how to sound science, a messy attempt.
Nov 26, 2015 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

castleofargh

Sound Science Forum Moderator
“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool. “
Richard Feynman

The main idea is to accept that we might not have all the cards in hand. We don't know what we don't know! So it's only rational to start on the principle that we might be missing some elements and that before jumping to conclusion, we should at least make sure the elements we do have are reliable. thus all the measurements and requests for blind tests. Only then, go look for the elements we might have missed, and eventually try to make a statement about what we could conclude.
What we have been taking for granted for a century might be disproved tomorrow by one new information we never had before. Science is reasoned humility. The more we learn, the more we realize how much we didn't know before and how little we can trust ourselves. A good start into the world of science is to avoid jumping to conclusion.
For that reason, people coming in saying “I know”,"I heard", "it's like this" are always a little suspicious. As ignorance is easy to mistake for self confidence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

So what does this have to do with sound science sub forum? Well to quote good old Richard F again:
“Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.”

it's only logical that sound science would also try to discuss topics with all that in mind and use the work and tools provided by others as stepping stones for our understanding. Trying not to assume that we “know it all” when we might not. And expecting everybody to be skeptical of us just like they try to be of themselves. Not for personal reasons, but because we all try our hardest not to be fooled. Trusting unconditionally some dude on the interweb, that wouldn't be the brightest move to avoid being fooled ^_^.

1/ So expect skepticism and be skeptical yourself! There is no such thing as being too cautious when it comes to trying to learn.
If you can't stand it when people doubt you, bring actual proof.

2/ Fact vs opinion:
From the wiki:
“A fact is something that has really occurred or is actually the case. The usual test for a statement of fact is verifiability—that is, whether it can be demonstrated to correspond to experience. Standard reference works are often used to check facts. Scientific facts are verified by repeatable careful observation or measurement (by experiments or other means).”

for most audio arguments, if we can't verify or demonstrate repeatability, then it isn't a fact.
Only verified things should be claimed in sound science. The rest should be clearly expressed as hypothesis or opinion. “I feel like”, “I believe that”, “maybe this”. Such sentences aren't claims, yet they let you express what you think just fine without having to justify yourself.
It's the difference between “I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky” and “I can fly, I can touch the sky”.
The first isn't a claim, it's a belief and as such doesn't need proof.
To us it matters a lot because we're always trying to assess what is factual and what isn't as a mean not to fool ourselves.

3/ burden of proof:
The person making a claim is responsible for trying to prove it.
If I say that I've been abducted by aliens in a pink flying saucer, I can't possibly demand to people doubting my claim, to prove I wasn't abducted. As the one making the claim, it falls on me to prove the reality of it. And if I can't, well then it's only natural that nobody would take me seriously.
Anybody trying to get away from that responsibility is usually doing what is called appeal to ignorance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

trying to escape the burden of proof after making a claim is as good as saying “never trust me again”. So try to keep in mind what your claim is, or what the other guy's claim is. To be clear on everyone's responsibility, and to avoid being dragged into irrational debates.

4/ measurable vs audible vs taste:
A typical example of this would be 2 people arguing about a better sound, one thinking “I preferred that sound, so it was better”, the other guy thinking “I've seen measurements, that one had lower distortions”.
Apples and oranges. Yet if nobody pays attention, that kind of topic can go on for pages with both party getting mad from the apparent nonsense the other side is posting. ^_^
So please try to pay attention to what kind of sound is being discussed in a given topic and never hesitate to make mention of which one you're talking about to avoid confusion.

5/ conditional truth:
Something can be true under a given set of conditions, but false under other conditions.
Statement: “I'm always right!”
Condition: exclude all the times where I'm wrong. ^_^
within those specific conditions, my statement isn't a lie.

The conditions of an experience are just as important as the experience itself. It helps stay true to the conclusions of a test, but it also saves everybody some time as we avoid exploring possibilities outside of the boundaries of the given experience.
Any time you have a problem/question, or anytime you give a feedback about a device, always remember to make mention of the rest of the gear used and the different things you have tried. For example, there is nothing as wasteful as someone talking about a DAP or an amp without stating what headphone he used to reach those conclusions. The headphone is clearly an important condition of how an amp+heaphone will behave. seems obvious yet I still read stuff like that on a regular basis.

Because almost no statement can stay true under all circumstances, it is always better to mention a little too much, than not enough. Be specific!

