How to make an interconnect Step by Step With Pics
Apr 5, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #856 of 1,012
guys, I'm having a good deal on this OCC wire : CryoParts Copper Hook Up Wire

so I think I'll build a 10ft cable for my DT770, hopefully the mono-crystal copper will do wonders....I'll be using a furutech 1/4" and will keep it single-entry but I'll rewire the cable that goes between the 2 cups
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm just not sure if I wanna go quad or simply keep 3 wires ?! some ppl say that the ground should exceed the 2 other wires, and some say it shouldn't
confused.gif

and should I litzbraid it? some ppl say that it increases the skin effect(my worst nightmare)
confused.gif

BTW, I found this post very interesting...as I've noticed IRL several of the things he's pinpointing
redface.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/si...6/#post3160410

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #858 of 1,012
bought some kimber PBJ and tried to make an interconnect RCA to RCA.

i hear a bit of buzzing from time to time?

i connected 1 lead wire and 2 grounds, is that correct?

May 2, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #859 of 1,012
I'd like some clarification on something if you guys could help. I'd like to make a 15' extension cable for my Grados to my amp. It would be 1/4" jack on one side and a 1/4" plug on the other.

If I used star quad cable, would I solder the 2 blues together, the 2 whites together, then solder the pairs to signal and ground one each side of the cord?

I don't have to do anything with any braiding do I? I don't really understand the "solder the braid on the source side only" stuff.

Sort of like this?

P1010823.jpg

Never mind, it's stereo, so I know where all the wires go.

May 14, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #860 of 1,012
I want to make short RCA/RCA interconnects that will connect my DAC to amplifier.
I got two wires that I can use and wonder which is better for a job.
One is Canare L-4E6S starquad and other is Canare LV-61S Coax.
Which one should I use?

May 14, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #861 of 1,012
Depends. If you want minimal crosstalk, go with the coax, if you want easy-peasy, go for the starquad
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #863 of 1,012
Correct you are! Please do put some pics up in the DIY cable gallery
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #865 of 1,012
Hi,
I’ve started doing my RCA interconnects last night using Yarbo 50RB plugs which were recommended earlier in a tread. The problem is, at first I couldn’t find the spot to solder shield to and after some searching on the net I found tutorial where similar plugs (probably cardas) are used. And then I discovered “bridge” which I need to bend and solder shield to. Well, I did so and that little bridge shattered on 4 pieces. I didn’t use a lot of force. What I’m doing wrong?

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #866 of 1,012
Wow...I actually read all 58 pages of this, as well as browsed the Cable Gallery. I had a few questions that eventually were answered, like the size difference between Star Quad and Mini Start Quad (6mm and 4.5mm respectively). I learned a TON about building all sorts of cables...which as I only do mini-mini currently I won't need to know.

The one thing I saw a lot of people asking, but not answering, was.."Where is a good place to buy small quantities and not get taken on shipping etc).

I run my own electrical (motorcycle wiring harnesses and parts) business, so I am fully aware of how much it costs to ship, and the time involved. $11 for shipping a tiny box is insane...but Markertek has the best assortment. Anywhere else carry the mini star quad cable in red, and the Neutrik or Switchcraft angled mini ends? Worse than paying too much for shipping is paying too much for shipping from two seperate places!

I need to build a 6-8" mini-mini cable for my MP3 Player to amp, as well as look at options to go from Amp to my Motorcycle helmet (helmet speakers, not ear buds as I wear ear plugs)

Jul 2, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #867 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tightwad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$11 for shipping a tiny box is insane...but Markertek has the best assortment. Anywhere else carry the mini star quad cable in red, and the Neutrik or Switchcraft angled mini ends? Worse than paying too much for shipping is paying too much for shipping from two seperate places!

Tightwad, you are my kind of guy, exact question I wonder about.

gychang

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #869 of 1,012
dale pro audio has many plugs and has free shipping.

I buy cable from either markertek or redco and plugs from dale pro audio

Jul 18, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #870 of 1,012
I work for an electrical company where I build and wire PLC's. How good would an interconnect made of cat5, stranded copper wire (any gauge), or any other common wire types I could find around the shop be?

I'll definitely make some higher quality cable when I make a better project, but I'm kind of looking for a quick fix right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back