How unportable is the HD600?
Jul 3, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #16 of 30
What about the Beyerdynamic DT250/250 for that purpose? It should be easier to drive than the HD600, which might be nice even if you're willing to use an anmp, anyway. In addition, it would provide you with some isolation and a fairly good sound quality... And the coiled cord should be more convenient than the long straight one on the HD600, too, when you're in a train/plane/bus/taxi/whatever...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 4, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #17 of 30
I have both the HD600s and ETY ER-4S phones and drag around a Cosmic amp as well. I find both work equally well depending on my mood and location. For pleasure walking around, I prefer the HD 600s since I actually like a little street ambiance as background to my music. For the train and plane, I prefer the Etys for isolation. I had to get earmolds made to get to seal one of my ears. Each has a unique and welcome sound and I would hate to have to choose one over the other.

Jul 4, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Walt Milliken
I have both the HD600s and ETY ER-4S phones and drag around a Cosmic amp as well. I find both work equally well depending on my mood and location. For pleasure walking around, I prefer the HD 600s since I actually like a little street ambiance as background to my music. For the train and plane, I prefer the Etys for isolation. I had to get earmolds made to get to seal one of my ears. Each has a unique and welcome sound and I would hate to have to choose one over the other.

Color me impressed. I find it difficult enough as it is to have my boss walking by my desk when I'm wearing my HD600 and mouthing "Help Me Obi-Wan Kenobe" every single time he looks at me in my Princess Leia getout.

I have the 600 and new Ety as well, and have been pondering custom earmolds as well. I figured I'd give the native mounts a few weeks to see how I cope, but it's tempting. Did you find that the custom mounts altered the performance of your 4S in any noticeable fashion? (Well, it sounds like it solved your seal issues...)

AMcT

Jul 4, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #19 of 30
Hmmm....isolation isn't that big an issue for me, coz I hardly commute by plane and my train rides are only about 15mins each way. In fact, I reckon that isolation maybe a bad thing at work coz I wouldn't be able to hear, for example, the phone ring or my colleagues trying to talk to me from a distance.

Sound quality is a BIG issue for me though.
very_evil_smiley.gif

What about cost considerations as well? Etys cost $269 not inclusing s+h, while Jan is offering the HD600 for $200 with s+h included. I can do some cable upgrades for let's say an extra $120 for the Clou Red.

Hmm....at this stage I'm leaning towards the HD600 plus either the porta corda or a hansen combo. For portability with not-as-much-isolation-as-the-Etys cans, I would use the 250-80 to provide isolation but not to be totally shut-out. Then I'll upgrade my amp to META42 next.

What do you think?

Jul 4, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #20 of 30
If you plan to get the HD600 from Jan you might as well get the Corda HA-1 from him as well. He gives an added discount for both item. If you are adventures you can get the Corda HA-1 DIY kit and save even more. Do a search for comments on the Corda if you haven't done so already.

Jul 4, 2002 at 3:15 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by sunshine
If you plan to get the HD600 from Jan you might as well get the Corda HA-1 from him as well. He gives an added discount for both item. If you are adventures you can get the Corda HA-1 DIY kit and save even more. Do a search for comments on the Corda if you haven't done so already.

I'm not sure whether to get the headamp or to get tangent to assemble me one though.....

Jul 4, 2002 at 6:05 AM Post #23 of 30
Demoed the HD600 in a hi-fi shop just then. First impression: this is one TIGHT can! I could actually feel a minor headache coming on! Jeez! Then again I could stretch it using a couple of dictionaries or something.
redface.gif

HD600 selling for $800 Australian Dollars (approx $445 US)! What a rip-off!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
I would compare the price diffrence between the hansen and meta42. It may not be that much diff. If that is the case, FWIW,I personally would get the meta42.

I might get both.
smily_headphones1.gif

But not sure if the hansen/cmoy is any better than the porta corda.

Jul 4, 2002 at 6:27 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

HD600 selling for $800 Australian Dollars (approx $445 US)!

What would the cost be if ordered from Jan Meier?

Quote:

But not sure if the hansen/cmoy is any better than the porta corda.

Tough call. I think the meta42 maybe better than both.

Jul 4, 2002 at 6:40 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg

What would the cost be if ordered from Jan Meier?

$200US (inc s+h) from Jan. If I were to buy the HD600 I'll get it from him for sure. With the porta corda combo the price is $365 which is a great deal.

Jul 4, 2002 at 1:12 PM Post #26 of 30
If you don't need portability then I would definately go with the corda HA-1 instead of the porta corda. I prefer it slightly better than the mg head, which is a tube amp, that I also own. Though I haven't heard a PC, cmoy or meta42 I would hazard a guess that the corda would sound better.

Jul 4, 2002 at 5:52 PM Post #27 of 30
Vitalstatistix,
Before you invest a lot of money (and storage bulk) in headphones, amps, batteries etc., you really should audition a pair of Etymotic ER4P's (not S's) plugged directly into your CDP. You will have a much more simple, portable package that really sounds quite good and is extremely small and light. I wouldn't consider carrying my Sennheisers around as a portable package. By the way, HD 600's may be overkill for a PCDP. I just picked up a pair of new HD580's at UBID.com for $94 each (for home theater use).
Hug

Jul 5, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #28 of 30
Yeah I understand that it may be inconvenient to drag the headphone around. I'm thinking of upgrading my rigs in the future, so I would buy the HD600 as an investment first. I know the etys are highly regarded, but I'm not sure whether it is better than the HD600 considering the sound only.

Jul 5, 2002 at 5:27 AM Post #29 of 30
Both have their advantages, and disadvantages. But, the Etys are certainly the equal of the HD-600s. And, I am willing to bet that one would have to spend more on the up-stream components to make the HD-600s the equal of the Etys. Not to say, that the Etys couldn't use a good amp, or source also.

Quote:

Originally posted by Vitalstatistix
I know the etys are highly regarded, but I'm not sure whether it is better than the HD600 considering the sound only.

Jul 5, 2002 at 3:46 PM Post #30 of 30
HD 600 vs. Ety 4P on the basis of sound quality alone?
My home rig includes a Theta front end and Melos SHA-1 for headphone listening. In that set up the etys have better bass and more top end extension than the HD 600s. Most people would judge them superior.
Hug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back