How to prevent frayed cords with earphones?
Aug 12, 2008 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TJ Max

500+ Head-Fier
In the past I've owned a number of earphones inlcuding a couple sets of Westone UM2s, Super-Fi 3s, and Klipsch Custom-3, and they have all met the same fate. After 5-14 months of usage, the cords develop a short. Causeing me to have to hold them at an angle just to get them to work.

Now I honestly believe that I take really good care of them, but something is wrong. I don't yank the cords or tie them in knotts or anything. When I store them I always gently roll the cords up and place it in either its case or my shirt pocket depending on where I am. Perhaps I'm over looking something.

I use my IEMs daily with MP3 playsers such as the Creative Zen and Mirosoft Zune.

What cause cords to get frayed? What am I doing wrong? Is there anyway to prevent this from happening? Its just really fustrating when you have 100-300 dollar IEMs that aren't supposed to be cheap.

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 8
Well, SF3 has a replaceable cable, right? Why not replace the cable?

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 8
You misunderstand I'm speaking in a general sense with any IEM, and just because I can replace a cord is besides the point. If I'm carful enough I should'nt have to.

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 8
My response to your thread title was going to be "don't buy Shures", but having read the post I'm not sure what to say any more.
tongue.gif

I've had this problem with Shures and UEs before, but their cables and shoddy anyway. I'm quite surprised this happened with the Westones though. I've never seen the Klipsch ones in person. I baby my IEMs though.

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 8
How are you positioning your player when you have the 'phones plugged in? Inadvertently putting slight but repeated stress on the plug or a certain part of the cable could lead that stress point to wear down over time (for example, if you have the player upright in your front pants pocket so your body or belt presses against the earphone plug when you bend and sit)...

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 8
I've been through 4 cords the last two years with my Superfi 5 Pros, I've been hard on them, but they just don't hold up well. My brother's Shure E4c's cables also went out, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that buying IEMs with replaceable cable is the best way to go. They are usually only around $20, and most companies will replace the cable for free within the warranty period. UE replaced all four, plus a brand new pair of Superfi 5 pros during warranty period.

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 8
With cheapo IEMs or earbuds cable damage is normal. Toss 'em out and replace them. But with a (I'd say $75+) IEM, a cheap cable that wears out easily really SUCKS!! I'd definitely look for something that has the replaceable cable option, especially if it's under warranty.

I'm always really careful with my stuff and I'm surprised by friends who beat on their stuff. Even with cheap ones like SC and Marshmallows I'm careful(especially with the FX-33 since JVC doesn't make them anymore
frown.gif
). But I accidentally killed a Sony behind the neck by pulling it out of my backpack wrong.

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for your replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My response to your thread title was going to be "don't buy Shures", but having read the post I'm not sure what to say any more.
tongue.gif

I've had this problem with Shures and UEs before, but their cables and shoddy anyway. I'm quite surprised this happened with the Westones though. I've never seen the Klipsch ones in person. I baby my IEMs though.

I owned the Shure E4s before and I was impressed with the thick cord that it had. It at least didn't look cheap. However I was unimpressed with the sound and didn't keep them long.
I've had 2 pairs of UM2 go bad on me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are you positioning your player when you have the 'phones plugged in? Inadvertently putting slight but repeated stress on the plug or a certain part of the cable could lead that stress point to wear down over time (for example, if you have the player upright in your front pants pocket so your body or belt presses against the earphone plug when you bend and sit)...

This is plausible, in that I do place the player in my pocket. I am contious of the cord positioning but I can't be sure all the time. It just may be that the cord is getting more stressed in a spot more than I realize. I think the cords that have the straight plugs instead of the "L" shaped plugs could prevent this. Are there any IEMs that do have the straight plugs? I 've never seen one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been through 4 cords the last two years with my Superfi 5 Pros, I've been hard on them, but they just don't hold up well. My brother's Shure E4c's cables also went out, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that buying IEMs with replaceable cable is the best way to go. They are usually only around $20, and most companies will replace the cable for free within the warranty period. UE replaced all four, plus a brand new pair of Superfi 5 pros during warranty period.

I agree replacable cables are the best way to go. Thats what I admire about the UEs. I'm currently waiting for my replacement Klipcsh Custom-3, but the next I time I go to try another I may invest in the UE Triple.FIs. Any one know how different they sound from Super.Fi 5 pros? I thought the Super.Fi pros were muddy, I prefer the Super.Fi 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back