How to make Windows Media Player output to USB instead of PC speakers?
Jul 28, 2014 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ruthieandjohn

Stumbling towards enlightenment
(Formerly known as kayandjohn.)
I just received a Sennheiser HDVD 800 DAC/amp, and I am trying to make my Windows Media player from my Windows 7 PC play its digital file out through the USB port rather than through the PC speaker.

Somewhere I was given the answer "just plug your DAC/amp into the USB port and the computer will automatically sense it and redirect its Windows Media Player file to it."

Nope!

I installed the Sennheiser HDVD USB driver.

Still Nope!

I went to Windows Media Player "More options/speakers/(dropdown:  Senn HDVD 800 USB / other / other)

Freezes.

I suspect if I knew what everyone does (exclusive of the Senn HDVD 800 driver or DAC) to send their digital music from Windows Media Player out the USB port, I'd be fine.

Anyone can help me? 

Thanks!

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 3
I'm not sure if this is just too obvious for you to have mentioned doing it, but just in case you're just too used to Windows doing things automatically...
There should be a white speaker icon in your tray (bottom right of your screen).
Right click on it, select "Playback devices".

Your "USB audio device" should, in small letters under whatever it calls it, be labelled as a "USB audio device".
Select the icon and/or name it's given it, and press "Set default".

Sorry if this seems a little obvious... : P

Oh, and you said you fiddled with what Win' Media Player uses for speakers? Go back into that option, and make sure it's set to the default audio device.

Edit: This is really hard to word in a way that isn't offensive without knowing if you've done this or not xD

Jul 28, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 3
  I'm not sure if this is just too obvious for you to have mentioned doing it, but just in case you're just too used to Windows doing things automatically...
There should be a white speaker icon in your tray (bottom right of your screen).
Right click on it, select "Playback devices".

Your "USB audio device" should, in small letters under whatever it calls it, be labelled as a "USB audio device".
Select the icon and/or name it's given it, and press "Set default".

Sorry if this seems a little obvious... : P

Oh, and you said you fiddled with what Win' Media Player uses for speakers? Go back into that option, and make sure it's set to the default audio device.

Edit: This is really hard to word in a way that isn't offensive without knowing if you've done this or not xD

Robbietalk, this is NOT too obvious... it is EXACTLY the level of info I need.

However, when I right click on the speaker and then "devices", the only choices listed are

• Speaker/HP (Realtek High Definition Output Device)
  • Digital Output (optical)(Realtek High Definition Output Device)

I don't have optical output.

Never Mind... your approach WORKS!  YAY!  Thank you!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back