How well do Grados hold up physically over time?
Jul 17, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #46 of 49
I've had my SR-60 for a year. Some of the silver is wearing off the lettering, but that's no big deal. The main problem I have is that now and again the right earpiece falls off the metal rod. I just have to push it on again.

The pads seem to have changed colour a bit. Looking slightly green. That is either my sweaty ears or possibly sunshine fading them. They get left on my desk near a window most of the time.

Jul 17, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #47 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmunky
Anyone recommend any kind of silver paint markers?

Try a metallic silver Sharpie pen. It's essentially a regular Sharpie filled with silver paint. You can find them at Wal-Mart for around $2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Rymer
The paint on the L of my HF-1s has pretty much all come off. The paint on the R is immaculate, as is that on the ends of the chamber. What is the difference that causes that? No idea.

Funny. The opposite thing happened on my MS-Pros. The "R" flaked off with the slightest touch. However, the "L" didn't come off no matter how hard I scratched it.

Jul 18, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #48 of 49
After about 8 months of almost daily use of my HF-1's, and all the silver lettering is still, surprisingly, in immaculate shape. I've handled them either by the bowls or the headband and adjust them by pushing down on the top of the L and R's or pulling the bowls down.

I don't mind the extra care that's needed. It's my first quality headphone, and it's limited as it is, so it's only appropriate that it deserves just that much.

Jul 18, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #49 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacious D
The weak grado build quality really pisses me off. If I'm gonna pay 200 dollars for headphones they should be made of metal, wood, and leather. To be fair, the build quality of almost all audiophile headphones is disappointing. How much does it cost to use leather earpads instead of pleather? I guess these companies can't afford to cut their profit margin down 3% on products that are already overpriced. Either audiophile headphone companies are making a killing or high end drivers are incredibly expensive to make.

huh, did you have an example of the poor build quality you speak to pertaining to high end or audiophile phones? Just curious, my experience with every Mfr is there are outliers along and on the outside of every chart and/or Mfg process..
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back