How to properly connect M-Audio Studiophile BX5s?
Sep 22, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for your noise issue. I believe I mentioned this before - my BX5s have the same characteristic in regards to standing noise. But, the difference is with mine - it doesn't get louder when audio cables are plugged in. My point being, you'll never get the BX5s totally silent unless you open them up and do some kind of mod inside. What that mod would be, I don't know. Perhaps upgrading power caps? I'm considering this myself.

Right, I understand that there is some level of noise I will probably have to deal with, and that's fine.

What I don't understand is why that noise needs to get louder whenever the audio cables are plugged in.
I've rearranged my electrical outlets, and even moved the speakers to an entirely new circuit, but it remains.

I'm sure the problem lies with the cabling, not the AC? It seems to act as an amplifier?

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jconly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure the problem lies with the cabling, not the AC? It seems to act as an amplifier?

Sort of... When you connect the cables from the 0404 USB to your monitors, you're making an electrical connection; everything that can possibly leak electrical sound into the 0404 USB makes its way to your monitors.

You might try connecting to the 0404 using a digital coaxial or optical cable, if your motherboard / sound card supports S/PDIF or TOSlink output. Several people have suggested that this method may be better than USB in some cases.

Or, it could be that the speakers have noisy internal amplifiers that only become louder when an actual load is connected.

Sep 23, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #35 of 39
As long as you're happy with your setup. Maybe a power regenerator is in your distant future.
tongue.gif

Did you notice any differences in sound quality with the new balanced connectors versus the old unbalanced ones?

Sep 23, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #36 of 39
Oh def.
They made a good deal of a difference.

It certainly changed the tone of the audio.
My old cabling was gold I believe, where as this is silver. I've read a bit where this can make a difference, so that what I attribute the changes to.

I love the new sound.

Sep 23, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jconly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My old cabling was gold I believe, where as this is silver. I've read a bit where this can make a difference, so that what I attribute the changes to.

The Canare wire is pure copper with a tinned copper braid... not a bit of silver in it. Gold is almost never used for cabling; the cable you had before was likely copper too. Maybe you were referring to the gold plating on the connectors.

The real difference is in the quality of the cable construction, the materials used, and the fact that it's balanced. I just like hearing about the differences between unbalanced versus balanced.
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #38 of 39
I'd forgotten to check this thread even tho I listed it in my subcriptions.

@OP: For the noise you get from the phone. is it a BZZZZz only. or also the beeps?

I randomly get the beeps every now and then, but if I'm about to recieve a call..my speakers go BZZZZZZZZZZ (before my ringtone even goes off) and a few seconds later I get the beeps. and my phone is a GSM network phone. though the phones of my other friends/roomates do not seem to interfere [I'll look into this more, one of my roomates just got a iPhone, but my speakers are being shipped to m-audio because one of my friends somehow thought it was the volume knob and pushed in my tweeter...]. Alot of them are also on cingular (gsm) like me, but have samsungs. I know for sure my friend with verizon phone hasn't induced the problem, because he regularly uses my laptop/speakers all at the same desk.

--edit v2--
even at 0 volume, I get the beeps quite audibly. Sometimes even with the volume only turned up a bit..the beeps get really loud. I'm not sure if the beeps have ever gotten really loud with the volume (on the speakers) still at 0.

Laptop onboard out -> mini -> rca -> speakers
Speakers: M-Audio DX4.

the beeps are also in a pattern. I think it's been consistent every time.

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd forgotten to check this thread even tho I listed it in my subcriptions.

@OP: For the noise you get from the phone. is it a BZZZZz only. or also the beeps?

I randomly get the beeps every now and then, but if I'm about to recieve a call..my speakers go BZZZZZZZZZZ (before my ringtone even goes off) and a few seconds later I get the beeps. and my phone is a GSM network phone. though the phones of my other friends/roomates do not seem to interfere [I'll look into this more, one of my roomates just got a iPhone, but my speakers are being shipped to m-audio because one of my friends somehow thought it was the volume knob and pushed in my tweeter...]. Alot of them are also on cingular (gsm) like me, but have samsungs. I know for sure my friend with verizon phone hasn't induced the problem, because he regularly uses my laptop/speakers all at the same desk.

--edit v2--
even at 0 volume, I get the beeps quite audibly. Sometimes even with the volume only turned up a bit..the beeps get really loud. I'm not sure if the beeps have ever gotten really loud with the volume (on the speakers) still at 0.

Laptop onboard out -> mini -> rca -> speakers
Speakers: M-Audio DX4.

the beeps are also in a pattern. I think it's been consistent every time.

well, actually, I hadn't be referring to interference from my phone....
however, i do experience this as well. (bzzz and beeps)

from what I have been told, and gathered from my own experiences, the gsm network for some reason creates interference like you've mentioned. however, cdma networks, such as verizon, do not cause these issues.

prior to this summer, i was a customer with verizon, and never experienced any problems. whenever i have had friends with AT&T phones around, i would experience this issue. then, this summer, i switched to AT&T (iphone), and now am subject to the same problems.

i just charge my phone on the other side of the room, and its fine.

(oh, and sorry to hear about your tweeter. thats no fun)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back