HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
Mar 27, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #901 of 1,224
I’m not really sure what’s going on behind the scenes with Core Decoder on vs off in Roon, but I think you are on to something

This is likely similar to what is going on with some DACs featuring MQA decoding. I have not done extensive testing, but I suspect there are cases where it could be messing with the data when it shouldn't.

On a whim I turned it off today, playing Hires via Qobuz sounds better to my ears when core decoder is off rather than on. Better dynamics, perceived loudness, bass impact. Could be placebo, but it’s almost like there is some additional processing happening in Roon (even on non MQA content) when Core decoder is toggled on causing compression / loss of fidelity.

You could try playing Qobuz with just HQPlayer Client for comparison. In that case you know there's no MQA or similar sitting on the path.

From mathematical perspective, both Roon (with all DSP disabled), and HQPlayer playing the same content from Qobuz should have same result.

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #902 of 1,224
No, the poly-sinc ones are technically (mathematically) the best ones.

Of course, if one is used to sound of the simplest traditional approaches, you may notice certain lack of certain glare and harshness.
Hmm maybe there is something else to sincMGa then why i prefer it, before hqplayer i was using FIR EQ too, the SQ is quiet comparable to FIR inside HQPlayer
i definitely hear things that are common to all poly filters more or less

--

i said sincMx is my new favourite, not true anymore, i switched back to sincMGa after hearing the difference between sincMx and poly-xla

poly-xla definitely wasnt bad, (i still had it set because i tested processing usage and forgot about it) on the first song it quiet suprised me, tho in comparison poly-xla sounds less real than sincMGa, still good but also a little more boring, not per se "grainy" but sincMGa just seem to sound smoother and more lifelike in comparison

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #903 of 1,224
Hmm maybe there is something else to sincMGa then why i prefer it, before hqplayer i was using FIR EQ too, the SQ is quiet comparable to FIR inside HQPlayer
i definitely hear things that are common to all poly filters more or less

--

i said sincMx is my new favourite, not true anymore, i switched back to sincMGa after hearing the difference between sincMx and poly-xla

poly-xla definitely wasnt bad, (i still had it set because i tested processing usage and forgot about it) on the first song it quiet suprised me, tho in comparison poly-xla sounds less real than sincMGa, still good but also a little more boring, not per se "grainy" but sincMGa just seem to sound smoother and more lifelike in comparison
The more recent versions of the manual indicates sinc-MGa is a variant of poly-sinc-gaus-xla...

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #904 of 1,224
The more recent versions of the manual indicates sinc-MGa is a variant of poly-sinc-gaus-xla...
there are definitely some similarities, sincMGa just sounds more refined imo

sincMx sounded kinda edgy compared to poly-xla and sincMGa

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #905 of 1,224
there are definitely some similarities, sincMGa just sounds more refined imo

sincMx sounded kinda edgy compared to poly-xla and sincMGa
Currently listening to Sinc-mGa and it sounds excellent, still not sure if it sounds better for me ears compare to sync-Ll

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #906 of 1,224
I actually have a Raspberry Pi that I use with RoPieeeXL with a PiJuice battery, so I used Etcher to put the HQPlayer embedded image on it, and I am using the web interface via an Ethernet connection to configure. I connected a DAC to the USB 2 port and could see that on the configuration screen. I also connected my iPhone with a working OTG cable to the USB-C (also later tried with C->A cable into USB 2 port) but I am not able to output to the device from the iPad. On the input screen it is not allowing me to select Raspberry Pi USB or anything other than “playlist”.

I am wondering if the juice is going to be worth the squeeze on this project because I’m trying to Google some information about this, but I am not finding anything particularly useful, and I don’t want to flood the forums with questions to try to get this running. I just wonder if there is some basic setup guide I’m missing or if I am just totally out of my depth on this. I am reasonably computer savvy as a gaming PC enthusiast, but I have no programming experience or real experience with Linux. Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated!

Other thought - this could be a cottage industry for audiophiles with appropriate tech experience. If this is truly anything close to an M Scaler and HQPlayer licenses and Raspberry Pi’s can be purchased and set up fairly easily, I wonder if there is a market for people to assemble, configure, and sell something like this for people who would like something along the lines of an M Scaler for around for a little under $1k?

