HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
Feb 16, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #646 of 1,524
Depends on your DAC, but in my case that fixed it completely, there where entire records and songs that I couldn't play until I checked mark those boxes, I never made the connection that it was because this where native 48khz files until a few weeks ago lol!!!! and also people here where a huge help in this forum.
So you always keep both boxes checked, and never uncheck them?

Feb 16, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #647 of 1,524
Feb 16, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #648 of 1,524
Hillou.

For dacs capable of 48k, you can set it both auto and 48 checked and leave it. The issue of not playing was setting a limit in DSD tab max of 44.1 so it was probably too heavy to process downsampling a 48 file to 44.1.

If you leave Adaptive with 48 both checked as Holo are 48 capable, it will automatically stay within each rate family. You may deselect Adaptive and force sampling at either rate (unchecked) as you originally had it if that is what you choose in DSD tab. Same if you choose the specific rate in Client instead of leaving Auto if Adaptive is selected in Output settings tab.

This is so if one chooses to upsample 44.1 to 48 family or desample 48 family to 44.1 when you leave Adaptive unchecked and it follows what you select in DSD tab limit.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #649 of 1,524
Hillou.

For dacs capable of 48k, you can set it both auto and 48 checked and leave it. The issue of not playing was setting a limit in DSD tab max of 44.1 so it was probably too heavy to process downsampling a 48 file to 44.1.

If you leave it auto with 48 both checked as Holo are 48 capable, it will automatically stay within each rate family. You may deselect auto and force sampling at either rate as you originally had it if that is what you choose in DSD tab. Same if you choose the specific rate in Client instead of leaving auto if auto is selected in Output settings tab.

This is so if one chooses to upsample 44.1 to 48 family or desample 48 family to 44.1 when you leave it unchecked and it follows what you select in DSD tab limit.
If the 48k DSD box is checked, will that have any effect on a 44.1k song? Or will it have no impact at all? I feel like it sounds slightly different, but I'm not sure if that is a placebo effect.

Also, the "adaptive rate" box has the option for check, uncheck, and gray. What does it do if you set it at gray?

Feb 17, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #650 of 1,524
If the 48k DSD box is checked, will that have any effect on a 44.1k song? Or will it have no impact at all? I feel like it sounds slightly different, but I'm not sure if that is a placebo effect.

Also, the "adaptive rate" box has the option for check, uncheck, and gray. What does it do if you set it at gray?

1708147120514.png

Feb 17, 2024 at 12:44 AM Post #652 of 1,524
Thank you. When I check 48k on a 44.1k source, it seems to make the sound very slightly harsher than if 48k is not checked. Maybe if I play around a bit more with the adaptive rate box I can fix the issue.

I recommend to leave 48 checked along with Adaptive, utilize HQP Client for on the fly changes with filter and modulators. Set limit in settings of DSD tab as highest your pc can handle x 48. So you are not limited to just 44.1 files when playing 48k one. You can choose the rate selection in Client too and set to auto so it stays in same rate family or choose a fixed rate if you want to hear what that setting sounds like.

I do this each time I test to revisit lower rates.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #653 of 1,524
1708149241606.png

Example, in Client you can choose to force upsample 44.1 file to 48k in Rate field and you may click Roon clipping indicator to see the resulting output of your selection as indicated by the x48.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 2:21 AM Post #654 of 1,524
That makes it seem like there is no benefit to DSD over PCM in HQPlayer, because of all that potential error.

That's your simplified interpretation I don't agree with. My interpretation is is rather that the quality of delta sigma modulator is important in delta sigma design.

With HQPlayer filters and modulators and high quality discrete DSD DACs like those from Holo or for example T+A DAC 200 you get technically superior solution over any known R2R implemengation. Do you mean R2R DACs are technically better than that? If yes, what is such standing based on?

R2R DACs leave images of audio band in ultrasonic area which may become source of intermodulation distortion. With HQPlayer DSD setup you don't get those images. R2R DACs are not able to get dynamic range and SNR values of best delta sigma designs. Only Holo reached exceptional results in this area with its best models like May.

Don't stick on one source of information and don't make simplified standings on incomplete information. The topic is not so easy and you will notice different users with different opinions also in future. What I can recommend, use your ears to decide. I will never oppose that.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 3:39 AM Post #655 of 1,524
On my MacBook Pro M1 and May, DSD256 does sound softer, and a bit less dynamic compared to upsampled PCM but it seems to have a little better timbre.
However, my MBP is not powerful enough to do DSD512 (is it because of the OS? DSD512 files generally won't play because of MacOS limitations but HQPlayer does something different) but it does play with skipping. At that bitrate, it feels like I'm inside the music and I can see the instruments around me and it all sounds real.

Once I heard DSD512 with the proper modulator/noiseshaper, I begin to understand why people like Paul at PS Audio is a DSD fan because it's almost like real life.
I aspire to one day build a machine that can do DSD1024 with my May and see how that sounds. Upsampled PCM can sound fine, you can get weightier notes or more space, or whatever but it doesn't sound like DSD. PGGB files do sound awesome though, which tells me that by throwing a boat load of audio data to your player can you approach real life sound.

Feb 17, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #656 of 1,524
1708149241606.png

Example, in Client you can choose to force upsample 44.1 file to 48k in Rate field and you may click Roon clipping indicator to see the resulting output of your selection as indicated by the x48.

If you are using Roon, does changing the settings on HQPlayer Client do anything? I thought if you were using Roon, HQPlayer Client wasn't involved in the process at all.

Feb 17, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #657 of 1,524
If you are using Roon, does changing the settings on HQPlayer Client do anything? I thought if you were using Roon, HQPlayer Client wasn't involved in the process at all.
Client controls HQP, so yes if you use the client. The client affords the ability to make changes on the fly

Feb 17, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #658 of 1,524
Does it matter what you set the "DSD" sources settings to on the right side of the PCM tab and SDM tab?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 9.36.53 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 9.36.53 AM.png
    125.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 9.37.01 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 9.37.01 AM.png
    125.1 KB · Views: 0
Feb 17, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #659 of 1,524
Does it matter what you set the "DSD" sources settings to on the right side of the PCM tab and SDM tab?
only if you're playing back DSD files

Users who are viewing this thread

Back