How to properly connect M-Audio Studiophile BX5s?
Sep 2, 2007 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

jconly

Head-Fier
Hello guys,
I would really appreciate your help.

I've been running a pair of BX5s off my laptop from the headphone out port, on a Monster cable that terminates into 1/4" L and R. Altho I'm sure this isn't the best way to do it, I've gotten by so far.

Well, I've recently moved into a new apartment, and have been picking up a lot of interference. Even without the cable attached to the speakers (which seems to amplify the interference), the speakers output a lot of static.

First of all, how can I solve this issue.
Secondly, I have also saved up some money, and now want to properly run these speakers. I really want to know what they are truly capable of.

They support both XLR and 1/4", balanced and unbalanced. What are the differences, and how does balanced differ from unbalanced (which i assume i am currently running)?

I suppose this also means I am probably in the market for a DAC. USB, or the optical out my MacBook Pro has built in? I might also like to add a sub at some point, but I am more likely to invest in a pair of headphones next. I don't suppose investing in a portable DAC and heaphone amp is a good solution?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to learning more from you guys. You've all been great so far and I truly appreciate it.

Sep 2, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 39
sorry to stray a bit offtopic, but do you happen to have a sony ericson phone? Mine gives me alot of interference when it's near my DX4's .

Sep 2, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 39
No, an iphone, but it does cause interference as well.
from what i understand, it is the gsm network itself, not the type of phone.
when i had verizon, a cdma network, this was never and issue.

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jconly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've recently moved into a new apartment, and have been picking up a lot of interference. Even without the cable attached to the speakers (which seems to amplify the interference), the speakers output a lot of static.

It could be caused by the quality of the shielding in the cables you're using, but if you're using good cables, it may be a power-related problem. If that's the case, you might try using a power conditioner. Consider looking at the Isobar series by Tripp-Lite as a bare minimum. They can be found for cheap all the time on eBay as they're popular with computer labs around the country (just be sure to get a newer model, evident by the non-cursive logo).

4124CFBR9WL._AA280_.jpg

Note: Power conditioners can negatively affect sound quality, so if your problem is solved with new cables or balanced connections, it's best not to use one, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jconly
They support both XLR and 1/4", balanced and unbalanced. What are the differences, and how does balanced differ from unbalanced (which i assume i am currently running)?

XLR and 1/4" TRS are both possible balanced configurations, the only difference being that XLR has a more secure locking connector. Normal cables have two internal connections, signal and ground. This means that the signal is being sent and returned using the same connection. Voltage differences between devices can cause ground hum. A balanced signal has three connections: forward signal, reverse signal, and ground. This eliminates practically every form of signal interference, including EMI, RFI, and the aforementioned ground noise.

Quote:

I suppose this also means I am probably in the market for a DAC. USB, or the optical out my MacBook Pro has built in? I might also like to add a sub at some point, but I am more likely to invest in a pair of headphones next. I don't suppose investing in a portable DAC and heaphone amp is a good solution?

The E-MU 0404 USB (~$200) would solve everything for you. It's a USB DAC with a powered headphone output, balanced TRS outputs, and a Direct Monitor output knob that allows you to control the volume of your monitors.

cre2.jpg

Sep 2, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 39
Thank you so much for the great reply.
I have a few more questions.

First of all, it sounds like my first step is to go ahead and purchase myself a DAC and some new cables. No sense in getting a power conditioner if changing the cables solves the issue. Although, I do doubt that will solve the issue.

Now about the EMU 0404. I'm assuming the headphone out does not negate the need for a headphone amp? Or would it be able to power cans such as the Ultrasone Proline 750s?
About the monitor volume control knob...my speakers are powered monitors. I've been told it is harmful to run another amp inline. If the 0404 does indeed act as an amp for a set of cans, will it be doing the same for my monitors?

USB vs Optical
It seems that this device can accept both sources. Is one preferable over the other? Perhaps this question might be more geared for the computer as source forum, as I would imagine it might depend on the optical out quality of my laptop. If so, sorry.

Cables.
It sounds to me like balanced XLR is the way to go.
Are there any particular brands or specs I should focus my attention on?

Again, thank you for all you help. I'm going to look into the EMU 0404 a little more today.

Sep 2, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 39
I have an older pair of BX5s and even plugged into a very good power conditioner, I still get a bit of noise. Barely audible from any distance greater than a couple of feet. I have a new house and the electric is pretty clean so I'm convinced it is the speakers themselves. When I hook them up via a balanced XLR cable, that slight noise does not increase even when I crank the volume to max on the passive controller of my Central Station. Even if I set the volume to minimum on the monitor itself, the noise is still there. If I crank the volume to max it does get louder but only at the last 1/8 of a turn. Otherwise, the noise is at a steady volume.

I love how the M Audio monitors sound. I have two pair of BX8s as well. But I'm thinking of replacing my 5s for something that will give me absolute blackground.

Sep 2, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 39
Strange,
Although before me move I did notice a little noise every now and then, I can't say I've ever had a constant problem before.

I must agree about the sound. Although I've never heard them through a DAC before, or any other souce aside from my laptops built in soundcard, I do think they are amazing speakers.

They were my first set of real speakers. Picked them up after I said to heck with my Klipsch 5.1s.

