How unportable is the HD600?
Jul 3, 2002 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Vitalstatistix

100+ Head-Fier
I'm torn between the HD600 and the ER4S.
frown.gif

Jul 3, 2002 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 30
Hi, Vitalstatistix. The HD-600 have no isolation at all. You would be much better off with the Etys, if they are comfortable for you.
I have bought 2 pairs of Etys. One got ripped off, and one I sold to Kelly. I miss them so much I think I'll order a 3rd pair, and keep them.

Jul 3, 2002 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 30
Vitalstatistix do you read Asterix?
smily_headphones1.gif

From all I've heard, if you can stick the etys in your ears, and you can get it to seal properly and it doesn't hurt your ears, the rest is all worth it
biggrin.gif

I'm getting a pair myself
smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 3, 2002 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Vitalstatistix do you read Asterix?
smily_headphones1.gif

From all I've heard, if you can stick the etys in your ears, and you can get it to seal properly and it doesn't hurt your ears, the rest is all worth it
biggrin.gif

I'm getting a pair myself
smily_headphones1.gif

I love Asterix!
cool.gif
In fact, I'm his chief!
biggrin.gif

Is it hard to maintain the etys?

Jul 3, 2002 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 30
The 600's are large and bulky and very good sounding.

As far as portable, do you mean just to carry somewhere and use or use for outdoors?

I take mine on some business trips with me. Other trips I take KSC35's. Depends on how much other stuff I'm carrying.

Outdoors, the 600's are ear muffs. January and February, they're nice. The rest of the year, can't wear them except in A/C. Personally didn't find the Ety's comfortable, but didn't have a lot of time with them.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.

Jul 3, 2002 at 10:29 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso
The 600's are large and bulky and very good sounding.

As far as portable, do you mean just to carry somewhere and use or use for outdoors?

Yeah. It's not too hard to carry it around is it?

Anyway, is there an issue with using it on the train (with an amp)?

Quote:

Sorry about your wallet.

Dammit!
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2002 at 10:39 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Anyway, is there an issue with using it on the train (with an amp)?

Yes definitely. The noise!

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 3, 2002 at 10:47 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs

Yes definitely. The noise!

Oh that's right *slaps forehead* For some reason I forget that it's not a closed can.
redface.gif

Hmmm....time to order an amp from tangent.

Jul 3, 2002 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Vitalstatistix

Oh that's right *slaps forehead* For some reason I forget that it's not a closed can.
redface.gif

Hmmm....time to order an amp from tangent.

tongue.gif

If you commute by train/bus Etys are perfect. I almost missed my train today, because I was persuaded by the music to close my eyes for a few seconds - upon opening them again, the train was *there* and people were getting on and off it. I stood app. one meter away from it, and I *just did not hear it*.
Okay, I probably had them on a little louder, and I was a little tired, but nevertheless I was so carried away that I even missed the vibrations...

If you walk a lot, the microphonics will get on your nerves at first, but you get very used to it.

As for maintenance - what maintenance? Now and again you can exchange / clean the tips / foamies, that's about it, very easy.
I have yet to exchange the filters, but I guess it is not going to be too hard.

I sometimes prefer my big Senns at home, but the inexistant isolation puts them out for any kind of of outdoor activity that involves noise. The Etys seal will allow you to reduce the volume blasting into your ears without loosing detail, and they also have close to zero leakage - healthy, excellent sound, and positive social effects at the same time! It's hard to believe that there are such phones at all!
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 30
I own HD 600's and Ety 4p's. Love them both. I listen at home mostly to the Sennheisers, but for portability, ambient sound attenuation and convenience the etys cannot be beat. The "P" model plays loud and clear without amplification directly from my Sony CDP. The whole package could fit in the back pocket of your Levi's.
And for listening in noisy environnments, like airplanes, the etys are pure pleasure. If sound quality is the only criterion, it is a toss up. The Sennheisers are slightly more comfortable, but you quickly get used to the etys.
Hug

Jul 3, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #14 of 30
I'd be cautious when reading comments by Ety fans that the Etys are comfortable or easy to get used to wearing until I actually try them on myself. Everyone's ears are differently shaped and sized, and I find that canal phones aren't the thing for me. I have a pair of Sony EX70 canalphones and I can't leave them in without the insides of my ear getting sore and raw after a while. They also tend to slip out of my ears on their own, making it difficult to get a good seal. I suggest that you try out the Etys before you make the decision to purchase them, because, in spite of what everyone tells you, you may or may not like in-ear canalphone designs. Also, the problem with microphonics (hearing your own breathing, footsteps loudly) may put some people off.

Jul 3, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #15 of 30
I absolutely agree with that. In-ear cannot be for everyone. I noticed that my right earcanal is a little wider than the left one, and so I have to take more care to get a good seal there as I currently have just one size of tips.
There are things that produce "interesting" effects as well, such as eating, especially crunchy things, walking with hard-soled shoes, running...
If you are a person that does not like earbuds (as I am) you should not be afraid to try out the Etys as the feeling is, IMHO, much different. You can eliminate that unpleasant pull on your ears by wrapping the cord back over your ears, and although they seem much bigger and seal much tighter than any buds, they feel less present, because they do not move around at all when put in correctly. I also do not feel my ears to be "blocked" because there is no external pressure on them as with circumaural cans.
All I can say really is that they are well worth trying, and if you order from HR you can always return them. You will either love them or hate them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back