HR Desktop question
Jun 26, 2007 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

tubaman

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
Does the single end performance of the Desktop balanced (home module + home DAC) equal the single end desktop with home module and home DAC?

Thanks!

Jul 9, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 22
Hi there. I was on Headroom's Web site last night and observed that HR is now accepting preorders for the new Desktop Portable amp. However, there's not a lot of real information (i.e. specifications) available on it. The product page mainly consists of marketing copy explaining in broad terms what it features. However, it leaves me with a few questions. I hope that I'm not jumping the gun too much here and that this is an appropriate place to ask these questions (the subject does seem pretty broad).

1. Since there is no mention of a choice of voltage wrt the power supply, would I be right in assuming it is an international supply? If so, is it the Astrodyne sold with the Desktop Balanced amp?

2. As I asked about the new Micro portable in another thread here, what's the deal concerning LiPo battery replacement? Is the battery a custom job or standard item and is it user replaceable? I should point out that while returning to factory for battery replacement within the same country is not a big deal, needing to ship back from overseas locations for something so mundain as battery replacement is a real negative, especially with all the customs hassles (and extra costs) that can accompany such an endeavour. Maintenance or repair under warranty is one thing, but there's a good chance you'll never need to do this anyway given the quality of construction, etc. On the other hand, it's a dead cert that a rechargeable battery is going to fail eventually, so the need to return to manufacturer is guaranteed. Also, how long does it take to fully charge the LiPo battery?

3. On the product page, it mentions that a preregulator is used to ensure power is drawn from "both power supplies" evenly. I am confused. How does this apply to a 4-cell LiPo battery?

4. Does the quoted 12 hour operating time include using the DAC? When the input selector is set to analog, does this turn off the DAC, giving a longer operating time, or simply change the input source without affecting the DAC at all?

5. There are no options on the 2007 Desktop Portable like there are on the older one. How does the amplification component compare to the micro/desktop/home modules? And how does the DAC compare to the Micro DAC, the DAC in the Micro Portable and the standard desktop DAC module used in the Desktop line?

6. Does the on/off switch turn the amp off when it is plugged into mains? In the old Desktop Portable, the on/off switch has no effect in this case according to the manual.

7. I would guess that it has the same physical dimensions as the old Desktop Portable, but how much does it weigh?

8. Is the price on the product page a special preorder price? If so, what will the regular sale price be?

Cheers.

Jul 9, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there. I was on Headroom's Web site last night and observed that HR is now accepting preorders for the new Desktop Portable amp. However, there's not a lot of real information (i.e. specifications) available on it. The product page mainly consists of marketing copy explaining in broad terms what it features. However, it leaves me with a few questions. I hope that I'm not jumping the gun too much here and that this is an appropriate place to ask these questions (the subject does seem pretty broad).

1. Since there is no mention of a choice of voltage wrt the power supply, would I be right in assuming it is an international supply? If so, is it the Astrodyne sold with the Desktop Balanced amp?

2. As I asked about the new Micro portable in another thread here, what's the deal concerning LiPo battery replacement? Is the battery a custom job or standard item and is it user replaceable? I should point out that while returning to factory for battery replacement within the same country is not a big deal, needing to ship back from overseas locations for something so mundain as battery replacement is a real negative, especially with all the customs hassles (and extra costs) that can accompany such an endeavour. Maintenance or repair under warranty is one thing, but there's a good chance you'll never need to do this anyway given the quality of construction, etc. On the other hand, it's a dead cert that a rechargeable battery is going to fail eventually, so the need to return to manufacturer is guaranteed. Also, how long does it take to fully charge the LiPo battery?

3. On the product page, it mentions that a preregulator is used to ensure power is drawn from "both power supplies" evenly. I am confused. How does this apply to a 4-cell LiPo battery?

4. Does the quoted 12 hour operating time include using the DAC? When the input selector is set to analog, does this turn off the DAC, giving a longer operating time, or simply change the input source without affecting the DAC at all?

5. There are no options on the 2007 Desktop Portable like there are on the older one. How does the amplification component compare to the micro/desktop/home modules? And how does the DAC compare to the Micro DAC, the DAC in the Micro Portable and the standard desktop DAC module used in the Desktop line?

