How to Power a Beyer DT880 250 ohm for under $200?
Feb 17, 2009 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jstalz

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking at purchasing a pair of Beyer DT880s that I have found cheapest on ebay. I know it would be much easier to power the 32ohm version, but it seems as if the 250 ohm version is available for much cheaper.

Anyone have a recommendation for a portable companion to a DT880 for under $200? Maybe even under $150? Im not so sure thats a possibility, but I would sure love if it is.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 13
Lower impedance drivers are usually more difficult to drive than high impedance loads. The classic example is the Apogee ribbon loudspeakers - they present something like 1.2 Ohm load. Apogees will melt lesser amps.

Then again, the sensitivity of the headphones, the output impedance of the amp, and the amp's power all play into the equation. A headphone's impedance, by itself, tells you very little. It's like trying to figure out how fast a car is when you only know its horsepower. There's a relationship but you don't have enough information to figure out how fast the car is.

Do you really need a portable amp, though? I've found that the DT880 responds best with plenty of power and I like it best with tubes. If you're mostly goig to listen at home, consider buying a desktop amp.

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 13
I do not necessarily NEED a portable amp. I was just hoping to find a well suited portable for the 880s because I am on a relatively tight budget at this point. Hopefully I will be able to upgrade to a desktop amp in the future, but for now I do need to find something cheaper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lower impedance drivers are usually more difficult to drive than high impedance loads. The classic example is the Apogee ribbon loudspeakers - they present something like 1.2 Ohm load. Apogees will melt lesser amps.

Then again, the sensitivity of the headphones, the output impedance of the amp, and the amp's power all play into the equation. A headphone's impedance, by itself, tells you very little. It's like trying to figure out how fast a car is when you only know its horsepower. There's a relationship but you don't have enough information to figure out how fast the car is.

Thanks for the help though Uncle Erik

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #6 of 13
picard-facepalm.jpg

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 13
well. I'm just confused why you would go with portable amps with non-portable cans. Portable amps are not as cost-effective as home-based amps (although not always, since there are tons of crappy home amps as there are crappy portable amps). But generally, home amps can be budget-minded too, especially pre-made DIY amps.

I personally liked Millet Hybrid + DT880 combo better than any portable amp combos.

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well. I'm just confused why you would go with portable amps with non-portable cans. Portable amps are not as cost-effective as home-based amps (although not always, since there are tons of crappy home amps as there are crappy portable amps). But generally, home amps can be budget-minded too, especially pre-made DIY amps.

I personally liked Millet Hybrid + DT880 combo better than any portable amp combos.

Only for budget purposes have I been considering a portable amp. Also I travel a bit from apartment to house with my laptop for weekends and such.

I have searched google for the Millet Hybrid and havent found much. Any links would be helpful.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #13 of 13
If you weren't going to be traveling around with it much, I'd say pick up some form of Little Dot Tube AMP. The general consensus, after reading countless threads, has been that DT880s fair VERY well with tubes.
I've got a LD MKIII coming tomorrow so I'll finally get to experience that firsthand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back