6/ when in Rome do as the Romans do:
It's a given, but if we are to trust science, and follow all of the above, we have to trust scientific methods:

-Measurements are the most accurate methods to demonstrate the state of a signal.

-Blind tests are the most accurate methods to demonstrate audibility. http://seanolive.blogspot.fr/2009/04/dishonesty-of-sighted-audio-product.html
it's not perfect, but as long as we don't find more reliable, it's the subjective test of choice.

-And an opinion can be right just like it can be wrong. It has very little weight outside of discussing taste, trends, and preferences.

If you believe there are better methods, please tell us all about it, but only if you can demonstrate that they are more accurate than the one we recommend! Just rejecting a method while offering no accurate alternative is not something we need.
If you reject blind testing and measurements, you reject the right to discuss many topics, as you will not be able to prove your point in a way that will satisfy others. And they, in turn, will use methods you reject to demonstrate their points to you. This would just be a painful waste of time for everybody and you will be taken out at some point, as the guy coming to play tennis in a bowling alley.
the very purpose of the sound science sub forum is to discuss sound by the mean of science and scientific methods. If you don't care for that, you're in the wrong section.

in the sound science jungle our weapons of choice are:
Logic
Repeatability https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeatability (measurements, blind tests)
Skepticism
Honesty

Our enemies are:
Self confidence
Ignorance
Lies
Gremlins

And their weapons are
Bias https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases
Placebo
Fallacy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy
Marketing

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 34
not trying to explain all of what science is, nor am I trying to turn the sub section into another website. but I hope this can maybe make sense for a few people who have no science background and sometimes don't understand why we take so seriously something they said without thinking much of it.

critics, advices, a better post, money, nice girl, free gear, I accept it all.

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 34
As a generalisation this hobby does not encourage critical thinking. If the original post was shared with all new HeadFi members I think a lot of time and money could be saved.
Time to listen to more music and money to buy more music.

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 34
As a generalisation this hobby does not encourage critical thinking. If the original post was shared with all new HeadFi members I think a lot of time and money could be saved.

I agree 100%. I'm off now to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. I read the sound of Win 10 is a big improvement. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 34

thanks for the supportive post. to be fair, being human does not encourage critical thinking at a personal level, it's not a behavior limited to audio.

I agree 100%. I'm off now to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. I read the sound of Win 10 is a big improvement. 

^_^. I can't say I'm holding my breath on that one. if win7 was doing something wrong, I imagine I would have discovered it by now when testing gears and softwares in loops with wasapi, virtual audio cable, asio etc.
but I guess people with screwed up install or settings can benefit from a fresh install of any OS from time to time.
wink_face.gif

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 34
^_^. I can't say I'm holding my breath on that one. if win7 was doing something wrong, I imagine I would have discovered it by now when testing gears and softwares in loops with wasapi, virtual audio cable, asio etc. but I guess people with screwed up install or settings can benefit from a fresh install of any OS from time to time.
wink_face.gif

The interesting thing is that for me, it was an upgrade, not a fresh install, so all my data is still here.

I also made sure that Windows audio enhancements were disabled, and I was using bit-perfect software/settings before and now.

And I know that Windows 10 has been proven to be the same via measurements here:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/08/measurements-audiophile-sound-and.html

So I'm at a loss as to why my system sounds so dramatically better after upgrading to Windows 10.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 34
with the upgrade of windows some new drivers must have been installed, meaning overwriting some perhaps buggy previous ones. IDK, but it's at least one possibility.

I would still suggest to loop your system to measure it when you have any doubt. if there is some DSP or anything significant, something like RMAA would most likely show horrendous results compared to the default working ones. RMAA isn't foolproof, but it's an easy enough way to check signal fidelity if you have an ok input.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 34
As much as I agree with the sentiment and the content of this thread, using the word 'science' as a verb is cringeworthy in my opinion. It sounds like we've started to place 'science' at the altar now, and I for one don't see this going down very well....

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 34
  As much as I agree with the sentiment and the content of this thread, using the word 'science' as a verb is cringeworthy in my opinion. It sounds like we've started to place 'science' at the altar now, and I for one don't see this going down very well....

I do so enjoy sciencing while headphoning.
tongue.gif

But seriously, I agree about science sometimes being more akin to a fundamentalist cult than an objective approach to understanding reality—but in those cases, it would be pseudoscience, not real science.

