How's the weather in Scotland?
Aug 31, 2009 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

cp8ir

Head-Fier
I'm going to be popping over for a visit next week and thinking of what to pack and expect. I may have to buy the proper attire, considering that it has been ~100F blazing sun where I'm at of late. Will be seeing the tourist traps and big cities, as far north as Isle of Skye and Loch Ness. Thanks!

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #2 of 34
Bring cold, wet and windy gear. Are you staying in a group or alone? It's not wise to go trampling about alone, and in fact groups of people have got into trouble requring rescue. If you're hiking take a spare set of dry clothes in a waterproof bag.

Also beware of any caves, there ldwells some foul beasts.

rabbit-montypython.jpg

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 34
west coast? well assume it will be raining it always rains on the west coast, probably be fairly high humidity unlikely to be very warm and for the love of god bring midge repellent or over there they will eat you alive

Scottish Midges Feature Page on Undiscovered Scotland

btw why are you going away up there?

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 34
The topic brought to mind my current single favorite lyric of the season: "Finding the sun in an Irish summer/ Is something akin to Russian roulette." - The Duckworth Lewis Method

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 34
Take 1 pair of shorts and 3 jumpers. Scotland has unpredictable weather because of the large number of microclimates and particularly in the West there is greater fluctuation in precipitation. Nothing works against midges so once it gets to dusk and you're in a midge area, stay indoors. Not even dogs will go outside when theres a midge swarm. Midges are rare in any sort of urban area though.

In Edinburgh, be sure to see The Castle, the Royal Mile, the Camera Obscura, Princes Street and the Monument. Half of Edinburgh is being dug up for tramworks at the minute so traffic is hellish in places, but the festival is over so its not the 9th level hell it has been lately. If you fancy a drink of a night in edinburgh, Rose Street makes for a lovely self contained little pub crawl. And the core of Edinburgh is good walking streets and mostly pedestrian friendly. Taxi fares are very reasonable and there is a good bus service too.

I'm ill informed to give advice on Glasgow except to say avoid the place. I've never liked the city.

If you're planning to visit Dundee, spend an extra day in Edinburgh instead. Ditto Perth, which is mainly made of mobile phone shops.

Generally you'll be alright this time of year. The weather will be milder and slightly drier, and you'll not freeze unless you're up on high ground and or exposed.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 34
May I also recommend you buy proper clothing to fit their style. Don't wear tennis shoes with pants (unless they're running pants and you're running). Wear nice looking slacks (even chinos) and nice collared (or turtle neck) shirts with brown or black comfortable, but dressy, shoes. T-Shirts and jeans will make you immediately look like an American. Kind of like a floral shirt with a camera around your neck makes you look like a tourist here. It gives people an immediate impression that you may not want.

Putting the effort in to look like a local will make a huge difference in your travels. People will be much more comfortable and will open up very easily with you. It's worth the trouble to figure out their customs before going. Seemingly simple things like tipping, ordering at a bar, grabbing a taxi, etc. can vary significantly and make you stand out.

Have fun up there.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May I also recommend you buy proper clothing to fit their style. Don't wear tennis shoes with pants (unless they're running pants and you're running). Wear nice looking slacks (even chinos) and nice collared (or turtle neck) shirts with brown or black comfortable, but dressy, shoes. T-Shirts and jeans will make you immediately look like an American. Kind of like a floral shirt with a camera around your neck makes you look like a tourist here. It gives people an immediate impression that you may not want.

Putting the effort in to look like a local will make a huge difference in your travels. People will be much more comfortable and will open up very easily with you. It's worth the trouble to figure out their customs before going. Seemingly simple things like tipping, ordering at a bar, grabbing a taxi, etc. can vary significantly and make you stand out.

Have fun up there.

Pardon me, but what a load of nonsense. I wear jeans and a t-shirt the majority of the time and so do countless tens of thousands of Scots. Although I rarely wear trainers because they make my feet sweat they're common as muck too. It's not like the streets are filled with bombastic chino and brogue wearing, flat cap doffing, spontanious disney film dancing quirkily accented bankers and chimney sweeps. And as if on immediately opening your mouth people won't realise that you're American anyway.

As for the rules of pub ettiquette. Nothing surpasses Kate Fox and her fabulous wee book. Link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oops, my bad! this would be more like it then?

outfit-argyll.jpg

That's so astonishingly hideous on so many levels.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for the rules of pub ettiquette. Nothing surpasses Kate Fox and her fabulous wee book. Link.

Two pages in and it's the best thing I've ever seen linked on Head-Fi. I'm saving the rest for tonight over a six pack of Abita (local beer).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back