HowTo: Build an Ultra-Slim LOD Cable
Nov 11, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #106 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You use the resistors if you use your LOD on an iPhone or iPod Touch. Because the iPhone has a built-in speaker, it won't default send an audio signal to the dock. You have to load the pins to 'tell' the iPhone that something else is taking care of the sound so send me the signal and mute the internal speaker.

I must have missed what pins the resistors go when I read through this thread, and there have been many posts about only needing to short pins 1-to-11 to make them work with the iPhone or 2G Touch. Can you point to the post where it shows where to put the resistors, and the values?

Nov 22, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #108 of 145
Cheers Punnisher, what a lovely description.....I am in the middle of making my first LOD, i am glad I got the soldering done, man these pins are tiny ...I ruined one dock with too much solder, I bought 3 ipod connectors, just in case....will tell you in a day or two if and how it works! Got most my parts/cables from Qables, and this LOD is also to replace a Qables LOD....it is too big, and sometimes my ipod freezes, never had this before. I am not 100% if it comes from the LOD, but I guess with it hanging out the way it does it moves slightly, never had this type of freezing before I had the LOD....so I hope your low profile LOD will sort me out for good!

o2smile.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #109 of 145
so who around here is making these low profile LODs to sell? the Qables/ALO, etc. ones are much more than i'd like to pay and my soldering stuff is packed away in the garage for now...need one for my 3gs and my future pico slim...any suggestions for builders?

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #110 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so who around here is making these low profile LODs to sell? the Qables/ALO, etc. ones are much more than i'd like to pay and my soldering stuff is packed away in the garage for now...need one for my 3gs and my future pico slim...any suggestions for builders?

In addition to the two above. RSA and TheCablePro have them for $100 and $119 respectively, and punnisher has made many that were only $40. I have two of punnisher's and they have different wire, and one sounds more transparent than the other. My CablePro low profile LOD are very good and transparent sounding so far. stevenkelby and barqy or highflyin9 might make them as a spacial order, but I haven't seen any low profile they have made. I think SARN makes them for $50-100 but is banned for poor customer service and a few bad amps.

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #111 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In addition to the two above. RSA and TheCablePro have them for $100 and $119 respectively, and punnisher has made many that were only $40. I have two of punnisher's and they have different wire, and one sounds more transparent than the other. My CablePro low profile LOD are very good and transparent sounding so far. stevenkelby and barqy or highflyin9 might make them as a spacial order, but I haven't seen any low profile they have made. I think SARN makes them for $50-100 but is banned for poor customer service and a few bad amps.

thanks larry!

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #112 of 145
Got a problem here..
how did you guys manage to attach the lod to the dock of the ipod ?
The mental on the 2 sides of the dock wasn't even there to hook onto the dock of the ipod..
it keeps sliding out, not hooked to the ipod dock at all.

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #113 of 145
i've also made one, but took the pins out to connect them:

but that has been to big and after recognising, that the damn expensive switchcraft connectors wouldn't fit over the switch of my amp, is used the neutrik one:

that usb-out qusp made looks really nice, i think i'm going to make one myself

and how solid is the neutrik connector when cut in half?

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #114 of 145
i also made a slim iPod LOD:

ambee-albums-do-youself-ipod-lod-picture4399-6-new-lod-neutrik-right-angled-plug.jpg

ambee-albums-do-youself-ipod-lod-picture4402-6-1-new-lod-neutrik-right-angled-plug.jpg

i first wanted to use that damn expensive switchcraft-plug, before i recognised that it wouldn't fit over the switch...
redface.gif

how stable are the neutrik plugs when cut into half? i found out, that the connection between amp and the right angled plug isn't as steady as with normal neutrik plugs

and maybe i a build one with an usb-connector like this one, that's really nice

Jan 16, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #117 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pageygeeza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would squirting Silicone sealant into the lod once its finished be a good idea for strain relief?

I think that would work, but hot glue is more commonly used. I think hot glue would be easier to work with.

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #120 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must have missed what pins the resistors go when I read through this thread, and there have been many posts about only needing to short pins 1-to-11 to make them work with the iPhone or 2G Touch. Can you point to the post where it shows where to put the resistors, and the values?

11 to 30, and 21 to 30 using a 1K resistor
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back