How to use a Little Dot MK III as a preamp?
Jan 5, 2011 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zudeo

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Like the thread title states, I've purchased a Little Dot MK III and i'm loving it so far, but I was wondering if it was possible to use the my Auzentech Forte soundcard or the LD MK III as a preamp, and would this be recommended? I currently have a line level output from the Forte to the input of the LD MK III.  The Forte currently has it's own headphone amp.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 6
Sure you can use it as a preamp.  What amp are you planning to use it with?

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 6
Well, before I get ahead of myself, both the Forte and MK III are amps, but which one would be better as a preamp... and for the stupid question, does having a preamp enhance the sound? Maybe 'enhance' wasn't the best word but I hope you know what I mean.

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 6
Oh, you’re talking about using two headphone amps together? That isn’t what the preouts are for.

They are for connecting a separate dedicated amplifier (without a volume knob of its own, etc), usually for the purpose of powering speakers.

Example

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 6
Fair enough. So why would one want two amps and a power amp for just speakers? Also, I'm planning to get the Little Dot DAC_1 in a couple weeks. Is the ideal setup for that Forte -> Toslink -> DAC_1 -> RCA -> MK III to headphones?

Thank you for your help so far. I'm pretty new to head-fi. I used to use Creative Gaming Surround headphones before I found a thread on Overclock.net that opened my eyes to the world of better audio.

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Fair enough. So why would one want two amps and a power amp for just speakers? Also, I'm planning to get the Little Dot DAC_1 in a couple weeks. Is the ideal setup for that Forte -> Toslink -> DAC_1 -> RCA -> MK III to headphones?

Well in the picture I posted, I don't use both of the tube preamps/headphone amps at the same time; only one would be connected to my stereo amp at any given time.  They use different styles of power tubes that give them different sonic characteristics so I switch between them.

Your cable layout is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back