How to make an interconnect Step by Step With Pics
Feb 19, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #826 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by thedips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unless its cardas quad eutectic solder
biggrin.gif

Damn. I'm going to have to try that stuff; it looks interesting.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #827 of 1,012
Quote:

unless its cardas quad eutectic solder
biggrin.gif

the 3% silver solder I tried was : "Sn96,5 Ag3 Cu0,5" and lead free(RoHS)....I thought it refused to stick to the 1/4 gold neutrik coz my iron wasn't hot enough(even though it did melt).

do you think it's because its "formula" isn't accurate for gold contact....and that the cardas would work
confused.gif

Quote:

what effects do you get when you mix the diferent properties of wire when making your connectors like mixing (OFC / COPPER PLATED SILVER / SILVER WIRE) for ground and signal or using different AWG for signal ground....???

I've run many searches on the forum, ppl advise against it.....copper is warmer(I agree) and the better quality it is the warmer it gets, and apparently silver is bright...prolly SPC is your best option, but I personally like very thick rubber sleeved cables, the leitz cables on ALOAUDIO look terrible.....and prolly rather annoying in everyday's life
redface.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #828 of 1,012
Lee, were you heating the solder or the contact?

Also if that's not a eutectic blend (I don't recognize that blend since I haven't messed with copper-bearing solders much) then get one that is...eutectic = major win.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #829 of 1,012
first I melted the solder on the iron, then I heated the solder w/ the wire in its final location....and it refused to stick, my cheapo "SN60PB" mix did work right away.

I might consider redoing the whole thing with :
-Cardas solder
-using the cable in the direction shown by the arrows >>>> on its sleeve
-not connecting the OFC shielding braid on either sides(it's connected to the 1/4 TRS ground at this point)
-using split grounds in the phones, and not common

the question is : will that make ANY audible difference at all
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #830 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then I heated the solder w/ the wire in its final location

I'm pretty sure that whenever possible you should apply heat to the thing you're trying to solder, not to the solder itself. But I'm strictly amateur-hour at this still, so maybe someone else can confirm?

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #831 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure that whenever possible you should apply heat to the thing you're trying to solder, not to the solder itself. But I'm strictly amateur-hour at this still, so maybe someone else can confirm?

I pre-applied some solder on the wires, it worked fine w/ my cheapo solder....prolly my 3% silver solder isn't meant to be soldered on gold ?! I dunno
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #832 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You're right. Soldering a headphone jack however is one of the situations where you might want to bend the rules a little. Some connectors have a poor dielectric that melts too easily, so you have to minimize the amount of time you apply heat. By putting the solder on the iron and then touching the part, you actually get better heat transfer because the surface area that is in contact increases. This can work well to minimize the time it takes to make the joint.

There are a couple main reasons you want to apply heat to the part and let the part melt the solder. First, solder is attracted to heat, so it's hard to get it off the iron if it starts there. The other main reason is the fluxes will burn off very quickly so you may get a poorer joint if you put the solder on the iron first. By the time you try to transfer the solder to the parts, the flux is already gone and you are dealing with the first problem.

Something that can't be stressed enough around here... if it sounds good to you, then just enjoy it
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #833 of 1,012
apparently, silver solder was not created to improve the audio quality....but simply because SN60PB didn't cope with soldering on silver too well :
Welborne Labs Solder

Quote:

We are not 100% convinced that a silver-bearing solder actually makes an audible improvement over a nonsilver-bearing solder. In fact, some of the solders currently marketed as audiophile grade don’t even contain silver

and my SN60PB would be a good choice for audio :

HeadWize: DIY Workshop > Solder wire

Quote:

60% Tin & 40% Lead is the type that is commonly used for electronic work.

and apparently everyone advises to connect the shielding braid to the 1/4 connector ground only....

I think I'll leave it as it is
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #834 of 1,012
Quote:

and my SN60PB would be a good choice for audio :

HeadWize: DIY Workshop > Solder wire

60% Tin & 40% Lead is the type that is commonly used for electronic work.

You definitely want a eutectic blend solder. There are several formulations that are eutectic, but I don't think 60/40 tin/lead is one of them.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #836 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You definitely want a eutectic blend solder. There are several formulations that are eutectic, but I don't think 60/40 tin/lead is one of them.

I will order some Cardas anyway, but do you think resoldering the neutrik 1/4 would even matter ? like the SQ improvement woud be audible ?
biggrin.gif

the headphones output in my soundcard is most likely using 60/40 anyhow
redface.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #837 of 1,012
Soldering generally only has a SQ impact if you screw up.

The point of eutectic alloys is that the temperature band at which it liquefies is very narrow. This means that it melts very quickly when the right temperature is reached (to which end, you set your iron appropriately if possible) and then it resolidifies quickly as it cools.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #838 of 1,012
Yes, the idea of eutectic is that it goes immediately from solid to liquid and back - there is no pasty stage in between, which reduces the chances of causing a cold joint. 63/37 is good but I prefer 62/36/2 (silver).

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #840 of 1,012
Quote:

the headphones output in my soundcard is most likely using 60/40 anyhow
redface.gif

Maybe, but it doesn't matter if that is eutectic or not. The advantage of eutectic blends is for hand soldering. You're sound card was manufactured using a method where the parts did not move, so there was no chance of spoiling the bond during the "pastey" stage mentioned above.

Having worked in SMD manufacturing, I'm not 100% sure why 62/36/2 would be better. I suspect it has a lower melting point. The goal with SMD reflowing was always to get the board "just hot enough" to make good joints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back