HR Millet Hybrid owner, 1st one made
May 16, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #16 of 72
If i had a gun to my head right now, i would say the HR for a overall listening...however, the bass is alittle lighter then i expected...however the mids are much more apparent....the DV seems like to have a slight roll off to the mids into the deep bass...it extended DEEP, almost made the hairs on the back of neck stand up.

Really, honestly it comes to what you listen to most...if you want boom, alittle less brightness, alittle less datail...then go for the DV.

With my headphone of choice (650s) the DV sounded to dark, alittle to bassey and not enough detail. The Cymbal crashes didnt have that ring to it.

On the other hand, there are times where i can see the DV is a better choice....like maybe if you were a grado person, the Millet might bring out some harshness in the highes. Im sure most of this can be control with the gain.

Crossfeed is sorta a mixed bag. It kinda ruins the bass if you ask me. Now, ive listen to this for about 30mins..so take this with a grain of salt. I can see how it would be useful in some Jazz, like Miles or Trane...however for rock i think it will just introduce some unwanted distortion.

On a scale of 1 to 10, first impressions with stock tubes, solid 8.

Same scale for the DV with Stock tubes very weak 7.5...with some heavy spending on tubes (over 100$ extra) then a 8.5 for the DV.

Now, i havent been researching tubes for the millet. However, i did shoot Tyll a message asking him what other tubes he would recommend for the 650s.

Just some first thoughts, will change in time after some more HEAVY listening...

May 16, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #19 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dom, I'll see what I've got kicking around the house for spare MH tubes. You might see a little care package in a few days...

God Nate you are the MAN...btw, your tube is going out tonight after work or tomorrow morning...im stuck working till 7pm, but going to run to Kinkos or something to get out a package.

Is it true that the 12FK6 has the lowest amount of gain of all the tubes?

Im thinking the bass is sounding alot more like mid instead of deep clean bass...its a tad muddy for certain music.

May 16, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #20 of 72
Here is a quick pic, forgive the camera...im getting a new one soon.

ampsdacsbb4.jpg

May 16, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #21 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a quick pic, forgive the camera...im getting a new one soon.

ampsdacsbb4.jpg

Thanks for the pic and initial impressions. The millet looks great
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #22 of 72
Just a follow up, bass has really started to open up with some warm up time. Its still alittle muddy in some music, i think its just my ears getting use to the mids.

May 17, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #24 of 72
its well used, so im sure its burned in..

May 17, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #25 of 72
Your tower isn't tall enough. A desktop power supply would fit the bill. Plus it will come in handy when the balanced desktop comes in
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #26 of 72
yea, im going to get it as a upgrade later when i can save some money up...

May 17, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #28 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a chance to compare Pete's HR Millet to my HR Millett w/ Home module and DPS; there is very little difference. Just have fun tube rolling for now and save your hard earned cash for what lays in the future.

Good advice there. If I could only take that advice sometimes.

May 17, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #29 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a chance to compare Pete's HR Millet to my HR Millett w/ Home module and DPS; there is very little difference. Just have fun tube rolling for now and save your hard earned cash for what lays in the future.

what tubes are you using?

May 17, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #30 of 72
Im using the 12AE6A and the bass did seem to get alittle better...mid sounds much nicer for sure. I can honestly say, i like the bass and mids of this tube over the 12FK6 for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back