HP-1000
Mar 6, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Why? Due to the rarity, or have you heard it and think it sounds better? Inquiring minds wish to know. (there's so little info about hte HP1Ks nowadays)

All one has to do is read the John Grado interview by Zanth stickied at the top.
wink.gif

As an aside, is anyone interested in knowing how to tell HP-2’s and HP-3’s apart? No? Okay, I won’t spill the beans on that. Oh what’s that I hear? Some threats of castration? Heh, no need to get all uppity and everything! The answer is…..on the underside of the pads, just like we tell the production number of the Reference series and the Pro series! On each HP-3, it was clearly marked HP-3. This HP-3 is easily rubbed off though. Ah crap then…how can we really know if someone can just rub it off? Well, for one thing, only 50 HP-3’s were ever made! Yep, that is a fact! The number is 50 max, likely less. The first batch of drivers were not as closely matched as possible (where the matching of the drivers was less than the .05 db) and so the decision was made to sell them at a cut below the HP-2’s. These would be paired up and shipped out as HP-3’s. However, on the later runs, the drivers were all able to be matched to .05 db. Therefore what was sold as HP-3’s were usually HP-2’s. That means, of the 50, the majority are up to HP-2 spec anyway, or in a word, HP-2’s rebadged. For those of you with definitive HP-3’s, John said he could not tell the difference in most trials between any of the models. The HP-3’s are so close or dead on exactly like the HP-1’s or 2’s. Another thing, the HP-1’s and 2’s, sound identical to him as well. There should be no difference in the sound at all. The only difference in sound should be equated with the cables if at all. Regarding cables, and this is interesting…only TWO cables were ever produced for the Signature series. The first is the Standard Joseph Grado Signature Cable, and then the second generation or the Joseph Grado Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Signature Reference Cable. But waittaminute…what about those HP-1000’s that came with a cable without any writing on it? Those, folks, are equipped with the RS-1 cable. Some of the phones had to be recabled and those that were, were recabled using the newest cable. I find it very very interesting that those who have heard all three cables have nearly unanimously agreed that the unmarked cable is the best. How many times have I read that Joe was the master and that much was lost on his apprentice John? Could it be that in fact, John does know what he is doing and that as I already stated, the priorities and/or goals are simply distinct? What is also important is that John was working full-time at Grado during the development of the HP-1000’s. Having assembled each and every one, he is keenly aware of their build quality, the production costs and most importantly, their sound. Above all, it was during the production of these HP-1000’s that John took over the company. I think I’m back on track now, aside finished.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #17 of 29
I thought I read that most of the designated HP-3's can really be considered HP-2's. I think I read it in the conversation thread that Zanth had with John.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
Is the pair he's selling Hp1,Hp2 or Hp3?

HP2 or HP3.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda
a grand? that's a terrible price. they were like what three hundred NEW? they are pretty awesome but should never go for more than 500.

biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda
a grand? that's a terrible price. they were like what three hundred NEW? they are pretty awesome but should never go for more than 500.

You're not likely to be a future owner in any auctions then.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #22 of 29
$1225 was the price for a pair on e-bay 3 weeks ago.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Why? Due to the rarity, or have you heard it and think it sounds better? Inquiring minds wish to know. (there's so little info about hte HP1Ks nowadays)

Just rarity. For sound, an hp1k is an hp1k.

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #24 of 29
Mar 6, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #25 of 29
Mar 6, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
This is a more reasonable price http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....wek&1146430974

If that was the actual price they went for.

Reasonable assuming normal depreciation sure; however, depreciation has little effect on an item desired by many.

Each time I handle my HP-2's I can't help but think, "they just don't make them like they use to". Of course, to my ears, the good looks of the HP-1000 are simply a bonus that perfectly compliments the incredibly detailed and tonally accurate sound they reproduce.

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
That is a rediculously low price. Whoever got these is extremely lucky.

I wonder what the price was for these (since the site is now down.)

I just picked up a pair of Grado HP-2's for quite a low price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back