Jan 31, 2017 at 12:53 AM
- Mar 19, 2016
- Reaction score
- Mar 19, 2016
@Indigo Bob A few questions if you will, I don't think they have been covered yet:
- while your x3ii is driving the HVA, if it is placed around the mac, while the mac is running and using its wifi, does the issue occur?
- if 1 is false, does the buzz occur if you use your macbooks 3.5mm out to the HVA instead of usb?
- if 1 is true, imagine if your macbooks WIFI antenna were light bulbs, does the issue get worse if you shine the imaginary light through the tubes window on your DAC?
- does your macbook have a usb port on the other side, and have you tried it?
I did some research as this peaked my interest, apple has a few support pages related to USB devices experiencing buzzing among other things, one such issue was apparently not present with the DAC set to 96,000Hz sampling rate. As well, there are many reports about tubes being affected by WIFI signals, as your DAC has a clear window to display the tubes, instead of a metal case or faraday cage, I am interested to find out if the first bullet above is true.
My apologies if I have missed some etiquette, this is my first post here.
Another head-fi-er potentially had a potentially related issue: http://www.head-fi.org/t/376787/tube-amp-interference-problem
Edit: added link, corrected grammar.
That's a good question...
1. There is definite static that occurs as a result of the Rig being next to the laptop with the wifi is on. That's 100% of the time and correlates completely with the wifi being on or off. The background high-pitched hum does seem to arise significantly when the rig is on or next to the mac. This I would want to make sure to test more, but i can say yes to that. It is more substantial when the HVA DAC is plugged into the USB port. But this has only been after 2 trials.
2. The headphone jack sounds normal. There is still some static interference, but no background noise problem with the high pitch sound.
3. Yes, when I face the HVA DAC rigged to the X3ii face down to the keyboard, the static interference is much worse, but the background noise doesn't seem to take a hit.. The background noise seems more directly related to the usb to be honest.
Thank you for the link. I will look into that. I know I am not the only one with the HVA DAC to have this problem, but it was hearsay about others with similar problems so I could directly contact the people.