How to make IEM more comfortable?
Sep 29, 2011 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jschristian44

Member of the Trade: Justin's Headphone Modding
CAUTION: Incomplete trades
I have always tried to stay clear of IEMs because they hurt my ears after a few hours.  I stick with my full sized to game and watch movies and IEM to listen to music.  I was recommended to use Foam Tips to help, but those actually make it worse.  Is there anyway to make it not hurt the inner ear after a while or is that just common?

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 13
try the hybrid phiatons. i personally have never used them, but i know that they have the half in ear design, so you get all the good qualities of iems (touching the skin so get good bass response, but not so much isolation) without the pain that some may feel with iems. 

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 13
i am used to it in a certain extent, its just when i pull them out my ears hurt so much.  i think its because they expand my ears.  i can tell that my ear canals and stuff are wider than they were before i think.  maybe its all in my head, no pun intended.  i think its just the nature of iems though.  having something in your ear for that long is going to cause some pain.  full size phones dont really give you pain unless they clamp hard.  the ad700 were the most comfortable headphone i ever had a chance to try.  the hd555 isnt far behind it though.  the modded hd555 is basically what i want, just more detail and a little more bass.  but they are the best all arounders i have come across in the low-mid price range.  the highest high end iem i have tried were the re-zero.  i have a pair of re0 now.  cant wait to test everything on the new fiio e10 amp i preordered.

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 13
The same thing happened to me (the pain of pulling the iem out). But that happens only with the Ultimate Ears Metro Fis. The pain disappeared after using the UE 600s (soft silicones!) and the W4 has no problem at all.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 13
yes this is true about some iems.  some hurt more than others.  but i have always used the single or dual flange silicone plugs.  have tried the foam ones which should have been more comfortable but none of them fit well enough/

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 13
There is an easy fix for IEM discomfort...take one pair of Klipsch eargels and all will be cured!

Ive been using them for 4 years and often use IEMs for 10+ hours per day without any discomfort!

(disclaimer: the Klipsch eargels will only fit IEMs with thin sound tubes, e.g. shure, westone, etymotic, future sonics etc).

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 13
+1 on klipsch tips, they are just about the only tips i can stand. i find them way more comfortable than others. 
the only other suggestion i have is customs... or getting your current IEM's custom remolded.

Sep 30, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 13
eh i have been reading and i have ordered the foam earplugs you use for sleeping.  i read a site where you cut them in half, poke a hole through and they are just as good as complys.  so i am gonna try that.  i don't really have any other things to try, thank you!

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
There is an easy fix for IEM discomfort...take one pair of Klipsch eargels and all will be cured!

Ive been using them for 4 years and often use IEMs for 10+ hours per day without any discomfort!

(disclaimer: the Klipsch eargels will only fit IEMs with thin sound tubes, e.g. shure, westone, etymotic, future sonics etc).

By Klipsch eargels do you mean these: http://www.klipsch.com/oval-ear-tips-medium ?
If they are, then where are they available for purchase (I can't find a Buy button on that site).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back