h'phone to end all phones
Sep 12, 2002 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

taoster

Headphoneus Supremus
My headphone shopping spree is coming to an end but not before one final headphone to shut me up for good. The only item left on the shopping list is the HD600, so I think. Is this really the reference can of all cans, the phone no true enthuisast should do without? The phone I should purchase for my last and final ugrade?

Currently, I am using the HD580 and the Grado SR325. Initially I found the HD580 lacking bass+treble, soundstage and even veiled! but after removing the foam, upgrading with cardas, earmax pro, full TLFKN tubes I found the HD580 significantly better sounding than the SR325 now.

Naturally, the HD600 seems like the obvious next upgrade. Do you agree the HD600 upgrade over the AKG, Beyer, Etymotics for my setup.. offer me your thought for my last and final phone purchase.
wink.gif
sniff sniff sob sob

Sep 12, 2002 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
For flexibility's sake, you might want to go with the Etys. Both of your other cans are large and open... so how about tiny, sealed, and portable?

Nick ive had considered the Ety but im not sure. are you vouching for the Etys! lol

ive got some ksc35, mx500 and dozen ol crapo sony earbuds to get through.. protable is taken care of and im quite happy with my portable setup.

need some serious headphones.
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2002 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
ive got some ksc35, mx500 and dozen ol crapo sony earbuds to get through.. protable is taken care of and im quite happy with my portable setup.

You haven't heard ETYs yet then
wink.gif
... thing is, they go beyond portable... they are killer headphones, even when matched up against the likes of the High End Sennheisers
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2002 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 40
Ety's do deserve IMHO to be on the short list of any highend headphone buyer. Maybe they should be on the short list of any highend components whatsoever.

To argue for them a bit more, taoster, you've already got the Sennheiser experience with the 580's, and the 600's are said to be mostly a modest refinement of 580's. (Some say they are only more carefully matched drivers from the same production line.) How much benefit could there be compared to a whole new kind of sound of equivalently high quality? (Rememer, however, that I've never heard upper-level Senns.)

To argue against them a bit, there is the Ety risk: namely, that you won't find them sufficiently comfortable or easy to seal. However, you can probably lay off most of that risk by selling them if they don't pan out.

I would conclude that they are quite worth trying. And I think that other suggestions will come in as this thread unravels.

Sep 12, 2002 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 40
the thing is, i am only prepared to make one more headphone purchase before the sabbatical.

I can go with the HD600 and feel save in knowing that ill be happy, even if only slightly or I can take the big risk and purchase the er-4p, much loved by some BUT not usable by others. I'd hate fall in the latter category.

Sep 12, 2002 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 40
taoster...

...HD 580, Earmax Pro, tube collection (Telefunken etc.)... reminds me of my own setup (except for the HD 580 which in my case is a 600). And with them I seriously believe to have my final headphone setup (with a [portable] alternative in the form of the Etymotic ER-4S) – although I coudn't put my shirt on me for this... Don't trust yourself too much in terms of the very last purchase! The fact that you cultivate a «shopping list» says a lot of how dreams and wishes are an important part of your hobby (as it's the case with me, too, unfortunately...).
wink.gif

Even though I once owned the HD 580 and liked them, I never could compare them to the 600s. But from what I've read, the difference between the two may (not) be worth an upgrade – there's no other chance to know that than to test it yourself. Apart from that I second the idea with the Etymotics – they provide a really new hearing experience, other than the small change between the Senns, on a comparable level – since your HD 580 are freed from the foam pads, furnished with a good cable and benefit from the phantastic synergy of the EMP.

On the other hand, if you're really happy with the Sennheiser/EMP sound (like me!), why not just a little refinement on it without further adventures? The Etys are not everybody's thing – sonically and in terms of wearing comfort. So maybe the upgrade to the HD 600 makes sense for you. Btw: Be aware that they need some 100-500 hours of break-in time.

Good luck!

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Sep 12, 2002 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 40
Since you already have the 580s, the 600s might seem a bit of let down in that they won't sound all that different form the 580s. I have to second (or third, fourth?) the Etys. For me, they are the reference I compare everything else against.

Sep 12, 2002 at 2:10 PM Post #10 of 40
Why don't you get hd600's, rs-1's, ety's and some w100's so that you have covered all the basics. Then you can move onto hp1000's, w2002's and some stax's. After this, you might want to check out the orpheus and the only true end all phones, sony "the king" r-10's. I hope I just made your choice even harder.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Biggie.

Sep 12, 2002 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 40
Etys, definitely Etys. And get a 4P and 4P->4S conversion cable. Having heard both the 580 and Ety, it's worth the risk.

Sep 12, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 40
thanks everyone for replying. can't believe everyone recommended the Ety over the HD600! if i do get the Etys, there's no way in hell id not buy the HD600 eventually. I'd end up purchasing 2 phones instead of one.
rolleyes.gif

JaZZ, how does the Ety sound with the EMP? you obviously prefer the sound of the HD600 to the Ety for home use?

I listen to rock and vocal mostly. Is Ety suited for that? or is it a strict classical plugs?

Sep 12, 2002 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 40
Glyn, ive got the HD580 which is the plastic equivlant of the HD600 with the same driver and construction. I've no complaints with the comfort factor of the HD580 what so ever. the placement of the phone is a very important factor to this comfort and for me its slightly forward and lower center.

I'd like to try the AKG K1000 but unfortunately i doubt the EMP can cut it.

Sep 12, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
My headphone shopping spree is coming to an end but not before one final headphone to shut me up for good.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back