How to test the noise level in my headphones?
Jul 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

koolkat

1000+ Head-Fier
I've heard that using an amplifier will increase the noise level that is already there in my portable set-up, so I'm thinking of testing my headphones/source to see if the noise level or hissing is already horrible, before buying the amp. So how do I do this?

Search came up with nothing useful.

thanks.

Jul 24, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 6
Set up a silent file to be played back at your normal volume level, and use your ears for the measuring.    You can compare that silent file with taking the headphones out of the jack.  

Numbers are all fine and dandy, but ultimately in the end, what's going through your ears is what determines what will sound the best.

Jul 24, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 6
Oh thanks so much!

Regarding botbyte, I don't have any beef with him. I just don't like it when more seasoned head-fiers
come up with smarty pants answers when a new head-fier is looking for a serious answer. I've noticed a tiny group of
people in these forums to be very elitist. Hm.

Ty for the help :)

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 6
The noise level in a portable setup is going to depend more on the environment than anything internal.  When I was in college, we used to hook up an antenna to an oscilloscope just to look at the EM noise in the electronics lab with all kinds of circuitry stuff going on.  We'd see 3-5V p-p waves of all shapes in that room.  Outside, you'd see almost nothing.

Certain places may just be noisy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back