How to solder a braided shield?
Apr 11, 2010 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

papomaster

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all!

I want to make a pair of ~10ft interconnects to hook my pre-amp to my monoblocks. The cable I bought is belden 82259 : https://edeskv2.belden.com/Products/#s=82259&r=0, and some neutrik 352g male rca plugs.

The cable has some braided copper shielding around the main wire, which I will use as the ground channel. The thing is that I have no idea how to solder the shield to the plug. Can anyone tell me how I should do that?

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 20
I usually un-braid the shield back about as far as I've stripped the wire, then twist it. Then it's just like soldering another wire.
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #5 of 20
Twist it, tin it, solder. Easy as that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, you might want to cut off a little of the braid or the ground will be way too thick to solder properly.

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never use a shield as a ground channel, it becomes an antennae.

What's the difference between a shield and a cable to act as a ground channel ? (as long as it's connected to a chassis or something similar)

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #12 of 20
With a coaxial cable you have to use the shield as ground, and connect it on both ends.

Next time get shielded twisted pair. Or quad cables. And run your interconnects balanced with floating 10K:600 ---> 10K:10K transformers. Make noise pickup & ground loops call you daddy.

"Whos your daddy?"
Hum: You are...
"damn straight, now **** and get back out there on the corner."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back