How to stream FLACS from a Mac to an iPad2 ?
Jun 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

guido

1000+ Head-Fier
What Mac program and iPad app do you recommend in order to stream Flac files from an iMac to an iPad2 without losing any native resolution of the Flac files?

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 9
First, I'd check out this thread, for iTunes alternatives since we all know, Mac doesn't support FLAC files out of the box. Then, take a look at Airfoil. It'll take care of the streaming part, but not all that sure if it streams uncompressed.

Hope this helps some what.

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks guys

Unfortunately Apple has removed Airfoil Speakers Touch from the iOS App Store....it would have been a good program to use on the iPad.

I have a large number of Flac files and would prefer not to convert....but it may be the best solution.

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 9
You could run LMS "Logitech Media Server" it's free.  iPeng or SqueezePad on your iPad will playback flac streamed from LMS.  iPeng or SqueezePad with local playback will cost about $15.

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks DrTone....using LMS and Squeezepad according to your recommendations...works very well!

Any idea if the Flac files are being output in native resolution from the iPad using this method or if they are being downsampled?

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why not convert them to ALAC? It's the same thing as FLAC but more convenient if you're an iDevice user.

Quote:
I have a large number of Flac files and would prefer not to convert....but it may be the best solution.

I feel you on not wanting to convert, and possibly you might also hate the Apple's sync vs drag and drop (especially when you want to remove files and add others, when they won't just give us SDcard slots) which FLACPlayer didn't solve. However I received an iPad2 as a gift, and since a few months ago USB Audio wasn't a standard Android feature vs the CCK (and as long as your DAC won't need USB power), I've read up and found a few options. I'm on an extended vacation now so I can't get the whole system running, although I have my desktop amp and headphones with me, plus a new laptop, and will dedicate the older one for music:

1) Use the other laptop as an iTunes sync device. No clogging my HDD with multiple copies or confusing media players as to what library is theirs, and sync really annoys me anyway. But with this spare laptop I can have an ALAC and AAC iTunes computer and stream those to the iPad hooked up to my amp via USB. I'll fill the iPad with my favorite tracks, stay offline and save the battery (unless I really need to check something online) and then use the older laptop to stream the rest of the music through iTunes.

2) MonkeyMote (uses the iPad as remote for Foobar or MediaMonkey) and a wireless DAC (AirDAC, DAC1, etc). I got it working with the new laptop and I have to say it's convenient; but not really until I get a wireless DAC. I'll either use this with the old laptop and its 500gb drive nearer my AC, as I hate being near that since I hear it through my cans, or my main rig in another room if the signal works well enough.

3) Long run, I'll probably just save up for a darned music server; use the iPad for quick listening via USB, and as a remote for the server using control apps. Musical Fidelity M1 server is expensive, but Aune has a $600 option.

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Thanks DrTone....using LMS and Squeezepad according to your recommendations...works very well!

Any idea if the Flac files are being output in native resolution from the iPad using this method or if they are being down sampled?

LMS shouldn't be touching anything unless you've configured it to otherwise.  What the iPad's audio engine does with the audio is another question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back