Hi. I like the sound of the M500s. People with more expertise than me say they're very neutral, with a lot of detail and clarity. Most find them extremely comfortable as well, and in the my quick test they seemed fine.
Please suggest other headphones to have a look at if I'd like...
Have to have:
- Sound - more or less neutral (a bit v-shape would be OK I guess) sound with a lot of detail and clarity. No harsh highs.
- Comfort - KEF M500s are probably the least clamping, most comfortable on-the-ear headphones. Ideally, I'd like over-the-ear phones with deep ear cups that swivel in all directions.
- Quality - none of that "my $300 headphones have cheap plastic that cracks with normal use".
Nice to have:
- Isolation - if they can be closed-back, that'd be great.
- Overall size - if they can be lightweight and not huge, that's a plus.
Budget is about $350 but that's flexible, as I'd like one good pair. I'll consider dac/amp as well, but I'd prefer a pair that doesn't really need them.
Tried and did not like the sound for various reasons:
Sennheiser Momentum, Sennheiser HD 598, Sennheiser HD 449, Bose AE2, Klipsch Image ONE II.
Tried and liked the sound:
KEF M500 - current top choice, despite the wa
KRK KNS 8400 - Liked them, but would prefer less bass and a bit less highs. Ear cups not deep enough.
AKG Q701 - sounds seemed OK, but didn't give a good listen because they weren't comfortable.
Thanks in advance for any comments.
On my to research list, in case anyone wants to comment:
Beyerdynamic T50p / T51p - on the ear
Beyerdynamic T 70p - $570 (Canadian) is on the high side - is it worth it?
beyerdynamic Custom ONE PRO - not that clear?
AKG K550 / K551 - size/comfort?