HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
Oct 31, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #196 of 1,431
regarding localhost vs typng IP, agree it's a good suggestion, but Im mainly tryng to use my streamers as I dont have an audio server, just a regular PC, so it's the streamer's (reserved) IP that I type (copy, paste) each time at the "add HQPlayer" button at Roon.
Just in case I’ve misread you. Are you saying that you add your steamer’s IP address in when you add HQPlayer to Roon and not your device running HQPlaye (the PC)?

Does your streamer have the HQPlayer software build in?

Normally you go Roon > Roon End point
With HQPlayer you go Roon > HQPlayer Desktop > HQPlayer End point

I think you are missing a step or maybe I haven’t followed the thread close enough.

You normally configure Roon to point to the device running HQPlayer and then configure HQPlayer to point to the Stream if it is an HQPlayer end point.

Oct 31, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #197 of 1,431
I would rather search for which one sounds best for you. Listening experience is subjective thing. I remember Miska mentioned few times that technically most accurate could be poly-sinc-xtr-short or maybe poly-sinc-xtr. I didn't like their transients without galvanic isolator, then I started to use them, but not for every ocassion. One has to try different filters on his own rig ...
Per Miska - "I'd say poly-sinc-ext2, poly-sinc-xtr, sinc-S, sinc-M... Apodizing generally more accurate since they also fix some accuracy errors in the source content.

There's just no single filter that would be "most accurate"."

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...utube-channel/?do=findComment&comment=1118506

Nov 1, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #198 of 1,431
HQPlayer Embedded only (not HQPlayer Desktop). Only on Linux: Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS Jammy Jellyfish, Debian 11 Bullseye or Fedora 37 Server/Minimal 64-bit OS installed

Embedded is also part of Signalyst Linux distro called HQPlayer OS, which can be easily installed by burning ready made image to flash disk (or SD card).

HQPlayer OS does not support nVidia GPU CUDA offload. Embedded installed on Linux provides support for CUDA offload.

Yes, in HQPlayer Client, which can be used with both Desktop and Embedded.

I would rather search for which one sounds best for you. Listening experience is subjective thing. I remember Miska mentioned few times that technically most accurate could be poly-sinc-xtr-short or maybe poly-sinc-xtr. I didn't like their transients without galvanic isolator, then I started to use them, but not for every ocassion. One has to try different filters on his own rig ...
actually i could clearly listen sinc short, medium variety has the best depth and layering and even musicality too, than others. however these are the heaviest filter imo. i could not use sinc long due to stuttering. does that mean these are the most accurate ones ?

Nov 1, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #199 of 1,431
actually i could clearly listen sinc short, medium variety has the best depth and layering and even musicality too, than others. however these are the heaviest filter imo. i could not use sinc long due to stuttering. does that mean these are the most accurate ones ?
Not necessarily.
Technically more accurate, for pop/rock containing faster transients and decays, are short to middle length filters, like poly-sinc-xtr(-short)-mp, poly-sinc-gauss(-short).
Middle to long filters are more suitable for slower genres like jazz, classical.
On the end, what you like is more important than any theoretical conclusions. Your rig and level of noise rejection may also influence which filter/modulator sounds best for you. So it is very individual.

Nov 1, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #200 of 1,431
Not necessarily.
Technically more accurate, for pop/rock containing faster transients and decays, are short to middle length filters, like poly-sinc-xtr(-short)-mp, poly-sinc-gauss(-short).
Middle to long filters are more suitable for slower genres like jazz, classical.
On the end, what you like is more important than any theoretical conclusions. Your rig and level of noise rejection may also influence which filter/modulator sounds best for you. So it is very individual.
May be but imo music is music and it should reproduced with least distortion irrespective of genre that's why we use upsampling algorithms like hqplayer. I can't say if others but sinc medium to ne sounded best, sinc long I couldn't use.

Nov 1, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #201 of 1,431
@babarrun

firtst open HQPlayer and check the liitle networkball :
Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-31 um 14.53.19.png

then open ROON, settings -> setup -> Add HQPlayer:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-31 um 14.46.08.png

in my case, "localhost" don't work, so i use the ip from my mac mini, you should do the same, because Roon and HQPlayer do not run on the same device:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-31 um 14.46.41.png

Then connect mackboo to your KTE, open HQPlayer, settings, output, backend, and choose CoreAudio, your KTE should then appear, with me it looks like this with my Topping DX5 on my desktop system:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-31 um 15.13.53.png

Device is my Topping DX 5.

