Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and still have room for 2-3 large squirrels

with or without their nuts?
wink_face.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #798 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ugh, yeah. $18 for same via Priority Mail was just silly, when it would fit in a $4 flat rate box and still have room for 2-3 large squirrels. Someplace with somewhat less padded shipping rates would be nice for small one-off orders.

i also work for a mail order company and wanted to point out that the usps does not do free pickup of packages anymore-- you either have to bring them to the post office, since security restrictions are tight about what can be put into a mail box, or you have to pay for daily pickup. paying an employee to spend time shoehorning your order into a tiny package to save you on shipping (on a low $$ order) doesn;t make financial sense for a vendor.

i don't mean for this to be mean or insulting, but the profit on small orders does not cover the labor costs or material costs for the packaging to and time to ship your order.

besides, how would the squirrels ever get to travel on their vacations if they couldn't tag a ride in your shipping boxes???? they'd probably go nuts!!!!

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #799 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i also work for a mail order company and wanted to point out that the usps does not do free pickup of packages anymore

"Your mail carrier can pickup your package for no charge."

On the front page of usps.com, right above the "Request FREE Pickup" button. I guess someone forgot to tell their webmaster? There are limitations, and I don't know that it would meet business needs if you're doing a lot of shipping, but...it's there.

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #800 of 1,012
Hello guys, I'm sorry for the probably stupid questions:

In a mini-mini interconnection cable

-which is the difference between the normal cable (for normal I mean as appearence, all those cables covered with Techflex) and the braided cable (as appearence we can see three cable braided)that I can find on the on-line shop?
I know that in the normal cable wires are all inside covered all toghether instead in the braided cable every wire has its-own cover then braided,
but Is it just appearence or is there quality difference?

I saw the star-quad cable on the Canare web-site

-Which is the difference between the Mic star-quad cable and the Speaker star-quad cable?

-I read the feature of the star-quad about opposite magnetic-fields on the Canare web-site, maybe I misunderstood it but why do you use in the star-quad one wire for each channel and others two wire for the ground?
Do you use its feature by using in this way?
Isn't there the metal braid for the ground?

Thank you!

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #801 of 1,012
yeah I plan on cannibalizing a 1/8>2 RCA Real Cable, and they used 2 wires for L/2 wires for R and the metal braid for ground....is that bad to recable my 770 ?
should I use 2 wires for ground instead ?

Feb 18, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #802 of 1,012
Pretty sure you want to ground the braid - but you do NOT want to use it for the ground signal. I'm told that doing so pretty much hoses your audio quality - remember that the ground is part of the signal path too.

Using two wires for ground is usually AOK.

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #803 of 1,012
ok thanks for the reply, that's also what I read...but if I connect the shielding to the 1/4 connector, it will still be in contact w/ the signal grounds ?!

I think I will use 1 wire for L, 1 for R, 1 for L ground, 1 for R ground and connect the braid to the 1/4 connector ground
redface.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #804 of 1,012
The ground wire carries the ground signal. You connect the shield to ground so that it is maintained at the ground potential, helping it prevent EM leakage in or out of the shielded region.

Frack if I know what to do if you have distinct L & R grounds on the same cable. Pick one and stick with it, I suppose? Or if you can conveniently connect it in such a way that it gets shorted to the chassis of the amp when connected.

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #805 of 1,012
sounds like I need to clear a couple of things up; in star quad or any cable with 4 wires and a braided shield; you are best served to use 1 each for left and right and the other 2 for ground. DO NOt USE THE SHIELD FOR GROUND. doing this opens you up for bad quality audio. and even in some cases ground loops. in a headphone cable you would normally to be safe only connect the shield at one end; the source end. some equipment will tolerate it being connected to both ends at chassis ground, but not really a good idea to connect both ends to audio ground. also in a cable that has 2 wires and a braided shield (twisted pair) his is not designed for a stereo signal, its for a mono signal, so you would use one for signal and one for ground/return and the shield at one end or chassis ground. if connecting at both ends you must make sure that both components you are connecting have a chassis ground or again you are opening yourself up for ground loops. or for RF collected by the shield ending up in the signal. so using this sort of cable for a stereo signal would be a bad idea; no matter how tempting it may be

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #806 of 1,012
ok, so the braid should be connected to the 1/4 connector ground, but NOT to the phones...makes sense, thanks!

last question please, should I keep the common ground from my 770pro and simply solder 2 wires on it.....or is it a good idea to not keep them common and have 1 wire per L/R ground until the 1/4 connector ?
and don't tell me it don't matter, it does...I think
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #807 of 1,012
I could use clarification, since I also said not to use the shield for the ground path - just to also connect it to ground in addition to the normal ground wire. Assuming the resistances are sufficiently large, it should be relatively inert from the circuit's perspective while improving shielding significantly. Your all-caps emphasis is a little ambiguous with regard to this method.

I see people recommending using two of the four wires in star quad for a redundant ground all the time. What puts it at risk for a ground loop if you ground the shield?

My connections tend to devolve into a cable jungle, so, better shielding is nice if I can get it. Ideas, perspectives, comments?

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #808 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds like I need to clear a couple of things up; in star quad or any cable with 4 wires and a braided shield; you are best served to use 1 each for left and right and the other 2 for ground. DO NOt USE THE SHIELD FOR GROUND. doing this opens you up for bad quality audio. and even in some cases ground loops. in a headphone cable you would normally to be safe only connect the shield at one end; the source end. some equipment will tolerate it being connected to both ends at chassis ground, but not really a good idea to connect both ends to audio ground. also in a cable that has 2 wires and a braided shield (twisted pair) his is not designed for a stereo signal, its for a mono signal, so you would use one for signal and one for ground/return and the shield at one end or chassis ground. if connecting at both ends you must make sure that both components you are connecting have a chassis ground or again you are opening yourself up for ground loops. or for RF collected by the shield ending up in the signal. so using this sort of cable for a stereo signal would be a bad idea; no matter how tempting it may be

Understood, thanks!
regular_smile .gif

But why did they create the star-quad cable with 4 wires?
They could do a cable with just three wires 1L,1R e 1 Ground!
Does the ground need two wires?

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #810 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive heard on this thread that it is good practice to have a ground wire for each signal wire, hence 2 grounds for 2 channels

ok so I go like this :
1 for L
1 for R
1 for L ground
1 for R ground
and the shielding braid connecting to the 1/4 connector ground, but NOT to the headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back