How to not be an audiophile
Dec 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #47 of 64
I concur with the object in your statement here as I do believe HD600 is one of the greatest headphones ever made with no true successor, not even the HD800. But change the object in question, and we would have a completely different outcome. Say, DT880 vs T1 price/performance difference is much easier to justify than HD600 vs HD800.

How about K702 and K812? :wink_face:

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #48 of 64
I think if I had never discovered head-fi I would genuinely believe that my Cowon J3 and Shure 535 IEMs would be as good as sound could get on the move - is that a good or bad belief system? Discus...

Sounds good to me!

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #49 of 64
  I think if I had never discovered head-fi I would genuinely believe that my Cowon J3 and Shure 535 IEMs would be as good as sound could get on the move - is that a good or bad belief system? Discus...

Does believing you've got "as good as it gets" equate to deriving the most joy out of your music.  Maybe you are truly better off it you enjoy the experience more now.  On the other hand, the added joy may be temporary.  Will it be as much fun in 6 months as it is now.  This I can't answer now but I should have an opinion in about 6 months.

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #50 of 64

Will it be as much fun in 6 months as it is now.  This I can't answer now but I should have an opinion in about 6 months.

ands another one six months later 
wink_face.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #51 of 64
How about K702 and K812?
wink_face.gif

I've never heard K702, but if I compare Q701 to K812, the NZ price for each is $500 and $2,000 respectively, so it might still be justifiable. Amazon price though, I believe Q701 cost $200 and K812 which might not be able to get from Amazon yet, will retail for $1,500. At that price, I personally would find it difficult to justify the price difference.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #52 of 64
Something like 90% of the public CANNOT hear a difference between 320 and FLAC so to me FLAC is a little unnecessary

Great, now I'll want to test if I'm in the 10%, and if not with one pair then maybe with that one other. Thanks a lot!

How can I delete this message? 

You can't. It's now quoted for posterity.
tongue.gif
I want a delete button too.

You know why we do what we do, right? It's like what Sennheiser said, "Because good enough, is never good enough"
biggrin.gif

Yeah, some follow that for some things, but it's not practical to apply to everything. Pick your battles sort of a thing, only this is nice. One would hope.

You guys with your 200 buck DAC AMP and your 200 buck HPs basically have by far and away the best value for money in this game - you're 90% of the way there already. Going from 20 buck HPs to 200 buck HPs is a "woah", going from 200 buck HPs to 2000 buck headphones is more of an "oh" in comparison.

THIS is what I'm trying to find. But I guess that forum is a bit flooded so I get few replies. Shameless plug

I have no idea how good or bad these are in absolute terms, but I think that's what matters. If you could get a major (and let's say affordable) improvement, and you don't because you don't know about it, you're still missing out.

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #53 of 64
In 1975 I bought a Sony receiver, a Thorens turntable, and a pair of Dynaco speakers.  I was happy with this system for a dozen years until CDs came along and had me rethink everything. Was it the best system in the world? No. Do I wish I still had it? Yes!

I love my microStreamer a lot but the chances of me still listening to it in 10 years are close to zero.  What a world.

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #54 of 64
  In 1975 I bought a Sony receiver, a Thorens turntable, and a pair of Dynaco speakers.  I was happy with this system for a dozen years until CDs came along and had me rethink everything. Was it the best system in the world? No. Do I wish I still had it? Yes!

I love my microStreamer a lot but the chances of me still listening to it in 10 years are close to zero.  What a world.

Habits and lifestyles also change. 15 years ago I didn't commute anywhere much and drove a lot more so in car music was important. for the last ten years I've been commuting so personal hifi has become important. For the last few years I've been working away from home for a good number of 3-4 day stints so a decent hotel rig is becoming much more important to me.

Who knows what will be in 10 years, I could imagine still having my LCD-2, but not the DX-100...

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #55 of 64
Hey, I like my philosophy. Just buy used and wait for the good prices - nothing to lose.. That is until I find something I just can't live without. Has happened too many times now 
wink.gif

So I'll keep fooling myself by saying I only buy at good prices and don't really loose much on this hobby, really. No, it's an investment, right???

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #57 of 64

1) Stick to 256k mp3s.  These are the files you've already got.  They can sound awesome.  Resist the urge to even try some hidef. You will receive offers to try out hidef files for free.  Ignore them. 

I just discovered that you can purchase 320kbps mp3s on many, but not all, selections at www.7digital.com .  Prices seem to be in line with typical 256kbps files. Works for me.

320k eh? You've already broken rule one and only been here two days and three hours...  
wink_face.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #58 of 64

320k eh? You've already broken rule one and only been here two days and three hours...  
wink_face.gif

Oh, no.  This looks really bad.  Can I get a little slack for still avoiding HiDef?  I'm still in 16/41 territory, right?  And the cost; it's the same, right?  You can't be an audiophile and listen to 16/41. It's true. I just made it up.

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #59 of 64

Oh, no.  This looks really bad.  Can I get a little slack for still avoiding HiDef?  I'm still in 16/41 territory, right?  And the cost; it's the same, right?  You can't be an audiophile and listen to 16/41. It's true. I just made it up.

it's a slippery slope, and you're on it...  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back