HR-2 & XP-7 Op Amp Rolling Kit
Sep 4, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #31 of 83
I am in Scotland and it's looking like it'll be the end of October before I get back to the US so please take me off the list for now. I would love to get the pack when I get back though!
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #32 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I am in Scotland and it's looking like it'll be the end of October before I get back to the US so please take me off the list for now. I would love to get the pack when I get back though!
biggrin.gif

How is your training, as the latest recruit for Scotland Yard, going....
biggrin.gif

Long time no see. Have fun.

Amicalement

Sep 4, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #33 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by genetic
How is your training, as the latest recruit for Scotland Yard, going....
biggrin.gif

Long time no see. Have fun.

I absolutely love Scotland! Great place, great people, much different pace than I’m used to.
biggrin.gif
The festival has been fantastic, the only down side is that my wife stated a new job and couldn’t come out to see the festival with me. She has served notice that there will be a trip back because of this!
tongue.gif
It'll be a while before I'm around again, sometime around the beginning of November I think.

Sep 24, 2004 at 1:12 PM Post #35 of 83
It is not easy to address accurately all the nuances of these op-amps, since there's no way no do A B comparison, unless you have two amps connected to the same source and playing the same cd.....

However, to my ears the best match for the XP7 is the AD797, excellent bass, and its highs are not as harsh as the original AD825. The "s" sibilance in bright recordings is gone.
I find the LT's op-amps similar in sound to the AD797, it seems like they were their answer to Analog Devices. However, I like the AD house sound.

The biggest dissapointments IMHO were the VERY expensive OPA627BP ( more than 30 dollars each!!) they sound TOO mellow and smooth to my taste, the bass is weak and the highs sound rolled off, and the harsh AD8610 that sound like the AD825.

To be honest, the idea of rolling amps on my Xp7 crossed my mind once or twice but I never did it because I thought I would not be able to hear any differences at all. I was wrong, there are some op-amps that sound like others but there are some that really make a difference.

Thanks again John.

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #36 of 83
I would like to get on the list for the kit. john_jcb told me to post here. Whoever is last, please contact me so I can get in line for the kit. Thanks.

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:52 PM Post #37 of 83
mariowar, would you mind elaborating on the types of music you listened to and tell us something about your source equipment?

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #38 of 83
Erikzen, I use my Xp7 with my beloved Panasonic SL-SW870 discman and the sinergy is outstanding with my Sennheiser HD590. The bass is killer, the mids flow wonderfully and the highs are very precise without being fatiguing at all. Consider that the Ad797 are tad smoother on the treble than the Ad825s but the bass is clearer and defined, it is just perfect. Additionally the Equinox cable bring the Senns to a new dimension, the highs are very "accurate" and the music sounds fuller.

I usually listen to progressive rock, blues and hard rock, but sometimes I like smooth jazz. However, keep in mind that I'm very picky on the recordings. If it doesn't sound right to me, I just don't listen to it.

If you have the chance, check Kansas LEFTOVERTURE, Joe Louis Walker IN THE MORNING (Telarc-Blues), Ayreon THE HUMAN EQUATION (Progressive),IQ SUBTERRANEA (prog), Peter Cincotti (s/t and On The Moon/ smooth mainstream jazz), any of the Govt Mule (blues rock), Allman Brothers HITTIN THE NOTE, Deus Ex machina CINQUE (prog jazz rock), Dave Gruisin HOMAGE TO DUKE (jazz), there are just a few examples of what I consider good sounding cds without being TRUE audiophile recordings.

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #39 of 83
mariowar, thanks very much for the additional impressions and information. I'm always looking for well recorded albums so I appreciate the recommendations.

If you like jazz, although it's not smooth jazz, I have a recommendation for you: New York Reunion by the McCoy Tyner Quartet on Chesky records. The sound is so pure and clear. I use this as a sort of reference CD for testing out a system.

From the liner notes:

"Special thanks to Geroge Cardas for his tireless effort in creating our mike cables.

Recorded using a specially modified microphone with all tube Manley Reference electronics by David Manley from Vacuum Tube Logic of America."

Incidently, McCoy Tyner is shown listening back to the recording through a pair of K-1000. I'm not that familiar with AKG cans, but it looks like during recording they're using K141s.

Sep 26, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #40 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by mariowar
I usually listen to progressive rock, blues and hard rock, but sometimes I like smooth jazz. However, keep in mind that I'm very picky on the recordings. If it doesn't sound right to me, I just don't listen to it.

mariowar, I received your pm regarding recordings but your inbox is full. Clear it out and I'll respond to your message.

Sep 26, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #41 of 83
I will give it another try. Can someone contact me regarding getting in line for the opamp rolling kit. If anyone knows that they are the last to receive the kit, please let me know.

Sep 26, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #42 of 83
I think I'm next in line. Patrickhat2001 is after me. I would contact him and find out if there's someone after him. Also check with john_jcb. I'm sure he won't mind but they're his opamps and he'll want to keep track of who's got his stuff.

Sep 26, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #43 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
I think I'm next in line. Patrickhat2001 is after me. I would contact him and find out if there's someone after him. Also check with john_jcb. I'm sure he won't mind but they're his opamps and he'll want to keep track of who's got his stuff.

john_jcb is the one who told me to post to find out who is last on the list. I will contact Partickhat2001. Thanks.

Oct 7, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #44 of 83
Please excuse me for being slow but I'm still on my first opamp in the kit. I promise this will go faster in the future. The past week had everything coming at me at once.

Opening up the package was a bit overwhelming. There are so many chips! How am I going to get through this? Well, I already have the 797 in my amp and I've listened to that exclusively. So I don't need to audition that chip. I also have the 8610 although I have not listened to those. I'll probably ship the package and listen to my chips later, so that's already two down.

So which opamp to try first? So many choices so few ears. Why not go for broke - the 627BP! Following the detailed instructions, the opamps were rolled in a snap. At first I had my HD25s plugged in and I noticed when I turned the volume up (with no music playing, of course) I noticed some hiss. I had never noticed that before but I haven't had the HD25s all that long and I never noticed this with my DT 931 headphones, which have a higher impedence. In any event, this is not important as I would never turn the amp up that high when actually listening to music.

The first thing I noticed with the 627s was that the volume seemed lower. I needed to turn up the amp louder than usual to reach my normal listening level. Or did I? The sound is very smooth and relaxed, but not at the expense of detail, and as I listen longer I find myself lowering the volume yet the level of detail remains the same. I've now got the volume just about where I normally would on the amp, at 9:00, and although it might be a touch lower in volume, I have all of the detail I could need, yet the music is warm and mellow.

I like the 627BP very much in the XP-7, especially with the DT 931, probably better than the 797. They have very good synergy together. Although I don't particularly like the HD25 with the 627. The lows seem a bit muddied, which makes sense since I would say that the DT 931 are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of sound quality, with the DT 931 emphasizing the highs and the HD25 emphasizing the lows. Now if I could only afford a decent source.

On to the next opamp!

Update: The HD25 are sounding better now. Do opamps need time to warm up or break in, especially after sitting idle for awhile?

Oct 7, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #45 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Update: The HD25 are sounding better now. Do opamps need time to warm up or break in, especially after sitting idle for awhile?

All of the op amps are burned in. I did that before they were shipped. They also have been to a number of users so I doubt that they are changing. I have found that it takes your ears and mind a bit of time to adjust to the changes. Take your time and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back