How would your rate Head Direct's RE0 against Grado iGi ?
Jun 15, 2011 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

FLHKE

New Head-Fier
I'm on the market for my first pair of good IEM for under $100 and I've been looking at reviews for the praised Head Direct RE0 and the Grado iGi. Both are priced around $80 and they seem to be similar in some ways, but I've never seen a direct comparison.

I'm currently using a Sennheiser HD 25-1 II at home, driven by a Native Instrument Audio 2 DJ DAC. I get all the punch out of my tracks (pretty much everything in FLAC), and I'm looking for the same sound signature. What I love about the HD25 is the depth of the sound, I get punchy bass when needed, yet mids and treble are very well rendered. I listen to pretty much anything from electronic music to hip-hop, from metal to classical, and I'm definitely not looking for that oomph sound you can hear on the vast majority of today's headphones.

Now, as I said, I'm looking for IEMs. I've been using a pair of Creative Aurvana so far (which are pretty good, yet a bit empty in the mids), and a cheap Panasonic one (lots of bass, no trebles, wouldn't mind if it breaks).

My plan is to get a Sansa Clip+ / Rockbox (to FINALLY have a gapless player), and I'll be using a Fiio E5 as an amp.

Now that you know a bit more about what I'm looking for, what would you recommend the most ? Oh, also, I've read that the RE0 are prone to microphonics, but they've changed the phone's cable ? What's the situation now ? Will I be getting a cloth or plastic cable if I was to order one now ?

Thanks for your help headfiers! :)

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 2
The RE0 sounds right up your alley, if you are looking for punchy but not overpowering bass, and levels of technical proficiency and clarity/resolution that can compete with higher price brackets. I only had a very brief listen to the iGi but it did not impress, my memory is too fuzzy for specifics heh.

Microphonics can be bothersome unless you wear it cord-up, which you can. I have heard about their new versions, but alas I have sold my RE0s and am not informed of how the new ones are built or sound. Still, I will recommend it in a heartbeat unless they have done truly horrible things to it in the revisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back