HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
Apr 4, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #1,006 of 1,291
BTW... one of my top new reference albums... i know it now a few months but i just thought i throw it in, its awesome upsampled :)

one of few albums i actually listen completely...

Mountain Goats - Jenny from Thebes

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #1,007 of 1,291
2. i really have to consider HqPLayer embedded now... whats the latency with this setup? are movies possible with lighter filter settings?

There's now a "low delay mode". And if you use a short filter, it will have less delay (minimum phase has the least). You can also set Buffer Time to something like 10 ms or less.

Convolution has high delay though, because the filters especially in low frequency area tend to get long. So for video use cases, you could set up another matrix profile that uses purely IIRs which have the lowest delay.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #1,008 of 1,291
There's now a "low delay mode". And if you use a short filter, it will have less delay (minimum phase has the least). You can also set Buffer Time to something like 10 ms or less.

Convolution has high delay though, because the filters especially in low frequency area tend to get long. So for video use cases, you could set up another matrix profile that uses purely IIRs which have the lowest delay.

is the (round trip) delay with IIR Eq and low latency mode below 100-200ms? ... im not a lipsync "junkie" but it should still look somewhat coherent

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #1,009 of 1,291
I installed HQP last week, and stumbled into poly-sinc-gauss-xla through my Gustard R26 and tubes on the horns, holy moses what a deep soundstage, absolutely stunning with small jazz ensembles/ECM type stuff!
But I have a question - I have a convolution filter plugged in (.wav file my buddy Cam made me in Impala for room correction), and it’s eaten quite a bit of power/volume. Is there any way to compensate this loss without sacrificing SQ?

Apr 5, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #1,010 of 1,291
But I have a question - I have a convolution filter plugged in (.wav file my buddy Cam made me in Impala for room correction), and it’s eaten quite a bit of power/volume. Is there any way to compensate this loss without sacrificing SQ?
not sure if there are ways to set gain on FIR files, but if this is a correctly made room correction file i guess the correction itself just takes out more energy and makes it audible quieter... in that case if your digital volume is maxxed out (minus the few dbs of safety pregain) then the only way to compensate for the perceived volume loss is your amplification after your dac

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #1,011 of 1,291
not sure if there are ways to set gain on FIR files, but if this is a correctly made room correction file i guess the correction itself just takes out more energy and makes it audible quieter... in that case if your digital volume is maxxed out (minus the few dbs of safety pregain) then the only way to compensate for the perceived volume loss is your amplification after your dac
That’s what I figured, thanks Ghoostknight. Can’t blame a guy for wondering if there was a magic trick embedded somewhere after seeing/hearing what these filters can do!

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #1,012 of 1,291
I have a convolution filter plugged in (.wav file my buddy Cam made me in Impala for room correction), and it’s eaten quite a bit of power/volume. Is there any way to compensate this loss without sacrificing SQ?
Look into PDF manual which is installed together with HQPlayer Desktop for gain setting. If you are using Convolution dialog, use Gain comp. at top right side. If you are using Matrix Pipeline dialog, you can set individual gain to each channel.

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #1,013 of 1,291
Look into PDF manual which is installed together with HQPlayer Desktop for gain setting. If you are using Convolution dialog, use Gain comp. at top right side. If you are using Matrix Pipeline dialog, you can set individual gain to each channel.
I tried gain comp but it made no difference. Is that because my volume levels are set at 0/0?

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #1,015 of 1,291
That’s what I figured, thanks Ghoostknight. Can’t blame a guy for wondering if there was a magic trick embedded somewhere after seeing/hearing what these filters can do!

yea i agree, i just hunted the last noticable room mode 2 or 3 weeks ago after.... it was around 530hz, made a huge difference to lower the peak even if guides out there just to optimize till 200 hz or whatever... imo depending on the room (and specially your desk/wall behind speakers) you can correct up to 1k or so everything after is probably more of a taste thing..