6. Does the on/off switch turn the amp off when it is plugged into mains? In the old Desktop Portable, the on/off switch has no effect in this case according to the manual.

7. I would guess that it has the same physical dimensions as the old Desktop Portable, but how much does it weigh?

8. Is the price on the product page a special preorder price? If so, what will the regular sale price be?

Cheers.

1. It is an international power supply. It is not the Astrodyne and it does not work with any of our other amps.

2. It is a custom battery and currently the plan is to have them replaced at the factory. I will look into the possibliity of making provisions for field replacement. Both the Desktop Portable and new Micro Portable take four hours to charge.

3. With a regular analog headphone amp like we sold before we added DAC's, the typical power supply was something like +/- 15VDC. Power was drawn equally from both rails. With the addition of a DAC, more power is drawn from the (+) supply and if we left it that way, eventually, the power to the headphones would become unbalanced. With the pre-regulator, we ensure that the potential output for both + and - voltage swings are identical keeping unwanted distortions at bay.

4. Yes, the playtime is stated with the DAC running. The DAC can not be turned off completely but if no digital signal is present, it draws much less current than when there is a signal present.

5. The amp section is a Home Module and the DAC is better than a Micro DAC and on par with a Desktop DAC.

6. The old Desktop Portable power switch was somewhat like a selector that would switch between battery and AC power. The new Desktop Portable always runs off of its batteries even when plugged into the wall adaptor. The power switch actually turns the unit on and off.

7. Yes, its the same dimensions and weighs 1.7lbs.

8. That is the regular price.

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. It is an international power supply. It is not the Astrodyne and it does not work with any of our other amps.

2. It is a custom battery and currently the plan is to have them replaced at the factory. I will look into the possibliity of making provisions for field replacement. Both the Desktop Portable and new Micro Portable take four hours to charge.

3. With a regular analog headphone amp like we sold before we added DAC's, the typical power supply was something like +/- 15VDC. Power was drawn equally from both rails. With the addition of a DAC, more power is drawn from the (+) supply and if we left it that way, eventually, the power to the headphones would become unbalanced. With the pre-regulator, we ensure that the potential output for both + and - voltage swings are identical keeping unwanted distortions at bay.

4. Yes, the playtime is stated with the DAC running. The DAC can not be turned off completely but if no digital signal is present, it draws much less current than when there is a signal present.

5. The amp section is a Home Module and the DAC is better than a Micro DAC and on par with a Desktop DAC.

6. The old Desktop Portable power switch was somewhat like a selector that would switch between battery and AC power. The new Desktop Portable always runs off of its batteries even when plugged into the wall adaptor. The power switch actually turns the unit on and off.

7. Yes, its the same dimensions and weighs 1.7lbs.

8. That is the regular price.

When can we expect some images of the unit inside and out?

Jul 18, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 22
This amp looks like the real deal! Can you tell me about the "pre-amp output" on the rear panel? Looks like some Toshiba portable DVD players have optical/digital out. Very, slick.

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2.I will look into the possibliity of making provisions for field replacement.

6.The new Desktop Portable always runs off of its batteries even when plugged into the wall adaptor. The power switch actually turns the unit on and off.

is this the same for the Micro Portable?

Jul 25, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #11 of 22
Is the charger for the desktop portable also available seperately? I would like to have one at home and one at work and maybe one in my carry-on bag
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the charger for the desktop portable also available seperately? I would like to have one at home and one at work and maybe one in my carry-on bag
wink.gif

Not yet but it will be.

Aug 2, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #13 of 22
I would like to know the Specs for this unit as none are shown on the website.
I intend to use 600 ohm phones with this amp so I would like to ascertain to the amps driving ability.

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #14 of 22
i was all jazzed up to sell my microdac/hornet and order this so i could use it as a DAC to send to my speaker amp also. Then i was told that the preamp outputs still have all the headphone circuitry in the path. When will you guys be releasing a headphone amp with a DAC with a loop out that just comes straight out of the DAC circuitry? does the desktop with dac do this? thanks.

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does the desktop with dac do this?

Yes. The switches and volume do affect the signal sent to the preamp outs on the Desktop (at least they do on the 2006 that I have).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back