How to solder a braided shield?
Apr 13, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #16 of 20
As I've stated before, I intend to use it as a pair of interconnects. On the belden site, it is stated a 75 ohms impedance. However, on the takefiveaudio site, where I bought the cable, it was stated that it could be well-used as interconnects OR coaxial cables. It was a pretty good deal so I jumped on it (and my preamp's output is really high so I figured it wouldn't be so bad after all) and the plugs I bought were regular instead of 75ohms ones.

Also, if it is used as interconnects, doesn't the shield carry a signal only going outwards, i.e. going straight to ground? I know there is no such thing as an unidirectionnal current but does it also go to the speakers?

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if the shield is soldered at one end and not the other?
will reduce the "antenna" issue?

Yes this is the only way a shield should be used. Using it as a ground channel will make a very dirty RFI filled ground.

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #18 of 20
in RCA audio cable the signal reference is the shield - you want the least extra V possible so you want the lowest resistance = most copper possible

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MOGAMI - The Cable of the PROS

or if you can diy:
"'Exotic cables will not stop noise. Expensive cables, even if double or triple shielded, made of 100% unobtainium, and hand woven by virgins will have no significant effect on hum or buzz. Only the resistance of the grounded conductor can make a difference.' If you have to use coax, Belden 8241F, with a low-resistance copper-braid shield, works well for audio and video."
Washington June AES - SMPTE.org

to reduce RF EMI entry it is best practice to have "360 degree" shield termination - not always easy with RCA - BNC often use crimp connections that keep the whole connector coaxial throughout - in video you can often see the consequence of unsymetric shield connections

dividing the braid into 2 or more symetric bundles and symetrically soldering them to the connector would be better than just a single braid termination

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #20 of 20
I have much better luck using 2 conductor cable with a shield terminated at one end.

Old school cables always had the end where the shield was connected to ground marked, so you would hook them up (L & R) the same way and not introduce a new ground loop.

Maybe I'm showing my age? But this new way of doing things seems odd, you're getting no shielding if you ground the shield at both ends as current is travelling thru.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in RCA audio cable the signal reference is the shield - you want the least extra V possible so you want the lowest resistance = most copper possible

to reduce RF EMI entry it is best practice to have "360 degree" shield termination - not always easy with RCA - BNC often use crimp connections that keep the whole connector coaxial throughout - in video you can often see the consequence of unsymetric shield connections

dividing the braid into 2 or more symetric bundles and symetrically soldering them to the connector would be better than just a single braid termination

Users who are viewing this thread

Back