do to the STX in order to make it more warm or less harsh, like changing OpAmps, maybe adding some Burson OpAmps? By the way speaking SNR I am going to assume the STX's RCA outs are better to use than the Onboard AMP

I think I will have to pass on the forte as the Xbits reviewer says the sound of the Forte is not really good, is less than d2, STX, prelude. Now normally I would not care since I would run another sound card in the PC for music and Movies, but he also mentions that the Forte drivers are hard to install and do not allow EMU and other Auzentec cards to work together in same system. Which means I can't use my 1212m
frown.gif

Now I it seems i am nailed to the wall here.

Dec 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #21 of 40
I haven't heard the Burson's on the STX, but many ppl love them(you can ask GWorld here on the forum)
smily_headphones1.gif

two OPA-Earth on the Claro Halo were still very agressive...when I put back my HD2, it was a MAJOR relief for my ears.

several members have started pulling off caps from their Xonar Essence...maybe a good start? http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/up...ml#post6233452

Dec 29, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #22 of 40
leeperry I am just going to get the STX and go from there.
What I am looking at in terms of cost for these STX upgrades, cause if they start to cost the same as a dedicated DAC I see no point in them.

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #24 of 40
lol, yes I know the upgraded Clock Chip which further cleans the signal being fed to the circuit.

Is it really going to make the difference, the only reason I ask is cause the ST is PCI, and I want to feel warm and fuzzy in the inside knowing I have a PCI-E card. My motherboard is very lonely with 2 empty PCI-E 1x slots. In all seriousness do the benifits of the improved clock chip out weigh having a PCI-e Future interconnect.

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #25 of 40
all I can say is that once you've heard the ST, the STX becomes unbearable w/ a mushy stereo image...but don't take my word for it, order both and decide whichever one is best for you!

the CMI8788 datasheet gives a jitter spec of 750ps, this is like ENORMOUS...so better feed it tightly, or fear the consequences
evil_smiley.gif

but the clock improvement makes it even more fatiguing, that's the flip side
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

but the clock improvement makes it even more fatiguing, that's the flip side

So either I get the one with mushy Stereo image(STX) or one that Fatiges(ST). If I choose the ST will the previous mods you linked help eliminate the fatiguing effect?

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradigm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I choose the ST will the previous mods you linked help eliminate the fatiguing effect?

I sold the STX coz it was unbearable after I got the ST, and I sold the ST coz it was way too agressive and fatiguing to me...listening to music felt like Chinese torture w/ bamboo sticks stuck under my nails...I'm trolling a bit, but you get the idea
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by OICWUTUDIDTHAR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get the x-fi pro and you will be happy.

I have owned an X-Fi Elite pro and xonar stx + ST

The Xonars are a major improvement in every area.

macrog

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by macrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned an X-Fi Elite pro and xonar stx + ST

The Xonars are a major improvement in every area.

macrog

Definately agree here. The Elite pro sounds thin & glaring compared to either of the Xonars I've tried (D2/PM & Essense STX). Imaging better on the STX than the D2/PM But both sound excellent tonally. That is full of life & body of real instruments & voices with no glare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back