How well do Grados hold up physically over time?
Feb 15, 2006 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Rob80b

Headphoneus Supremus
Just curious how well do Grados hold up under normal home use,
I’ve only had my new SR225’s for about six weeks and they already look well used, the paint on the buttons has literally rubbed off after about a week , the cables have taken on a twisted life of their own and the pads have already lost some of their shape.
I normally take extra care and pride in keeping things for years, even my 20 year old AKG K240DF’s look fine, 3 year old K501’s and HD580’s look almost as good as new and they all gotten their share of use and abuse.
The sr225's sound great and it would be nice to keep them around for the next 10 -15 years at least.

Feb 15, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 49
"rubbed off"... what do you do, sit there and sub at the paint? No wonder it came off.

We all baby our headphones and I can tell you that my three-year old SR-80's were in practically brand new condition when they left my home for whoever I sold them to (I forget), except for some dust, but then again that's normal.

Feb 15, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
"rubbed off"... what do you do, sit there and sub at the paint? No wonder it came off.

We all baby our headphones and I can tell you that my three-year old SR-80's were in practically brand new condition when they left my home for whoever I sold them to (I forget), except for some dust, but then again that's normal.

I heard from a lot of people that the paint rubs off pretty easily. Many people use silver marker pens to fix that.

Feb 15, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 49
I've used my SR80's for a few months now (indoor use only) and the paint is 100% perfect. I don't know, I guess I just take really good care of my stuff.

PS, gasp.. a fellow Torontonian!

Feb 15, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 49
If it's the hp-series till the end of time. If it's the Sr range then they need to be handle with a bit more care. I am not a fan of the build quality of the sr range.

Feb 15, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
some of the grados the paint rubs off easily, especially the HF1

x2... its like lottery "scratcher" tickets... the paint scrapes off with a fingernail.

Garrett

Feb 15, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
x2... its like lottery "scratcher" tickets... the paint scrapes off with a fingernail.

Garrett

heh, on the right side i just scratched the rest off with my finger nail so it didn't look all ghetto...

o wells... if i get mine modded maybe larry can fix it somehow.

Feb 15, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
some of the grados the paint rubs off easily, especially the HF1

They share the same outer plastic driver housing and L/R plastic post/headband connectors as every Grado from the SR60 through the SR225. Why would the paint rub off any easier?

Feb 15, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 49
I have had my 125's for a week and the R is almost gone
frown.gif

Cables do tend to twist up but Ive not had too much trouble there yet,

Wish they were a lil more rugged though.

Feb 15, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
They share the same outer plastic driver housing and L/R plastic post/headband connectors as every Grado from the SR60 through the SR225. Why would the paint rub off any easier?

i've owned alot of grados.... they all aren't built the same, parts aren't always the same, and all i can tell you is the ms2i i've had and used (quiet alot) for a year hasn't a smudge of paint worn off.

Feb 15, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #12 of 49
I've had the SR60's since 97 and they are in perfect condition. I am a little O/C though...so I am meticulous in my usage. That said, I used the SR60's as portable phones for 4 years and they still look great. GoRedWings19 said it best, the HP-1000's are well indestructible. The PS-1's are close. I'd handle the woodies like a precious stone or a newborn. They deserve it too.

That said...I remember a tale of a headwizer who fought off a mugger with his SR60's. SR60's 1, Mugger 0. Grados are made for New Yorkers
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #13 of 49
My SR-80s were holding up well until I started bring it from school and home. The plastic piece on the right side broke off the headband, lost the rubber cap which keeps the driver enclosure from sliding out, the SR-80 button fell off of one side to list a few. They're in somewhat a sad state but they still sound great and thats what really matters. My buddy which also didn't treat his 125s so well had all the same happen plus the cable is giving out on him. Major thing I learned was buy from an authorized dealer and treat them nice.

Feb 15, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel

materials variation. i'm sure there are plenty of SR series phones that have shoddy paint, too.

Feb 15, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
i've owned alot of grados.... they all aren't built the same, parts aren't always the same, and all i can tell you is the ms2i i've had and used (quiet alot) for a year hasn't a smudge of paint worn off.

I'd say that has a lot more to do with individual part lots than Grado model numbers. And the HF-1 DOES share the same plastic parts I mentioned in my previous post with the SR60, SR80, SR125, and SR225. They're from the same molds. My HF-1s have seen daily use since they were delivered and are still in pristine condition. No paint wear at all. So unless we see a pattern here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back