h'phone to end all phones
Sep 12, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #16 of 40
taoster

It may be the size of my head.
I once tried to purchase a motorcycle helmet and tried four manufacturers before a top of the range Shoei fitted.

The senn just seems to clamp to the sides of my head.
AKG's, Stax, Sony didn't.

I watch TV late night using headphones, all are well used.

The 580 are cheap over here, do you think it may be worth me trying a pair?

Sep 12, 2002 at 4:07 PM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
The only item left on the shopping list is the HD600, so I think. Is this really the reference can of all cans, the phone no true enthuisast should do without?

Definitely not.

Sep 12, 2002 at 4:12 PM Post #18 of 40
taoster,

I use nothing but AKG 501 on the Earmax Pro, everything else tried and discarded.

Latest Stax are back in the box, after years of forcing all my friends to listen to to them.

Am I over selling the 501's?
I wish I could bring round a pair for you to hear.

Like most headphone maniacs, I have boxes full of Hifi gear.

Earmax and 501 work together.

Sep 12, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #19 of 40
Wait for the HD-700, if that's what they call it. I'm willing to be it's not that far from release.

Sep 12, 2002 at 4:48 PM Post #20 of 40
glyn, I'm happy to find another K501 fan! I find the K501 to be a truly exceptional headphone for its meager price, with a midrange that's hard to match. I still haven't heard it with the Earmax pro, but it's good to know that you think they synergize.

Sep 12, 2002 at 4:55 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Glyn
I use nothing but AKG 501 on the Earmax Pro, everything else tried and discarded.

Latest Stax are back in the box, after years of forcing all my friends to listen to to them.

Am I over selling the 501's?
I wish I could bring round a pair for you to hear.

I fully agree. The 501 does balance, midrange, pace, natural dynamics, transparency and clarity like no other headphone I've heard.

Sep 12, 2002 at 5:26 PM Post #22 of 40
Neruda,

I was trying to find synergize in the dictionary, couldn't find it!

Honesty, try to find an Earmax Pro and have a listen.

Caution, you may dump all your other kit, I know I did.
Well, I put it back into the boxes.

Sep 12, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #24 of 40
i dono... it seems like if you already blew $150 on that cardas cable, it wouldnt be hard to sell the 580's and buy some 600's, which would probably only run you about $100-$130. significantly less than the cardas cable, and would possibly give you an even bigger upgrade (i havn't tried the cardas cable yet)

but that's just for an upgrade on existing system. when you already have phones for certain uses, like 580's and 325's, it IS cool to get ety's which serve a whole different purpose and add an inflection in the purpose of headphones themselves...

this will run you $270 and probably some more when you get more tips and such. i'd say only do ety's if you REALLY want isolation and REALLY want crisp and accurate sound. people seem to have missed that you mentioned the 580's LACKED BASS, which seems like it would induce more of a reaction than just ety peddling, but unless you mean to say it lacked bass extenstion, and low lows seemed to be clouded by fat mid bass, you probably will be unsatisfied with ety's (at first at least. the sound is generally reguarded as so spectacular that they become extremely enjoyable even though the sound isn't what you thought of as ideal before)

i have both HD600's and ER4S, and not much else in terms of high end equipment, so this is just an opinion. remember how much ease of use gets hit when you switch to ety's from senn's, and that isn't to be taken lightly. you have to really WANT to shove huge slimey rubber nubs into your ear to make it worthwhile. and that 4p->4s cable will run you another 50-60 bucks... i don't know why people stopped just buying 4s, after comparing them both... but i could EASILY be wrong.

Sep 12, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

The only item left on the shopping list is the HD600, so I think. Is this really the reference can of all cans, the phone no true enthuisast should do without? The phone I should purchase for my last and final ugrade?

No.

Sep 12, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
The 501 does balance, midrange, pace, natural dynamics, transparency and clarity like no other headphone I've heard.

You haven't tried the K1000 yet, have you Beagle?
smily_headphones1.gif
All the benefits of the K501 enhanced, plus some decent bass
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by TaffyGuy
i don't know why people stopped just buying 4s, after comparing them both...

Mainly because the 4P + adapter gives you the portable option as well.

Sep 12, 2002 at 7:04 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Glyn
Beagle,

I have AKG K1000 and AKG 501.
After the Stax experience, I want the emotion in the music.
I want 501.

Interesting. I find that when I use the K501, i am totally involved in the music and unaware of what the headphone is doing or not doing. I am compelled to listen to everything all the way through and fully enjoying the song, rather than simply checking out the bass, or midrange or whatever. I simply enjoy the band performing and the singer singing, right in front of me.

I find the AKG uncovers bass lines in songs that were previously unintelligible, and you can follow it through the entire track. And it has the best 'timing' of any headphone I've heard.

MacDEF: No, I haven't heard the K1000, but I've heard a lot about them. They look a bit bulky. Are they? Or are they just as light and comfortable as the 501? Since the drivers sit outside the ears, are they distand sounding?

Sep 12, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
MacDEF: No, I haven't heard the K1000, but I've heard a lot about them. They look a bit bulky. Are they? Or are they just as light and comfortable as the 501? Since the drivers sit outside the ears, are they distand sounding?

In many ways they're actually more comfortable than other headphones, since you don't have the big earpads sitting on your ears. The headband is very comforable, as well. My only "comfort" problem with them is that the temple pads put too much pressure where they support the headphones (like two fingers pushing the sides of my head
wink.gif
). They aren't as light as the K501, which are extremely light, but they're not what I'd call heavy.

As for the sound, no, I wouldn't call it "distant" at all -- I would call it more natural, though. The soundstage is better, and since the music is coming from the front/side rather than the side, it sounds more like you're listening to a performance/speakers than any other headphones I've heard.

I personally found the K501 to be excellent headphones with great resolution and detail, but a bit dry and boring. The K1000 retain the resolution and detail, but are more lively and involving to me. The also have a bit better bass extension.

Sep 12, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

The only item left on the shopping list is the HD600, so I think. Is this really the reference can of all cans, the phone no true enthuisast should do without? The phone I should purchase for my last and final ugrade?

Nope.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back