Choose "PCM" on default mode, and for first steps choose some "lightweight" filters:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-31 um 14.48.21.png

After that, go to ROON again, settings -> audio, and enable your HQPlayer:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-31 um 14.49.18.png

Thats it!
Now chosse HQPlayer in Roon Zones, and play any album :)
Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-31 um 14.50.05.png

So the only thing what will change if you decide to buy an endpoint, like Raspberry Pi4, you have to select Networkaudioadapter IPv6 in HQPlayer output, instead of CoreAudio.
Here how it looks:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-31 um 14.47.38.png

The Rpi4 is more a "budget solution", in your case, wirh KTE, i would recommend the Holo Audio Red :)
thanks so very much.

I am on the evaluation version of HQ so it's a bit tricky and requires I try it all within 30 min.

I finally got it working though. You're instructions were spot on and very very valuable. I think without them I would have thrown in the towel.

Does HQ Client have any value for me?

the Spring is showing the file as having the file at say 96kHz and the file is the same. I have attached the Roon sound path picture. shouldn't it upscale?

what shall I do with the settings for MQA? and is it ok to run MQA files?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 3.46.33 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 3.46.33 PM.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 3.46.40 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 3.46.40 PM.png
    120.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 3.49.59 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 3.49.59 PM.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 0
Nov 1, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #202 of 1,431
thanks so very much.

I am on the evaluation version of HQ so it's a bit tricky and requires I try it all within 30 min.

I finally got it working though. You're instructions were spot on and very very valuable. I think without them I would have thrown in the towel.

Does HQ Client have any value for me?

the Spring is showing the file as having the file at say 96kHz and the file is the same. I have attached the Roon sound path picture. shouldn't it upscale?

what shall I do with the settings for MQA? and is it ok to run MQA files?
You should select HQPlayer as the Roon endpoint, not your dac.
HQClient is useful for switching filters but otherwise Roon is what you want to use.
Jussi developed special MQA filters that are optimized to work well with it, but I believe he said he prefers normal files with normal filters.
You have bits set to default but you should set them to 16 I think, not sure what the linear range is of the Holo Spring 2.
For IIR it is known to perform best at 2-3x rates, so I would suggest to set the sample rate limit to 96khz and put Nx to 'none'
If you want to upsample to 384khz you should just leave the filter on Poly-sinc-gauss-long/poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp, and I would recommend NS9 as a shaper but you can also let your ears guide you.

Roon works very well with the evaluation version, every 30 minutes HQPlayer closes, just restart it, press the "ok" button that says it is a trial mode and press play on Roon, the song will continue right where you left off.

edit: Found linearity measurement of the Spring 2, 16 bits is what you should send it:
1698836412829.png

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #203 of 1,431
You should select HQPlayer as the Roon endpoint, not your dac.
HQClient is useful for switching filters but otherwise Roon is what you want to use.
Jussi developed special MQA filters that are optimized to work well with it, but I believe he said he prefers normal files with normal filters.
You have bits set to default but you should set them to 16 I think, not sure what the linear range is of the Holo Spring 2.
For IIR it is known to perform best at 2-3x rates, so I would suggest to set the sample rate limit to 96khz and put Nx to 'none'
If you want to upsample to 384khz you should just leave the filter on Poly-sinc-gauss-long/poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp, and I would recommend NS9 as a shaper but you can also let your ears guide you.

Roon works very well with the evaluation version, every 30 minutes HQPlayer closes, just restart it, press the "ok" button that says it is a trial mode and press play on Roon, the song will continue right where you left off.

edit: Found linearity measurement of the Spring 2, 16 bits is what you should send it:
1698836412829.png
thanks. when I try to use HQ player I get the error in the attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 4.28.16 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 4.28.16 PM.png
    299.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 4.29.42 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 4.29.42 PM.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 4.29.59 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 4.29.59 PM.png
    153.5 KB · Views: 0
Nov 1, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #204 of 1,431
thanks. when I try to use HQ player I get the error in the attached.
Is HQPlayer running on the same machine as your roon core? if not, do you have "allow control from network" ticked?
1698838526236.png

I also suggest installing the Holo Audio ASIO driver and select it in HQPlayer

Nov 1, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #205 of 1,431
Not necessarily.
Helo.

Agree. One should not let accurate or better measuring graphs dictate enjoyment. Even if it was the case, I would not be deterred into deviating from my preference.

Nov 1, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #206 of 1,431
Is HQPlayer running on the same machine as your roon core? if not, do you have "allow control from network" ticked? 1698838526236.png
I also suggest installing the Holo Audio ASIO driver and select it in HQPlayer
thanks. I have attached a picture of the HQ Player app. I am using a Mac and earlier Lousiana suggested I click the globe which I presume is network access (?)

My Macmini running RoonCore is on a fixed IP in the basement and I have used that IP when adding HQ player thru the Roon app I am using on my desktop macbook pro.

