How to set up Xonar STX in Ubuntu
Aug 14, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 3
Best possible sound for the STX alone (i.e., no external DAC), is setting the card for bit perfect output and connecting the analog output to a decent set of amplified speakers or a good stereo amp or receiver. Bit perfect will depend on what audio player you are using. For easy bit perfect output I would recommend any of the following players, since they provide you with the setting options needed to bypass Pulse Audio:

1. Gmusicbrowser
2. Quod Libet
3. Guayadeque
4. Deadbeef
5. Audacious

Bypassing Pulse Audio is necessary in order to eliminate the Linux mixer which down samples everything to 16/44.1K. Not good if you plan on listening to hi-rez audio. If not, then I wouldn't even worry about it.  All you need to know is whether your STX card is hw:0,1 or something else. If you have no onboard audio active in your BIOS, or other soundcards installed, your STX is probably hw:0,1. To find out for certain, open a terminal and type "aplay -l" (no quotes). Look for your STX card. 

Here's the link you need: http://www.head-fi.org/t/561961/bit-perfect-audio-from-linux#post_7596268

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Best possible sound for the STX alone (i.e., no external DAC), is setting the card for bit perfect output and connecting the analog output to a decent set of amplified speakers or a good stereo amp or receiver. Bit perfect will depend on what audio player you are using. For easy bit perfect output I would recommend any of the following players, since they provide you with the setting options needed to bypass Pulse Audio:

1. Gmusicbrowser
2. Quod Libet
3. Guayadeque
4. Deadbeef
5. Audacious

Bypassing Pulse Audio is necessary in order to eliminate the Linux mixer which down samples everything to 16/44.1K. Not good if you plan on listening to hi-rez audio. If not, then I wouldn't even worry about it.  All you need to know is whether your STX card is hw:0,1 or something else. If you have no onboard audio active in your BIOS, or other soundcards installed, your STX is probably hw:0,1. To find out for certain, open a terminal and type "aplay -l" (no quotes). Look for your STX card. 

Here's the link you need: http://www.head-fi.org/t/561961/bit-perfect-audio-from-linux#post_7596268

Thanks for the advice it worked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back