I tried gain comp but it made no difference. Is that because my volume levels are set at 0/0?
im not sure if there is such a limitation

if your correction file still has parts that could potentialy go to 0db then just the pregain to -3db and do the rest after the dac, this gives you the best dynamic range without any clipping or intersample clipping

it really depends on the eq you used in the correction file... if things are boosted above 0db than you need to set the pregain accoudingly to not go above 0db, you cant digitally go beyond 0db, it just gives you crappy sound

the only thing where you can go in "theory" above 0db (and actually use a pregain of +20 or whatever) is when the source material you play maxes out at -20db ... else it will clipp again because you hit the digital roof of 0db

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #1,016 of 1,291

I recommend to use matrix processor for convolution instead. Then you can use the Plot function to adjust the pipeline gain such that it doesn't exceed 0 dB level. This is as loud as you can go. It depends how much peak boost you have at some frequency.

Let's say you have +6 dB peak boost at 100 Hz. This will make the overall loudness 6 dB quieter, because you need to have headroom for that peak boost. Signal cannot exceed 0 dBFS without clipping...

Best way to make up for the overall loudness loss is to just turn up you amp volume... Then you have less attenuation there.

I would recommend to not ever turn HQPlayer volume higher than -3 dB. This makes enough headroom for the inter-sample overs (optimal mathematical case). However, some content may need turning down the volume further due to especially bad mastering.

In any case, keep eye on the "Limited" counter in HQPlayer. It should never increment from 0 during a listening session. If it does, turn down the volume in 1 dB steps until it doesn't happen anymore. Also the HQPlayer Desktop application's volume knob turns red when this happens. You may not notice it in the sound, because HQPlayer has a soft-knee limiter so that it would be inaudible as possible. But you still don't want to have any limiting...

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #1,018 of 1,291
2018 i5 32gb Mac mini
Running Roon core/Qobuz
Convolution fir filters @356khz made in Focus Fidelity
poly-sinc-gauss-xla x1
poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp Nx
ASDM7ECv2
44.1khz-DSD256
Gustard A26
Zero drops
🥵🔥🔥

Attachments

• IMG_9139.jpeg
    IMG_9139.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 10, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #1,019 of 1,291
I'm using HQPlayer with Mac M1, 16GB memory > Roon > Holo Audio May L2 > Feliks Envy

Playback is great until I try a sample rate of anything north of 768k. Then I get unlistenable static. A sample rate of 768k sounds fine and clear. Anything above that spells trouble.

Here are the four tabs on my settings...
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11.28.09.png
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11.28.14.png
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11.28.21.png
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11.28.28.png

Interestingly, when I select a sample rate of 1.024m, the May only displays a rate of 705.6k.
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11.30.39.png

But if I select a sample rate of 1.411m, that's exactly what the May displays – it's also when I start to get unlistenable static. I don't know if that's connected.
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11.32.08.png

I'm new to Roon, and I'm sure it's connected to that, but I'm open to any suggestions. Thank you!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #1,020 of 1,291
I'm using HQPlayer with Mac M1, 16GB memory > Roon > Holo Audio May L2 > Feliks Envy

Playback is great until I try a sample rate of anything north of 768k. Then I get unlistenable static. A sample rate of 768k sounds fine and clear. Anything above that spells trouble.

Here are the four tabs on my settings...
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11.28.09.pngScreenshot 2024-04-10 at 11.28.14.pngScreenshot 2024-04-10 at 11.28.21.pngScreenshot 2024-04-10 at 11.28.28.png

Interestingly, when I select a sample rate of 1.024m, the May only displays a rate of 705.6k.
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11.30.39.png

But if I select a sample rate of 1.411m, that's exactly what the May displays – it's also when I start to get unlistenable static. I don't know if that's connected.
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 11.32.08.png

I'm new to Roon, and I'm sure it's connected to that, but I'm open to any suggestions. Thank you!
I don’t think you’ve set your bits to 20 on the pcm tab. I think the HQplayer guide mentions optimal bit depth (and maybe other settings) for specific DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back