Basement:
RoonCore on a Macmini

Mezzanine:
RoonApp on MacbookPro -> USB ---> HoloAudio Sping KTE --> Bliss KTE

I looked at the ASIO driver but not sure if that would apply to Mac?

Nov 1, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #207 of 1,431
thanks. I have attached a picture of the HQ Player app. I am using a Mac and earlier Lousiana suggested I click the globe which I presume is network access (?)

My Macmini running RoonCore is on a fixed IP in the basement and I have used that IP when adding HQ player thru the Roon app I am using on my desktop macbook pro.

Basement:
RoonCore on a Macmini

Mezzanine:
RoonApp on MacbookPro -> USB ---> HoloAudio Sping KTE --> Bliss KTE

I looked at the ASIO driver but not sure if that would apply to Mac?
I have no experience on mac but I guess if coreaudio works then leave it.
If you added the correct IP (don't use the IP of your roon core, use the IP of the Macbook Pro that runs HQPlayer), opened network access and both devices are on the same network and discoverable it should just work.

Nov 1, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #208 of 1,431
May be but imo music is music and it should reproduced with least distortion irrespective of genre that's why we use upsampling algorithms like hqplayer. I can't say if others but sinc medium to ne sounded best, sinc long I couldn't use.

That's not so easy. Long filters are accurate in frequency domain but have poorer performance in time domain. And short filters the opposite.
Long filter response is affected by transients which occurred longer time before and after an event and thus introduce a transient smear.

These posts explain difference between long and short filters and also disadvantage of very long filters - at least theoretically:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/19715-hq-player/page/1082/
"When the filter gets longer (more taps) in time domain, it gets steeper in frequency domain and vice versa. This is because frequency and time have 1/x relationship. Longer the filter, longer it "rings" or "smears" in time domain. While if it gets too short, it begins to roll-off early which in turn means it reduces the high frequency components needed to make quick time domain details, so it "slows down" the transients. Too short filter can also begin to "leak" that means the reconstruction accuracy is lost as result, and as result produces imaging distortion.

Making a filter that is perfect in both domains simultaneously is mathematical impossibility. Only unlimited bandwidth, like you practically get with high rate DSD recording (minimum DSD128, but optimally DSD256+), can give you both at the same time. Band limited PCM has the problem though."

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...rdinary-person/?do=findComment&comment=175928
"Longer/steeper filters change faster from passing frequencies to not passing frequencies as function of frequency. Shorter/gentler filters transition more slowly or "gently" from pass to stop as function of frequency. More accurately the filter wants to detect frequencies and transition pass/stop faster, longer time the filter has to "look" at the signal. This has side effect called "ringing" or rather "time blur". On the other hand, extremely short filter like a one that looks only at single moment cannot filter anything at all, because it sees only single point of time at once without any history or future (so it cannot detect any frequencies as those are a change over time)."

About "irrespective on genre" - that's also not so easy,
"Thus the rough starting point recommendations go along the lines of:
- Long linear phase filters for classical in acoustic spaces
- Short minimum phase filters for multitracked studio rock
- Relatively short linear phase filters for jazz clubs"
read the whole post about it: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/19715-hq-player/page/1086/

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #209 of 1,431
I have no experience on mac but I guess if coreaudio works then leave it.
If you added the correct IP (don't use the IP of your roon core, use the IP of the Macbook Pro that runs HQPlayer), opened network access and both devices are on the same network and discoverable it should just work.
Wow. thanks. I was not quite giving but losing hope. I just changed to the local IP and everything seems to work.
I have attached a screenshot.

the throughput of the SpringKTE is: PCM 44.1K-1.536M (32bit) ;; would love some suggestions on how to be able to push it above as I was getting 384K before thru Roon with my bottleneck being the output from the DMP A6 as a roon endpoint capped at that.

(my macbook pro has a M1 Max with 64gb)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 7.12.54 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 7.12.54 PM.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 7.23.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 7.23.32 PM.png
    142.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 7.23.23 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 7.23.23 PM.png
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #210 of 1,431
Wow. thanks. I was not quite giving but losing hope. I just changed to the local IP and everything seems to work.
I have attached a screenshot.

the throughput of the SpringKTE is: PCM 44.1K-1.536M (32bit) ;; would love some suggestions on how to be able to push it above as I was getting 384K before thru Roon with my bottleneck being the output from the DMP A6 as a roon endpoint capped at that.

(my macbook pro has a M1 Max with 64gb)
Glad to hear it works!

Just for clarification, your Roon screenshot said Spring 2 so I assumed you have a Spring 2 not a Spring 3, is that correct?
Spring 3 is accurate up to 20 bits (instead of 16) and can take 1.536 Mhz instead of 384 Khz.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back