HP1000 bargain
Apr 17, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #16 of 26
You guys really need to start putting the brand of the headphones in the title of the thread..got me all excited for just some Grado
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys really need to start putting the brand of the headphones in the title of the thread..got me all excited for just some Grado
very_evil_smiley.gif

x2
tongue.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #19 of 26
I paid $375 CDN for my mint HP-2 last year

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didnt they retail for $500 in the early 90s though?

People pay high ransom for the collectability and scarcity. $595 worth of sound in 1991 is not worth $2000 today. You could buy a T1. Imagine someone paying $4500 for an HD800 fifteen years from now. And maybe some folks sold their HP1000 for what they paid because they found a better sound in something else around the same price. But if you want the HP1000's particular sound, you have to buy one at whatever price they command. [size=xx-small]And this may possibly be the most useless information I ever posted [/size]
redface.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People pay high ransom for the collectability and scarcity. $595 worth of sound in 1991 is not worth $2000 today.

I've read that the HP1000 was under-priced relative to cost, and this may have contributed to the financial troubles of Grado at the time. No source on that, though.

The free-market does a superb job determining the worth of things, in the end - just give it time.

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And where did you find these??

I wasn't even looking for these,i just went to buy a new cartridge for my TT at an Hi-Fi audio store,and there they were, sitting at the bottom of a glass showcase,among the new Grados,the salesperson told me they belong to a longtime client who wasn't using them anymore,and that they were selling them as a favor to him,funny thing,my girlfriend couldn't believe that i was willing to spend $375 on used headphones,when i could buy a brand new pair of SR-60 for about $100.

By the way,they were asking $350,i paid $375 because i bought,some new ear pads.
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

just some grado? take it back! (
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back