Oh, and I've been juat casually looking at a few other threads mentioning the EMU0404. Seems like I'll go the optical route, but I think I should keep my eyes open for other options as well. I noticed a few unfavorable comments on some other threads, but havent done aby research yet. Perhaps now that I have a base understanding of XLR vs TRS, and balanced and unbalanced, perhaps it might be more beneficial to move my DAC questions to the computer thread?

Sep 2, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 39
I highly recommend the Presonus Central Station. It has a terrific built-in DAC (optical and coax in). There is a passive volume control for you BX5s. And on top of all that it has two terrific headamps. I use them all the time. I also used the balanced cue out to drive my balanced K701s so I have volume control. It really is a remarkable unit.

Sep 2, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Thank you so much for the great reply.
I have a few more questions.

First of all, it sounds like my first step is to go ahead and purchase myself a DAC and some new cables. No sense in getting a power conditioner if changing the cables solves the issue. Although, I do doubt that will solve the issue.

Now about the EMU 0404. I'm assuming the headphone out does not negate the need for a headphone amp? Or would it be able to power cans such as the Ultrasone Proline 750s?
About the monitor volume control knob...my speakers are powered monitors. I've been told it is harmful to run another amp inline. If the 0404 does indeed act as an amp for a set of cans, will it be doing the same for my monitors?

USB vs Optical
It seems that this device can accept both sources. Is one preferable over the other? Perhaps this question might be more geared for the computer as source forum, as I would imagine it might depend on the optical out quality of my laptop. If so, sorry.

Cables.

Again, thank you for all you help. I'm going to look into the EMU 0404 a little more today.

With the 0404/USB,balance TRS cables are the way to go. XLR cables are unsupported.

Sep 2, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

It has its own internal headphone amplification section, so you wouldn't need a separate headphone amplifier unless you wanted to significantly upgrade.

Quote:

No, only the headphone jack is amplified in that way. The 0404's monitor output acts as a preamplifier; it can boost or attenuate the signal going out to active monitors, which then perform the power amplification themselves.

Quote:

USB vs Optical

Both have strengths and weaknesses... I'd go with USB since that's the way the box was designed, but you could also try the laptop's optical or S/PDIF outputs (if it has them) to see if there's a difference.

Quote:

Cables.

Mogami is popular among studios and audio stores. Monster isn't bad, but it's overpriced. Personally, I'd have a pair of TRS cables made by http://www.bluejeanscable.comBlue Jeans Cable (which is what I plan to do when my own studio monitors arrive). They make some of the best no-nonsense cables in the business by spec'ing out broadcast quality parts. Whichever route you choose, plan on spending about $60 total for both cables.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly recommend the Presonus Central Station. It has a terrific built-in DAC (optical and coax in). There is a passive volume control for you BX5s. And on top of all that it has two terrific headamps. I use them all the time. I also used the balanced cue out to drive my balanced K701s so I have volume control. It really is a remarkable unit.

x2, it's feature-loaded. But it's also $499.99, which is $200 more than the cost of his monitors.
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 39
Well I picked up the $30 Furman today.
It would be going back tomorrow if ut werent for the holiday.
Its going back on Tuesday.

I pluged it in, but it made no difference. The guy at the store told me it was nothing more than a glorified power strip, and instead directed me to a $120 unit. I'm not sure wether I should believe him or not, nor do I know yet if it actually my AC or the cables. It's never been a problem before the move though. Regardless, I feel foolish investing a ton of money in these relatively cheap speakers.

EDIT: Now that I've read the manual, it turns out thats actually all it is. A power strip. I suppose I'll be searching Ebay for the Isobar. I've also noticed how terrible my spelling has been recently. I guess that's what I get for posting message thru my phone.

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

The guy at the store told me it was nothing more than a glorified power strip, and instead directed me to a $120 unit...

EDIT: Now that I've read the manual, it turns out thats actually all it is. A power strip.

Ack, that's terrible... Sorry about the recommendation--I've removed it from my other post. I figured that since it said "power conditioner" on the front panel that it conditioned the power.
confused.gif

I'm assuming the sales guy recommended the Furman PL-Plus II or similar. I have the original PL-Plus left over from a rack-mounted guitar rig, and in my experience it affected the sound quality in the same way as the Isobar, so they're probably on par. The Isobars still go for less on eBay since there aren't guitarists and pro audio guys looking for them. I got an Isobar Ultra 6 for something like $15 + shipping, and I see that there are a few on eBay for under $25 shipped. If it doesn't help your problem, at least you'll have a great surge protector for your computer and audio equipment.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Regardless, I feel foolish investing a ton of money in these relatively cheap speakers.

Just remember that all of the equipment you're looking at now will scale as you upgrade. Many of these items are essentials that you'll want sooner or later, so it's nice to get these mini-upgrades out of the way.

Sep 3, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ack, that's terrible... Sorry about the recommendation--I've removed it from my other post. I figured that since it said "power conditioner" on the front panel that it conditioned the power.
confused.gif

Hey no worries. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help so far.
And yes, the sales guy did recommend the Furman PL-Plus II. I'll probably just place a bid on ebay.

Sep 3, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

By "power conditioner" they mean the single little RFI suppression film cap that's inside it.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #15 of 39
Well, I got my Tripp Lite Iso Bar in the mail today.
It helped. Didn't solve the problem, but certainly helped.
I'll be upgrading my cables, and probably picking up the 0404 as well, although I did place another post in the Computer-As-Source forums, just to see if I can pick up any more advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back