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 34
yes, we have messy science when the senses get involved, (and I assume that this specific thread is related to the HD "wars" going on now).  That is why there is Art in Science (and music) as well as Science in Music (and Art).  Excellent thread on how important it is to know the details......similar to reporting.  Who, What, Where, How and When.  If the "who's' are my children in preschool, possibly the least clarity and dynamics may sound best.  A single instrument, especially if it is an electronic computerized instrument, may have simple(r) harmonics, and a band or a symphony may have multiple and complex interactions and harmonics and dynamics.  Not only that, but who is mastering the music, another gifted or not so gifted artist, and the producer, record label, etc.  Where....is the music being played, where are you listening to it, is it live and "unplugged" or live with multiple speakers and electronics involved.  How....is it recorded or mastered, or how are you listening to it, in a quiet room in the sweet spot, or using headphones, or in a random setting.  How is it being sent through a DAC, and yada yada, and how good is the DAC. I hope you get my drift. 

In good analytical science, you have everything the same, except for ONE variable, and that is tested in one specific way, double blinded and prospective, repeating it.  And it is only as good as the test and the tester, where that darn (or wonderful) art comes back in.  Because a trained person is better than a non-trained person, there is a learning curve as well as differences in the ear hearing and the nerves from the ear to the brain. 

I am a mediocre musician, a decent musical listener, (my mom was a musician) and an excellent scientist and physician and cook.   Years ago, when CDs were replacing vinyl LPs, I did try to compare the two to see if there was a difference to MY ear, and could not hear any, although many people could hear a difference.  So out went the vinyl, as it was a nuisance to keep clean and take care of.  Then came lossy music, and it sounded empty to me, did not sound like a voice, or a specific instrument, it just did not.  That was a training for me, as now I know what to listen for.  I am not sure whether it is harmonics, wave interference, etc, but just as one can tell a difference between live and recorded, I can tell a major difference between lossy formats and CD quality (44 hz16bit), a small but significant difference between CD 16 and CD24, and  DEPENDING ON THE QUALITY of the recording, subjectively more pleasure and more like live music, with a good quality HD recording.  I personally cannot tell a difference between 96 and 192 Hz, and I do not know if I can tell a difference between vinyl and HD, because I have not listened to vinyl since I learned how and what to listen for in the music.  But I am not a highly trained musician and do not work in that field, so I do believe someone who says they can tell the difference.

So, just like there is an art to the physical exam, which it took me years to learn well, there is an art to listening.  So please, let science be science.  If multiple WELL TRAINED and EXPERIENCED musicians do a test, using the best quality masters, then put the exact master in different formats, using the best equipment, and if they cannot tell the difference, only then will it be good science and not personal preference or bad science (not pseudoscience, just bad science, like about 80% of the medical research) 

And about bias......anytime one is selling something, there may be inherent bias.  Just like science done by a pharmaceutical company (or Montsano) may not be as unbiased as science done by someone with no monetary interest, science done by someone selling music or making a living by selling musical equipment, will be biased.  Not that it will be bad, just biased, so make your own opinion, not theirs.

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 34

you mean my super duper confident title? you're reading way to much into it.
biggrin.gif

it was "sound science" as in, the sub forum section of headfi(I didn't pick that name).
and TBH when I wrote the title I was more thinking about this

than about creating a science cult. I'm no even a scientist myself so that wouldn't work. ^_^ (not that I have anything against creating a cult and "try and take over the world").

not trying to explain all of what science is, nor am I trying to turn the sub section into another website. but I hope this can maybe make sense for a few people who have no science background and sometimes don't understand why we take so seriously something they said without thinking much of it.

critics, advices, a better post, money, nice girl, free gear, I accept it all.

if you have a better tittle, I can use my super powers to edit it. same for anything to add or remove in the post itself. I warned in a previous topic that I suck at those things(and in the title). I have the will but not much else. this is a follow up to my not so effective attempt at rehabilitating sound science as a place to try and learn real stuff. instead of wasting pages about straw man arguments and people asking us to prove their own claims.

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #13 of 34
Great! 
I think this thread might be a great starting point for newcomers.

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #15 of 34

The interesting thing is that for me, it was an upgrade, not a fresh install, so all my data is still here.

I also made sure that Windows audio enhancements were disabled, and I was using bit-perfect software/settings before and now.

And I know that Windows 10 has been proven to be the same via measurements here:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/08/measurements-audiophile-sound-and.html

So I'm at a loss as to why my system sounds so dramatically better after upgrading to Windows 10.

Two words: Sighted evaluation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back