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #907 of 1,224
I also connected my iPhone with a working OTG cable to the USB-C (also later tried with C->A cable into USB 2 port) but I am not able to output to the device from the iPad.

After connecting the devices by USB cable you need to paste "audio:default/0/2" to input URI line and start playback (that '0' means that HQPlayer adapts its input to input content sample rate and '2' means two channels).
Then HQPlayer should be recognized as audio device on your iPad.
I agree that a basic description how to use this scenario is missing in the manual. @jlaako
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/us...utube-music-deezer-soundcloud-2023/244358/391
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/19715-hq-player/?do=findComment&comment=1264581

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #909 of 1,224
What do you think are the best filters for the Spring 3?
short answer - poly-sinc-gauss-long

longer answer - what are you looking to achieve? realism? pleasant sounding? PCM or SDM? What output rate(s)? How much compute do you have or are willing to buy?

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #910 of 1,224
longer answer - what are you looking to achieve? realism? pleasant sounding? PCM or SDM? What output rate(s)? How much compute do you have or are willing to buy?

Sorry, I probably should have been a bit more detailed.

I've been using HQPlayer for years, and I'm familiar with the filters - but now I've noticed that I don't like my favorite filters with Spring 3.
I have enough horsepower for the more demanding filters, thanks to the RTX4090.
With the Cyan2, for example, I liked sinc-medium and sinc-mx, which now somehow doesn't appeal to me at all - strange, isn't it?

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #911 of 1,224
Sorry, I probably should have been a bit more detailed.

I've been using HQPlayer for years, and I'm familiar with the filters - but now I've noticed that I don't like my favorite filters with Spring 3.
I have enough horsepower for the more demanding filters, thanks to the RTX4090.
With the Cyan2, for example, I liked sinc-medium and sinc-mx, which now somehow doesn't appeal to me at all - strange, isn't it?
not sure if it's strange, as much as simply a reflection of how we get used to a sound and it becomes boring. Try some short filters and listen to them for a period of time. Could simply shift to sinc-S or poly-sinc-ext3 to mix it up. Maybe you swapped something else around and it changed the character too much for your current filter preferences.

Mar 28, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #912 of 1,224
After connecting the devices by USB cable you need to paste "audio:default/0/2" to input URI line and start playback (that '0' means that HQPlayer adapts its input to input content sample rate and '2' means two channels).
Then HQPlayer should be recognized as audio device on your iPad.
I agree that a basic description how to use this scenario is missing in the manual. @jlaako
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/us...utube-music-deezer-soundcloud-2023/244358/391
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/19715-hq-player/?do=findComment&comment=1264581
Thank you very much!!

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #913 of 1,224
Don't know if this is the right thread but here goes. I recently replaced an office dac with a Gustard A18, running IIS through an Amanero USB bridge, and now upsampling to SDM would not work(no sound) and PCM would only do 384k max, there is also 1 -2 second static/popping noise before the music starts playing. Never had this issue with my previous dac, which was a topping dx7 pro. Here is my settings in HQplayer, I'm beginning to think it might be an issue with the IIS connection.
QQ截图20240329090203.png
QQ截图20240329090215.png

QQ截图20240329090221.png
QQ截图20240329090235.png

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #914 of 1,224
Don't know if this is the right thread but here goes. I recently replaced an office dac with a Gustard A18, running IIS through an Amanero USB bridge, and now upsampling to SDM would not work(no sound) and PCM would only do 384k max, there is also 1 -2 second static/popping noise before the music starts playing. Never had this issue with my previous dac, which was a topping dx7 pro. Here is my settings in HQplayer, I'm beginning to think it might be an issue with the IIS connection.
QQ截图20240329090203.pngQQ截图20240329090215.png
QQ截图20240329090221.pngQQ截图20240329090235.png
What happens if you move the bit rate limit to 512 x 48 (right now you have it at 44.1)

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #915 of 1,224
What happens if you move the bit rate limit to 512 x 48 (right now you have it at 44.1)
Hey thanks for the quick reply, I tried every option from 512 all the way down to 64 with the same result (no sound comes through). I'm beginning to think maybe my DDC IIS isn't fully compatible with the IIS on the Gustard, but PCM works up to 384, weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back